Used 1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Too slow
By Ardis

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV

This truck rattles like a tin can. It is extremely slow to take off and once highway speeds are achieved, it has no strength to overtake other vehicles though you may give it all the gas you have. The front end is squeaking and popping like popcorn on the road even on smooth pavement. I've maintained the truck very well and I've had to change the fuel pump twice in the last three years. Both rear calipers locked up on it within two weeks of each other. Lots of minor mxs but I've never had a problem with the engine not working. It still starts right up w/o a problem but it has its domestic vehicle problems. Not built to last!

Favorite Features

Engine still starts w/o issue and runs smooth.

Suggested Improvements

change all that stupid interior plastic for something that will last and not squeak. Upgrade the calipers to better ones. Fix the fuel pump issues. Utilize better bushings and bearings on the front suspension.

not as bad as you think
By good rig

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is a pack mule. I bought it with 146,000 miles and all that's gone wrong is fuel pump and heater core. The strong points in the vehicle are its beefy v6, reliable transmission, and decent gas mileage. The bad stuff is the wimpy axles, not so much the front but the back is terrible. I would recommend purchasing a crate axle with a bit more weight and wider stance, or jus rebuilding in the stock housing. Or just buy hub spacers, that's easy too. Unfortunately I think the transmission isn't going to make it to 200,000, but everything else I'm sure. And fyi, if your 4x4 wont engage its most likely the vacuum lines that engages it.

junk
By unhappy

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought a new blazer in 1988. Ran the best. Put 230000 miles on it with minimum problems. Bought the 1999 with 50000 miles and have nothing but trouble. Fuel pump, transmission rebuild, drivers door slips, seat controls broken, now a blown engine. Nothing but problems since the beginning. I don't recommend the blazer to anyone!

Favorite Features

Heated seat (when it works)

Suggested Improvements

Make EVERYTHING stronger. Weakest vehicle I have ever owned.

Pretty good Blazer
By fireman25

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV

Bought this after I had a not at fault accident at a dealer down the road. Had no major problems yet...knock on wood. Replaced thermostat twice, did a flush cooling system. A little funky but can be fixed by putting in a new radiator or just JB Weld. Recommend to all who need a car for son or daughter to get to and from. Great body condition for age and mileage about 163,000. Runs great, just cooling system work

Favorite Features

Sunroof, heated seats, stereo, computer controlled climate

Suggested Improvements

Cooling system

Excellent Blazer
By TopTech

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Blazer used with only 10K miles on it. I had no problems with any of it until about 120,000 miles on it. Battery, front wheel bearings and transfer case actuator went out in the same year. I replace all the parts with new and have had no problems since. The dealer could not believe this was the first set of bearings on the front since many others go at about 60K. This truck does not burn oil (engine is very reliable). Wish the fuel economy was better for a truck of this size (avg 18MPG city and hwy). Overall this blazer is inexpensive to own considering the cost of new and the relatively inexpensive parts. I would recommend a Blazer to anyone needing 4WD and 4 doors.

Favorite Features

Auto 4WD, auto air conditioning/comfort control