Used 2003 Chevrolet Blazer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Bought it with 1Mile on it back in 2003
By indiabradster

2003 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I take care of my cars. I can say this one has taken care of me. Comfy ride, in the 10 years that I've owned it, minus the normal wear and tear items I've replaced the fuel injection spider ($1000 repair). I needed to replace all the ball joints for inspection, which I did myself this weekend. Add up all the repairs at normal garage costs, $3000 in 10 years. That's great.

Favorite Features

Nice ride, dependable. Easy to take long trips in. Plenty of room to haul stuff around. I've towed things much bigger than I should have long distances and had no issues. Engine has nice torque, after owning a 2.8L Jimmy that would go 0 to 60 in 20mins this is a nice change.

Suggested Improvements

Bezels around the back side windows damage easy from sun, looks like crap now. Anti Lock breaks little too sensitive. Speaker grills in dash cracking already from sun damage. Gas millage horrible. Back tire on tail gate paired with Tinted factory windows makes for a hell of a time backing up at night.

She's a truck
By blazercanuck

2003 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Blazer zr2 at 120,000 kms (about 72,000 miles)about 1 1/2 years ago but I got a killer deal on it Only $4,500 but this price reflected the work it needed. Needed new tires rear brakes were seized new calipers, rotors and pads and needed an o2 sensor. In the past year and a half I have changed the lower ball joints both rear drive shaft u-joints front drive shaft (it has a C.V. style joint that's $500 new, picked a used one up for $100) and the idler arm (keep in mind i do a fair amount of off-roading/light rock crawling) This truck is TOUGH! nose dived HARD into a ditch and still drives straight as an arrow no damag Tailgate squeak? oil hinges. spare rattles? adjust latch

Favorite Features

The truck is TOUGH and hard working for its size. The zr2 package is the one you want if you don't need 4 doors. It's wider higher and beefed up all around for off-roading. Fantastic in the snow if you get a decent set of tires. Back seat folds down perfectly flat so there's tons of cargo space or throw an air mattress back there and tadaa...mini camper. Like most 4x4's has cargo tie down loops in the back also. Multiple 12v power points is a nice touch. Surprisingly putting a car seat in the back isn't that bad! with the passenger seat forward there's enough room to stand in front of the back seat (legs straight bending at waist) to put your kid in! besides its downsides, I love the truck.

Suggested Improvements

Blazers are notorious for the tailgate/rear window squeaking. A little oil at ALL the hinges takes care of that and if you have a rear mounted spare it sometimes starts to rattle. Just remove the spare and loosen the 3 bolts and move the latch upward (you'll see where it originally by looking at the outline of the latch on the paint) and tighten the bolts. Also the zr2's are known for sagging leaf springs. mine are a little droopy but so is just about every other blazer I see in my town. Ride is a tad rough but hey...it's a truck. A set of rancho 9000 adjustable shocks would be just what the doctor (or dentist haha) ordered.

Last time with GM - 2003 Chevy Blazer
By randyxgm

2003 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have purchased GM vehicles for the past 20+ years. My last new purchase was a 2003 Blazer the vehicle has been a lemon from day 1. I have always taken care of my vehicles and done the recommended maintenance. Here's a list of some of the problems I've had with this car: Trans line leaks @3000 miles, car shuts off for no reason @ less than 20,000 miles, power windows work intermittently, small side rear window leaks during rain, making seatbelts wet, fuel gauge problems, wipers don't park, wheel bearings needing replacing @ 40,000miles, rear brakes seized up, U-joints needed replacing @ 70,000 miles, Rear differential seal blew-out @ 100,000 miles, Trans died @ 150,000 miles. GM sucks!

Love my ZR2!
By dufmoney

2003 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have put over 100,000 KMs on my 2003 Blazer ZR2 (current odometer reads 206,000 KMs) and the only thing other than maintenance I have ever had to do was the head gasket. This is is a fault on a lot of Chevy/GM vehicles from these years. She is so reliable though! Other than the tailgate squeak, which I am in the process of fixing, I have no complaints with this fast accelerating, smooth off-road driving, snow loving vehicle! If you want fuel economy, buy a Prius (lame). If you want a vehicle that is extremely reliable and comfortable, than buy a Blazer.

Favorite Features

- On demand 4x4 - Lifted/Upgraded suspension - 4.3L Vortec V6 - Skid plates - Very comfortable bucket seats - Sunroof - 31" Tires - Light in the ash tray (so awesome lol)

Suggested Improvements

Some interior components could be of higher quality (i.e. plastic trim), squeaking tailgate, and also.......make your head gaskets out of METAL and rubber, not PLASTIC and rubber.

I love my 2003 blazer
By mountainchick

2003 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 2dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Wow I was really shocked at some of the comments I've seen on here. First off I really believe that the way a truck works depends on how you drive it and maintain it! I am not saying that the people aren't taking care of it but the owners beforehand didn't. As for the worst gas milage I did agree untill I changed my fuel pump omg It saved me a lot of money and I didn't even change it because it was broke! If you drive like an idiot and go 55mph from stop sign to stop sign you will waste so much gas in anything. I go out the mountain every weekend and I have and always will buy Chevy's! The one and only thing I hate is changing the spark plugs because it is soooo tight in there!

Favorite Features

My favorite thing is the four wheel drive I can't even count the number of times I hauled trailers and pulled my friends out of the mud, and I never get stuck! The worst thing that happened was my tow hook got bent out quite a bit from all the tuggin!

Suggested Improvements

I will admit it doesn't have to most comfortable seats and a little more room under the hood would be awesome! I am a 5'2" female and I have a hard time my hands are so small compared to regular mechanics, I'm sure they would say the same thing.