Used 2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Love my truck
By kp6921

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is amazing. My family first bought it in 2007, and I am the third person within my family to own it. 14 years old, 114k on it and not many major problems. We had to replace the radiator a few years back, and I recently had to fix the rear axle seal (leaking), however that's it over 8 years of ownership. The handling of this truck is amazing, so much fun to drive around in. Great in the snow, comes with electronic shifter for 4 wheel drive, HI and LO options. Gas mileage is actually not that bad, I can get about 20 mph highway, but city is probably around 14. 2 door is more attractive than 4 door. I'd recommend this truck to anyone.

Sun roof, 4X4, rear hatch and bed

best vehicle ive ever own
By tmmmsguy

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 2WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Chevrolet blazer Lt fully loaded last year with income taxes and have yet to regret buying the truck only problem i have had out of it was the alternator went out last winter. the blazer is a good safe dependable truck that is fun comfortable easy to get in and out can fit friends that are 6'3" and my father that was 5"11" 250+ with plenty of comfort room for them. the specs say i should average roughly 19 mpg's but I've never seen less than averaging roughly 20 mpg with it except for moving 300+ miles with a loaded down u haul trailer that made the back end drop 2" in pouring down rain handled the ice that we had last year without a problem on the highway and in town.

my favorite features would have to be that its an small suv with a great amount of space inside havent found anything that i cant haul in it great on gas doesnt have many problems come up like many vehicles comfortable to be in with 5 hour trips back home to see family

only area that i could see possible improvemnt is the cargo shade how it latches while closed tends to pop open on rough highway or roads.

JUST SAY NO !!!
By memphis815

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the worst vehicle i have ever owned... every year you can count on replacing the fuel pump.. if you own one of these do yourself a favor and buy the replacement fuel pump with a lifetime warranty ... it helps cut the cost down later. then you only have to pay to have the new one installed. i cant keep wheel bearings in it.. the longest it has gone is 15 months between replacements ..rear brakes calipers lock up.. was to that this is happens a lot because they use cheaper aluminum calipers and they tend to go out. once you replace the factory junk ones it seems to fix that problem.. it has a strange problem with constant misfires causing check engine light to come on. that's not all.

easy to find parts... junkyards are full of these.

Not impressed
By frederick87

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 2001 Blazer for about 2 years and I can honestly say that it has been a money pit. I've spent over $2,000 in repairs, it is definitely a maintenance item. The GM Dex-coolant clogged the heater core and radiator. I had to replace the radiator and hoses at about 120k. The engine is powerful but sluggish, the tranny slips, the door pins and hinges took a crap this winter, the four-wheel drive no longer works, the ABS and o2 sensors are notorious failures, the car is prone to electronic issues, and the gas mileage is similar to a full size truck. Car handles poorly, the interior plastic rattles, driver door panel is barely hanging on, and the ride is pretty rough.

At least the car has been comfortable, although it's a bumpy ride. It's sporty and it is what it is; A cheap 4x4. It's a good beater rig. the 4.3 liter Vortec engine is reliable.

Get a Jeep Cherokee.

Dissatisfied 2001 S10 Blazer owner.
By zeroid

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a new top-of-the-line 2001 S10 Blazer LT in September 2001. Here it is, March 2012 and I still have it with just turning 100K gently driven miles, always garaged and properly serviced as needed. Owning this vehicle has convinced me not to ever again purchase a new General Motors vehicle. Why? Poor value. I could list the many headaches this vehicle has provided but the main one is the Dex-Cool coolant problem that destroyed the engine gaskets, clogged the heater core, stopped up the radiator and leaked coolant all over ground at a mere 69K miles. Many other premature failures on this vehicle help to explain why so many once loyal U.S. car buyers have switched to buying foreign cars.

One thing GM did right on these S10 Blazers is the paint! If properly maintained, these exteriors on these vehicles can look good and outlast the mechanicals easily. We liked this vehicle because it looked good, had a very practical design and drove easy. Other than the exterior plastic trim falling off within the first year, (GM replaced several times), these Blazers look good, even over time! We liked the push-button 4WD and nice interior, which has stood up well over the 100K miles! Maybe this is where they get that expression, "beauty is only skin deep!"

I'm quite certain that GM doesn't really care what one dissatisfied S10 Blazer owner says could improve their product, but I would like to say this. For years I was a loyal GM customer that has owned many GM vehicles, but no more. Until GM improves their quality on what they build, and stand behind their products I will not buy their products. I am very dissatisfied with spending over $30K on a vehicle initially and continuing to put large amounts of money into it just to keep it running until it reaches 100K miles. P.S. We just bought a new $45K Ford Edge, let's see how this U.S. made product holds up.