keep your 4th gen FBodies...
By zerogsx on
1992 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 2dr Hatchback
345lb-ft L98 is a torque monster. Mine was a Heritage Edition Z28, Bright Red with Black stripes. One of the more timeless designs to ever come from an auto styling studio- though I'm not crazy about the hi-rise F40-style rear spoiler of 91-92. It was my daily driver for years and I didnít make a single repair, short of tires and a small oil leak covered under warrantee. No t-tops and aftermarket subframe connectors make the body as solid as an I-beam-- no rattles/squeaks at all. Iíve owned at total of 5 third generation FBodies and loved them all. Traded it in for a 96 Z28/SS 6-speed and regret every second of it (but I needed a manual transmission!).
Favorite Features
No t-tops with L98 Z28s, thank God (I hate 'em), L98 performance (ran consistant 14.1's with just K&N's and subframe connectors at 50psi fuel pres), beautiful, clean, timeless styling. I don't know how magazines only got high 14's out of these cars? Check out www.thirdgen.org
Suggested Improvements
No manual transmission with 5.7 (T-56 swap!). First mod should be welded subframe connectors-- they make a world of difference. L98s run out of breath around 5000rpm- a few mods take care of that. Rain/Snow driving can scare the inexperienced (Chicago winters in a Z28 build character!)