Fits the bill
By Nick on
1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 2dr SUV 4WD
ZR2 spec Blazer. After 125,000 miles, the powertrain (original) is great--reliable and tough. I tow a boat and occasionally off road, and the Blazer does it well. The 5-speed manual shifts crisply, and on country roads especially I enjoy the drive. I average over 18mpg in general, which is really good for a truck-based SUV. City stop n' go driving stinks. Build quality is rough, and I have had some problems, but nothing major or expensive. I really like the vehicle's design and think it has worn well. I wish Chevy still built a "real truck" SUV smaller than the Tahoe. Used resale value is low, so they are a great used vehicle value.
Favorite Features
Tough design, torquey 4.3L V6, 5-speed manual, reliable powertrain, off-road capable, interior easy to clean, great fuel economy for a truck. Bottom line--this is a "real truck" SUV, and there aren't many of those left. A real American vehicle--designed, engineered, and built in the USA.
Suggested Improvements
Use precise machinery and people who take pride in their work to assemble these vehicles. Spend an extra few cents on interior parts and some components so they last longer.