2001 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Review: Dissatisfied 2001 S10 Blazer o

2001 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Review

Dissatisfied 2001 S10 Blazer owner.
By zeroid on

2001 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a new top-of-the-line 2001 S10 Blazer LT in September 2001. Here it is, March 2012 and I still have it with just turning 100K gently driven miles, always garaged and properly serviced as needed. Owning this vehicle has convinced me not to ever again purchase a new General Motors vehicle. Why? Poor value. I could list the many headaches this vehicle has provided but the main one is the Dex-Cool coolant problem that destroyed the engine gaskets, clogged the heater core, stopped up the radiator and leaked coolant all over ground at a mere 69K miles. Many other premature failures on this vehicle help to explain why so many once loyal U.S. car buyers have switched to buying foreign cars.

One thing GM did right on these S10 Blazers is the paint! If properly maintained, these exteriors on these vehicles can look good and outlast the mechanicals easily. We liked this vehicle because it looked good, had a very practical design and drove easy. Other than the exterior plastic trim falling off within the first year, (GM replaced several times), these Blazers look good, even over time! We liked the push-button 4WD and nice interior, which has stood up well over the 100K miles! Maybe this is where they get that expression, "beauty is only skin deep!"

I'm quite certain that GM doesn't really care what one dissatisfied S10 Blazer owner says could improve their product, but I would like to say this. For years I was a loyal GM customer that has owned many GM vehicles, but no more. Until GM improves their quality on what they build, and stand behind their products I will not buy their products. I am very dissatisfied with spending over $30K on a vehicle initially and continuing to put large amounts of money into it just to keep it running until it reaches 100K miles. P.S. We just bought a new $45K Ford Edge, let's see how this U.S. made product holds up.