Used 1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

A money pit
By Kat

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

One headache after another: Oil leaks, new fuel and brake lines needed, brakes and rotors needed frequent replacement, rear door hatch did not work properly, nor did the windshield wiper fluid nozzle in the rear. Ball joints and U joints were bad. Gas gauge did not work. Emergency brake issues. Alternator and starter were bad. Vanity light would not turn off, slowly draining the battery , which had to be replaced twice already. Numerous other issues to mention. We got rid of it before it died completely. We could have almost purchased another vehicle for the money we put into it just to keep it running. We will never buy another one.

CD player and sound system were good. The heater and air conditioner worked well. It towed a heavy trailer with an ATV with no trouble when it was running.

Start putting more quality into the design and building processes or expect sales to plummet. Not a lot of horsepower, but no big deal. If only they didn't break down every other month Chevy could sell more of these. No one will buy junk if they are hip to the problems of this vehicle.

An old friend
By jgclark

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV

This is a testament to the fact that Chevy CAN put together a great vehicle. I've owned my Blazer for over ten years and dropped nearly 200k on the engine, and other than a squeaky suspension from driving through flood waters more than once and replacing a couple of alternators and a water and fuel pump over a decade, my Chevy kept me safe, comfortable and free from car payments after I paid it off in 2004. It stayed good looking long after the model was replaced by the TrailBlazer, which says a lot about decent design. The engine was always strong and helped me out of traffic scrapes with it's workhorse V6. I drove that truck to it's limits, finally trading it in this year for a sedan.

Decent cargo room, solid build, comfortable front seats, good space up front.

Yeah, the flimsy seat adjustment levers broke off after about 6 years, but a screwdriver kept in the glove box did the trick. Other than that, you couldn't ask for more in a dependable vehicle. I'll miss you, my old friend. Happy retirement!

Garbage!
By blackhaus50

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

Front suspension is just awful, the truck was all over the road, pulled to the right bad when I used the brake. The interior would make all sorts of noise with the cheap plastic parts. Oh and how about the seat recliner handle. How many times did that break off. Just stay away!

Selling it. The nice rims and tires I put on it. It was like putting a silk hat on a pig though, but I got it sold

Everything. I guess that's why they stop making this thing

Reliable but lacks quality
By Gearhead

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV

Up until recently vehicle has required only minimal mechanic work. Water pumps go out every few years and there has always been minor leaks all over the place, but that's about it. Seat reclining levers suck and break unless treated like a delicate flower tho and are ridiculously expensive. The 2WD is horrible in WI winters. The vehicle has always shifted like junk with a "kick". Driver's side door has never fit properly despite no accidents, and you can always hear the wind whistling through, also hinge pin wears out every few yrs. At 125,000 mi, tranny lost reverse and had bad intake manifold leak; 2 mo. later #1 piston went out. Engine has been reliable, but overall the truck lacks quality

1)Started up first time, everytime...up until transmission and engine went out. That 4.3 Vortec is good to go! 2)Dash remained in decent shape over the years without cracking. 3)Body has held up wonderfully with no rust except all around the trailer hitch hole on bumper.

Make a driver's side door that actually fits, and seat reclining levers that don't break ($100 to replace) the first time you pull it while you are still have back against seat. Shifting "kicked" almost from beginning. Rear window release button is crap in the winter. Water pumps last 3 years. ETC..

I'll let you decide
By Mathias

1999 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Well i have owned this car for a while now and I have gotten what i wanted out of it. It stills drives okay but the motor is starting to knock with 150,000 miles on it. It goes where ever I want it to but i had to put some money in it to keep it that way. It always starts and runs without incident and has decent power for a 6 cylinder. Biggest complaint, the heater core is bad!!! No heat in the winter is tough and I have to flush it every year just to get a little heat for the start of the season. By mid winter its bad again. Also, no 4-wheel drive! Thats the number one reason i bought it and now it doesn't work either. Looking for a new SUV but don't know what to get. I love a Chevy.

Abused like a truck and keeps right on tickin. Great little SUV when everything works. Interior is good enough for me. Other than standard problems with a ten year old vehicle nothing major yet...

Fix the heating problems! I can live without 4WD and AC but no one can drive without heat in an Ohio winter. I hear the 4WD problem is common, wonder if they fixed that in later models