2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:
Not impressed
By frederick87 on 05/12/13 13:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 2001 Blazer for about 2 years and I can honestly say that it has been a money pit. I've spent over $2,000 in repairs, it is definitely a maintenance item. The GM Dex-coolant clogged the heater core and radiator. I had to replace the radiator and hoses at about 120k. The engine is powerful but sluggish, the tranny slips, the door pins and hinges took a crap this winter, the four-wheel drive no longer works, the ABS and o2 sensors are notorious failures, the car is prone to electronic issues, and the gas mileage is similar to a full size truck. Car handles poorly, the interior plastic rattles, driver door panel is barely hanging on, and the ride is pretty rough.

Dissatisfied 2001 S10 Blazer owner.
By zeroid on 03/31/12 08:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a new top-of-the-line 2001 S10 Blazer LT in September 2001. Here it is, March 2012 and I still have it with just turning 100K gently driven miles, always garaged and properly serviced as needed. Owning this vehicle has convinced me not to ever again purchase a new General Motors vehicle. Why? Poor value. I could list the many headaches this vehicle has provided but the main one is the Dex-Cool coolant problem that destroyed the engine gaskets, clogged the heater core, stopped up the radiator and leaked coolant all over ground at a mere 69K miles. Many other premature failures on this vehicle help to explain why so many once loyal U.S. car buyers have switched to buying foreign cars.

Had for a year - Still runs ok :)
By wheeets on 01/23/12 14:03 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Got my Blazer a year ago with 84k on it. Put 21k within a year. It runs and drives good. Gas mileage is on avg 15mpg. I'm big (6'5) and fit comfortably. Ongoing problems w/ heater. In colder weather, it only sometimes turns on (even tho I always have the dial set to its highest). Also sometimes makes a grinding noise and the break gets very stiff when breaking on ice. My mechanic cant figure it out, says my breaks are good. 4x4 went last year. Although it has these issues, I still really love driving my Blazer. Gonna get it fixed, once my $ is right. Wanna take it on some trails (when the 4x4 worked, it was great). Gonna hook it up with a tow box, rear tire swing bar (for extra inside room)

Nice Hunting Vehicle
By mancheskia on 11/29/11 07:53 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Ride is anything but smooth very ruff ride, ride is better off road than on road. Power is well just not there how is it that the 3.8 V6 GM also produced created 205 horse and 230 torque when the 4.3 V6 is only capable of 190 horse and 250 torque. Gas Mileage isn't the worst with the ZR2 package I have got 19.5 mpg as best and as low as 9.5 mpg while towing. Now mainly use for hunting as it is a small capable off road suv that can get down the small tight trails.

Still Running Strong!
By 7ate9 on 02/17/11 16:36 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck for a little over 10 years now and bought it brand new in October 2000. I am lucky that I have a short commute and have only put 84,000 miles on it. I have not had any major issues except for repairs here and there. Recently the head gasket went, but my mechanic told me its because the coolant used by GM (DEX-COOL) actually deteriorated the gasket. There was a class action lawsuit about this back in 2005, but I did not know about it. Other than that, its been perfect. It's stil fun to drive and feel almost as good as the day I bought it. My only major complaint is gas mileage, especially compared to vehicles today. I usually get about 16-17 mpg on average.

Got a Really Bad One!
By Guido on 12/05/09 12:45 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This was a dealer car that we purchased with 10,000 miles on it and it has been a money pit. We have replaced: right front hub sensor, brake module, passenger side window motor (we rarely raise or lower that window), metal transmission lines (rubbing together caused leaks (they are not supposed to rub together), idler pulley, tensioner pulley, gas tank sensor, high pressure oil lines, radiator, alternator, electronics for 4WD and, the engine (as a result of the tensioner pulley seizing). There is more, but not enough space to continue. Perhaps we just got a 'lemon'; however, to be safe I no longer purchase GM vehicles.

2001 Trail Blazer
By BG on 08/28/09 09:28 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV TrailBlazer 4WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I first rented one at Jackson Hole Airport. Liked it so much I returned to Nashville and purchased one. It has been trouble free except for the smog pump failure at 90000 miles. I love driving it. Consumer Reports rates it bad and I rate it Excellent. I've driven on long trips and it's a joy. Easy to park and non-tiring on long trips. Two thumbs up!

Happy,Happy,Happy
By Happy,Happy,Happy on 08/22/09 18:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought our Blazer used on jan.'08. It had 148,551 miles on it, it now has 176,894. We have had only one problem with it (the fuel pump finally went out in it at 176,756). Other then that the rig is great. The 4.3l v6 is by far the best engine I have ever seen in a rig. Its a shame they quit making it. We love the 4x4 system it has, and we like the auto 4x4 option it came with. I wasn't shur I would like the push button 4x4, but I will have to say I am impressed with its ease going in and out of 4x4 mode. In all we couldn't be happier, and we plane on keeping it for a long time.

Nothing to brag about
By Tim on 07/31/09 17:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this SUV for my wife. I have the same year Mazda Tribute and it is amazing how different they run. The Mazda is a tight ride, drives new. We have done nothing but general maintenance. The Blazer runs rough, we have probably spent $1,500 over the past year for repairs. A friend of mine had a blazer and he told me to stay away but I did not listen.

Decent...
By nick on 07/12/09 08:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4WD 4dr SUV w/OnStar (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Good truck, too many problems. not reliable. Head gasket went out at 100k, should not be a problem at this mileage. Bought at 87k approx. 6 months before. Gas mileage is poor, truck has power and is fast, but its a cool little truck.