Used 1999 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Blazer

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

No more blazers
By Learned my lesson

1999 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this 1999 blazer after owning a 1987 blazer, which probably was the best vehicle I have ever owned. Problems started at 32,000 miles when the front suspension had to be replaced."GM Dealership would not fix under warranty" I have replaced the leaking oil lines, alternator,intake gasket,and around 50,000 miles the engine blew up. Have always changed my oil at 3000 miles and used a good grade of oil and filter. The (extended warranty) rep said probably just a faulty part. After reading other reviews looks like I'm not the only one with these problems. "Be careful of extended warranties"

Favorite Features

Good looking vehicle and drives great when running!

Suggested Improvements

Looks like several improvements need to be considered.

Love/Hate relationship
By UGA Dawg

1999 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have mixed feelings about this vehicle. I bought the truck used in 2000. It has been a fairly reliable vehicle, but it has put us down a few times. Positives: It's fun to drive, has enough room for me, and has good towing power. It's been through off road situations I didn't think it could manage. It has good looks. Major problems: 40,000 or earlier oil lines leak. 70,000 tranny rebuilt-don't buy a new GM tranny, it will only give the same problem, 100,000 Dextron coolant congealed in the radiator and ruined it. At 140,000 the A/C quit and axles or bearings are roaring. Minor issues: Seat levers break, door hinge bushings wear out often (doors sag). In summary, shy away from the Blazer, although I can hardly part with mine.

Favorite Features

Great for light off-roading. Perfect size (not too big, not too small).

Suggested Improvements

Design change for tranny, new design for oil lines around filter, change Dextron formula (I think this has already taken place), Better hinge bushings, stronger seat lever posts

Blazer's Stink
By Bill Jenkins

1999 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV

The Chevy Blazer really, really stinks. It is suppost to be a strong built, heavy duty SUV. I am here to tell you that it is NO such thing! In the year & a half that I have owned my Chevy Blazer the front end has virtually fallen apart. This is not a well built SUV in my opinion. I will not recommend the Purchase of any Chevy Product to anyone. As they would be upset shortly after purchase.

Favorite Features

The comfort of the Blazer is Very Good. The fact that it comes with CD & Cassette is very nice. I Loved the Heated Seats. It was a very comfortable SUV at a good price.

Suggested Improvements

They need to work on the Basic structure of the Blazer. Fuel Economy.

Good suv
By Luther56

1999 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Best vehicle ive ever owned, good for long trips, good for around town, and alot of fun off road.

Favorite Features

The power plant

Suggested Improvements

better seats more horsepower

Not a Repeater
By Bummed about Blazer

1999 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My daughter and I both purchased Blazers at the same time. After 4 years of ownership, I have to say I would never buy another one. Every week there is a new interior squeek or rattle. Between my daughter's car and mine, the vent adjustment broke off, rear differential is a constant problem, ball joints and wheel bearings had to be replaced ($500 x 5), cvc leak fixed ($300), outside moulding on driver's window kept popping out (husband finally glued it in place), seat adjustment lever broke off, strap on rear hatch broke off. . . and on and on. Was a BIG Toyota fan before this and will DEFINITELY go back.

Favorite Features

Comfort of seats, redundant controls for stereo, handling, interior room.

Suggested Improvements

General Motors should GET BEHIND THIS PRODUCT and build an SUV with the same quality as they build into their trucks. I agree with a previous writer - "shame on you" for continuing to sell a vehicle you KNOW is going to break down.