Used 1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Blazers are the WORST
By Nocturnal

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

I own a 1998 Chevy Blazer ZR2 and is is by far the worstvehicle I have ever owned. I have no idea what the engineers where smoking when they let this one go, but I have owned it since October 2002 and it is now September 2005 and where do I start??? The cheap plastic interior is the loudest annoying thing ever. Seriously, the wind blows and it rattles. I don't even want to explain when going over gravel roads or railroad tracks!!! The next is the front ball joints are notorious for premature failure. Also, wheel bearings! I have replaced front ones 3 different times. I don't do much offroading besides ice fishing, so why so weak under "normal" conditions? I am a graduate of an Automotive Engineering program and a 3 yr. SAE member; take it from me, you don't want a Blazer.

Ball joints, 4 wheel actuation switch, wheel hubs, interior improvements, brakes, ....... the list goes on...

If you can keep it running, its great!
By indy mom

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

The Blazer has a lot of interior room & is easy to drive (when it is not being worked on). 4WD works great; however, engine uses environmentally friendly (orange colored) coolant, which historically causes problems with the gaskets - I ended up dropping a new engine in it at 90,000 miles & now the computer is history at (110,000 miles). Good luck.

Great exterior and interior look & loads of room.

Empty out that orange coolant and start using something that doesn't kill the gaskets!

1998 4wd Blazer
By Conrad

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I keep thinking just one more repair and it will last me awhile. Door hinges replaced, oil lines replaced, intake manifold gaskets replaced , cat replaced, air cond replaced, blinker switch replaced, O2 sensor bad now the air conditioner is acting up again. Besides that, a decent auto, ha ha, Thinking of getting a full size. Gas mileage for the Blazer is the same as a full size truck these days. The newer 5.3 v-8's are getting close to 19 mpg on the highway, my Blazer is only 18 at best. I might as well have the room and power if the gas mileage is going to stink.

Smaller 4wd to get down narrower trails

Gas mileage, overall build quality. Interior is noisy and cheep

Not so blazin'
By ZR2broke

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

I`ve owned my Blazer for two years,had nothing but problems the first year and a half. The following has been fixed or replaced, 2 universal joints, idler arm, 2 lower ball joints, alternator, no heat in the dead of winter, CD player, front speaker, pass.side recliner lever, ABS is junk, 4wd works when it wants to.

Best V6 in its class as far as I`m concerned, great looking little truck, at least its made in America!

Go back in time, redesign everything but engine and exterior looks.

Love/Hate Relationship
By CButte

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I don't know where to begin. Our Blazer has taken us deep into the back woods on 4WD trails, to the top of many 14,000' mountain peaks, and has always managed to get us home. With that said, it has also been the most unreliable, frustrating vehicle we've owned. Purchased used w/50k 4 years ago, it has required the following in the last 40k miles: Transmission, lwr ball joints, axle shaft, several seals, intake manifold gasket, pwr window motor, 4WD actuator, O2 sensor, rotors, etc. It has also suffered from the following common Blazer issues: Dexcool sludge requiring multiple flushes so the heater would work, multi-function switch gremlins, ghost- wipers & leaking oil filter lines.

None

Install Toyota electrical systems, drivelines and interiors in the Chevy body? GM has lost another customer for life.