Used 2004 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Blazer

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Literally drove through a blizzard.
By Erica S.

2004 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Blazer in October of 2015, for $4k at a local used car joint, as is, with 89k miles. I bought it because it was a Chevy, it was cheap, it was built on a truck body, and it had real 4WD. It hasn't let me down.

Since I bought it, I DID have to replace the master cylinder and I have a starter being shipped right now (she still runs reliably, the starter is just temperamental so I'll replace it for $45 brand new, no big deal). Both parts were cheap, because the Blazer is basically an S10/Astrovan, and parts are everywhere for it, which is part of why I bought it.

I drive twenty miles to work, over mountains and hills in northeast Pennsylvania, rain or shine. I had a Nissan Maxima (which was equally awesome, if it was dry and sunny year round). I NEEDED something that could cart me to work in the winter, and I was NOT DISAPPOINTED.

This January, we had a pretty massive Blizzard overnight into the next day. That morning at 6AM, I started driving to work in my Blazer. I couldn't see the road for all the snow, visibility was poor... I made it only 10 minutes later than usual. When 2pm rolled around and we closed early, I drove two coworkers home, and started my uphill trek home. I made the 25 minute drive in 45. I did not slide once. NOT ONCE. My husband's 2009 Silverado looked like a beached whale in comparison. He got stuck in the driveway, while my Blazer just crawled right through. This little thing is a BEAST. I've never felt so safe in a snow storm, and it was a literal BLIZZARD and I have horrifying anxiety.

Sure, it's 12 years old. Sure, it looks like an S10. Sure, it's not that fancy. Sure, you might need a low cost part here and there. But, and this is a big but, if you want a cheap, reliable snow tank... buy a Blazer. I just wish Chevrolet hadn't given up on them, the world needs SUV built on truck bodies.

And everyone complains about the gas... I fill up once a week maybe an extra $5 if I went above and beyond that week, but it uses about as much as my 6 cylinder Maxima did, slightly more. Mostly it seems as though they should have just made the tank itself a bit bigger. After having made my commute in my husband's Silverado, this thing might as well be a smart car lol.

I've fallen in love with this work horse
By habanero84

2004 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car cheap roughly 6 years ago with the intention of just using it for the snow. Now I don't think I ever want to trade it in. It's got 140k miles on it and the engine still purrs like a kitten. The interior is comfortable and the controls are simple (perfect!). Best of all: this thing is a god in the snow. For people looking for a great snow vehicle, you can't beat this suv. Nothing scares me while I'm driving this. I abuse this car massively - driving over curbs, off-roading, putting the "top heavy" feature to the test on these curvy roads, and treating it like my own personal toboggan in the snow. Did I mention it also has tons of space for hauling? Love love love it.

This car's ability in the snow is amazing. As someone who frequently deals with snow here in the mountains, I can't praise this vehicle enough. Throw some snow tires on it and watch it out-perform all the others in harsh conditions. The folding seats make tons of room for hauling a variety of things. And the reliability is astounding to me. 140k miles and still no hiccups? Either I'm lucky or this thing really is built to last. Beat that, Ford!

Improvements? Start making them again.

Love it!!
By bfamily2

2004 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Love our Blazer, it has survived:
front collision, hitting a tree, then the tree falling on it, hulling trailer loads of wood, pulling rocks and stumps, getting stuck in the snow to the point the front bumper was ripped off.
We have the opinion that you buy a vehicle to serve you and this SUV has taken everything we have had to offer just fine.
After everything it is still our main vehicle 2 car seats fit pretty nice in the back (you can’t put the front seat all the way back).
The interior doesn’t stain or scratch very easy.
We do a lot of traveling and we feel very safe in it.
We are excited to see how many Blazers make it well past 200,000 miles, we will be keeping ours.

You Get What You Pay For
By BlackKnight

2004 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

There is a reason that the 04 Chevy Blazer is affordable and that is due to the reliability of it. The style remains unchanged as you are unable to tell an 04 from a 2000. I've had to put brakes numerous times, ball joints, engine sensor (2x), oil coil line, smell on anti freeze despite no leaks, leak on driver side floor. In addition the 4WD switch went out and apparently that is fairly common as well. I perform regular maintenance but after purchasing in 06 with 25K miles on it, I have estimated that I have put close to $3000 in repairs, parts, and labor. That is conservative. The trade in value is horrible and I will need to keep it until the last loan payment to get money in trade

High driving height, comfortable ride, push button 4WD (when it is working(

More power. The 4.3 has 199 horsepower which is a joke for an SUV. Better engineering and quality. The resale value is horrible in part to frequent repairs.

ZR-2 is made for ANYTHING!
By Ferris777

2004 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 2dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Whether its hot and humid or snowing inches at a time, the ZR-2 Blazer is made to have fun and look good doing it. After owning some jeeps here and there I found out that while the off road performance was outstanding the crudeness of the ON road and the lack of comfort and features was too much to stand. The ZR-2 offers the best of both worlds. While providing confidence on the trails, the interior and suspension will take care of you on the way there. The seats in the back can be set down allowing for huge cargo space...and as the owner of a English Mastiff...I need it. If your looking at a small, fun to drive SUV that will last a long time, the check out the ZR-2...I think you'll like it.

Power everything. Moonroof. Factory sound. Exterior design and an off road monster.

Some small rattles in the interior, no big deal. The mounting bracket for the spare tire could have been stronger for aftermarket tires.