Used 2003 Chevrolet Blazer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Blazer SUV

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

OK...But Could Be Better!
By dne_thompson

2003 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Chevy Blazer in June 2006, making me the 2nd owner. It had 32,000 miles and was just under warranty! By the time the warranty was up, about 2 months, the ball joints needed replaced as well as brakes and rotors. Had all work done under warranty! About every 15-20,000 miles, it has to have the ball joints replaced for some reason. I now have 86,000 miles on it and it is due for ball joints again. Also, my air conditioner quit working as well as my driver's side window. THESE ARE VERY EXPENSIVE REPAIRS! Also, have to do brakes and rotors about once a year. It is a good vehicle to drive though, especially with the sun-roof open and the cd player going. Great in snow!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, Push button 4X4, Rear windows roll all the way down, Great Cargo area space, fold flat rear seats, cup holders are plentiful, 6 disc in dash cd player, steering wheel mounted audio controls, fog lights, power drivers seat, and column shifter!

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension and the front end needs alot of care for the waring out problems. Especially the ball joints! The outside needed more bling, kindof plain jane without the chrome and black molding down the side.

Very Satisfied
By Very Satisfied

2003 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this SUV used in 2005 for hauling building materials. It was the only SUV with a rear gate that folded down to extend the bed for loading lumber. We love the rear gate & having 4 doors. It is so convenient! We get at least 20 mpg & the only problem was a wiper that came loose & needed to be tightened. We change the oil every 3000 mi and the vehicle has given us no problems. I had to write after reading other unfavorable comments. The vehicle has been so good that I wanted readers to have a balanced view.

Favorite Features

Rear fold down gate (like a pick-up), 4 doors, easy to use 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

I would like a little luxury in the interior.

Tough look
By Dug

2003 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 2dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this ZR2 4X4 used (3600mi) because it appeared to be set up to handle back country (skid plates, big tires, upgraded shocks, etc) and offered more room and comfort than CJ style Jeep. Mine is yellow like the picture and has most options. Have had no problems (except a little oil drip) now at 24000mi. Just figured out it has grease fittings on stearing linkage! It is not as tight as my 98 Ford F150. Has performed well in rough conditions. Gas milage never over 20mpg. Tire on back contributes to already dangerous rear vision limits. Back seat entry difficult. Filling gas tank to top needs slow pump speed. Overall I like this vehicle for the Rocky Mountain area where I live.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo. Short wheel base. High quality shocks. Skid plates

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage. Use better plastic on trim-the sun ate it up in a year. Lots of squeaks when torqe put on frame in back country. Locking differential

This SUV is OK
By kyle2004

2003 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car 8 months ago, and I am already looking to trade it in. It was a fun car at the beginning, but with 14 mpg and 16-18 on the highway, it is not worth it. Also, my 2003 looks exactly like every other Blazer model. Not complaining, but I would have liked some exterior updates to show some kind of evolution. I will hopefully be able to get some money out of it to trade it in.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, 4- wheel drive options, and hd radio

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage! If it was getting better gas mileage, I could make do. I just can't afford this vehicle.

more costly to drive than you may think
By Greg

2003 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS Rwd 2dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Though it would be better on fuel and save me some money, as it turns out I have been putting more repair money in it than fuel money. rear hatch wiper motor first then the ignition switch, followed by a computer,2 fuel injectors, wheel bearings, brake caliper, upper and lower ball joints, and the sun roof leaks (still). The check engine light has been on now again for 2 and a half months but I am afraid to take it in. even if it is the filters the dealer replaces every time it is more money than I want to spend on this lemon that now has 46000 miles, and about $5800 in repairs in the last 3 years

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps quality parts would help out, it was 600 miles out of warranty when the wiper motor quit.