Used 1996 Chevrolet Camaro Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Restored projct
By Ice

1996 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2dr Coupe

Well I bought this car broken... i mean everything needed replaced. 1996 Camaro Base. Restored RS upgrade project. Even with the head gasket blown (and may others out there with the same problem) wheel bearings and brakes shot and stock exhaust old suspension, the car was still handling and driving really well. I always wanted a camaro... spend more time working on it then driving it tho. I've rebuilt the entire car inside and out. without getting into detail the car is not what was bought.. a full restore and upgrade intoa racing package. This camaro is really nice. the longevity of the interior is horrid. after an abusive first 100k family owned car and a couple dogs it wore out fast.. same issue with a hot roding driver, driving a v6 like its a tuned drift machine destroyed he running gear and blew the motor. V6 is a poor mans version of the v8 buying the car more for the looks then the power. i only bought casue it had 99k on it for 1000 bucks and still ran.... Anyway I always wanted a camaro and although i spend more time working on it then driving it. I can't say much for the gas milage as i have a new motor and its going to be crap and fluctuate for a while until it breaks in i been ranging from 15-40 mpg, also i think its definitely not the best camaro body style out there but i love the drive and feel of the car.

My baby
By cobraswa818

1996 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2dr Coupe

I love my camaro ! 220,000 mile and its in hirrble conditions. Tell you the truth? dont buy this car if you want to spen money. Parts are expencive and gas sucks. Why do i still own it? because i love my camaro and i will own it and put more money then its worth because to me its worth so much more then any thing else.

old reliable
By al's camaro

1996 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2dr Coupe

I bought the car new and still drive it everyday. The car has had no major mechanical repairs to it in all these years. I had to change an alternator once, and fixed the electric windows twice. That is it! It now has 158,000 miles on it. I will never sell my baby and will drive it for many years to come. If you are going to buy one, get one from an adult owner like myself who maintained the car. Kids just beat on them.

Reliability. I could drive this car cross country tomorrow and not have a care in the world.

n/a

Love it!
By ScottH

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2dr Coupe

My son bought this car last year as his first "muscle car", and pretty much as a "collectors car" so to speak. When he bought it, it had 28,000+ on it, now it only has in the high 29,000. Not bad for a 22 year old. Of course, he's in the Navy and it's now sitting in my garage. Everything is original including the tires! The EGR needs to be replaced, but that's it. The body paint is fantastic still, with two minor little, but deep scratches. I think he looks better driving it than his 50 year old dad, but i don't tell him that. Unfortunately, we're going to have to sell it as he has a nice vehicle with him, and it doesn't make sense having this one just sit until he gets out someday

Great Stereo, a whole lot of power. I'm 6'4", and can drive in comfort. A little hard for this old guy to get out, but i slide right in. Seats hug you.

The car seems to be really squirrely on anything but a perfect road. Of course, with the original tires, we may just have needed to replace them. Other than that, no issues at 29,000 miles

150 MPH for $5K
By Kris

1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Coupe

Bought used with 140,000 miles for $5K. Have replaced fuel pump, purge solenoid, and both catalytic converters and complete fluid change and maintenance. Car runs great and is fun to drive. Strong mechanical knowledge is recommended for ownership of this car or you will spend $$$ on labor for maintenance. If you spend a couple hours a month on it for maintenance it will give you years of trouble free service. If you neglect it it will neglect you. Replacement parts and maintenance parts are inexpensive and available everywhere. I had a "84 Z28 that had 360,00 miles on it when I sold it and it ran great.

power, handling, styling, t-tops, bose sound system, power everything, compliments