She's a truck
By blazercanuck on
2003 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)
I bought my 2003 Blazer zr2 at 120,000 kms (about 72,000 miles)about 1 1/2 years ago but I got a killer deal on it Only $4,500 but this price reflected the work it needed. Needed new tires rear brakes were seized new calipers, rotors and pads and needed an o2 sensor. In the past year and a half I have changed the lower ball joints both rear drive shaft u-joints front drive shaft (it has a C.V. style joint that's $500 new, picked a used one up for $100) and the idler arm (keep in mind i do a fair amount of off-roading/light rock crawling) This truck is TOUGH! nose dived HARD into a ditch and still drives straight as an arrow no damag Tailgate squeak? oil hinges. spare rattles? adjust latch
Favorite Features
The truck is TOUGH and hard working for its size. The zr2 package is the one you want if you don't need 4 doors. It's wider higher and beefed up all around for off-roading. Fantastic in the snow if you get a decent set of tires. Back seat folds down perfectly flat so there's tons of cargo space or throw an air mattress back there and tadaa...mini camper. Like most 4x4's has cargo tie down loops in the back also. Multiple 12v power points is a nice touch. Surprisingly putting a car seat in the back isn't that bad! with the passenger seat forward there's enough room to stand in front of the back seat (legs straight bending at waist) to put your kid in! besides its downsides, I love the truck.
Suggested Improvements
Blazers are notorious for the tailgate/rear window squeaking. A little oil at ALL the hinges takes care of that and if you have a rear mounted spare it sometimes starts to rattle. Just remove the spare and loosen the 3 bolts and move the latch upward (you'll see where it originally by looking at the outline of the latch on the paint) and tighten the bolts. Also the zr2's are known for sagging leaf springs. mine are a little droopy but so is just about every other blazer I see in my town. Ride is a tad rough but hey...it's a truck. A set of rancho 9000 adjustable shocks would be just what the doctor (or dentist haha) ordered.