Solid truck SUV
By Eric on
2003 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 2dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)
I've owned my Blazer for just over a year and put 12,000 miles on it, no real complaints thus far. It actually rides quite nice considering the old chasis, and the cabin is very quiet on the highway. If you buy one, accept that you are buying a truck, not a Rav4 or CRV. The good news is it can handle truck-type work and moderate off-roading without a problem. I have a rare 5 speed model, my only complaint that it tends to grind 2nd until the fluid has warmed up. I've also had it leak water twice on me - I chalked it up to not closing the sunroof the first time, but if it happens again its going to the dealer.
Favorite Features
As long as you don't pay sticker (and you shouldn't) you can get one heck of a deal on these things. I paid $16.6 for a leftover brand new '03 in '04 that had a $27k sticker. There's no reason you should pay over $20k for one. Poor resale means you can pick up 2-3 year old used ones cheap.
Suggested Improvements
It seems a common problem with these cars are ball joints. Some of it may be GM cheapness, but I suspsect it may also be due to the fact that it uses greasable joints vs. sealed joints most of the more recent vehicles use. If they are not greased at every oil change, they will fail rather quickly.