Used 1998 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Blazer

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

If you can keep it running, its great!
By indy mom

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

The Blazer has a lot of interior room & is easy to drive (when it is not being worked on). 4WD works great; however, engine uses environmentally friendly (orange colored) coolant, which historically causes problems with the gaskets - I ended up dropping a new engine in it at 90,000 miles & now the computer is history at (110,000 miles). Good luck.

Favorite Features

Great exterior and interior look & loads of room.

Suggested Improvements

Empty out that orange coolant and start using something that doesn't kill the gaskets!

1998 4wd Blazer
By Conrad

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I keep thinking just one more repair and it will last me awhile. Door hinges replaced, oil lines replaced, intake manifold gaskets replaced , cat replaced, air cond replaced, blinker switch replaced, O2 sensor bad now the air conditioner is acting up again. Besides that, a decent auto, ha ha, Thinking of getting a full size. Gas mileage for the Blazer is the same as a full size truck these days. The newer 5.3 v-8's are getting close to 19 mpg on the highway, my Blazer is only 18 at best. I might as well have the room and power if the gas mileage is going to stink.

Favorite Features

Smaller 4wd to get down narrower trails

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, overall build quality. Interior is noisy and cheep

Not so blazin'
By ZR2broke

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 2dr SUV 4WD

I`ve owned my Blazer for two years,had nothing but problems the first year and a half. The following has been fixed or replaced, 2 universal joints, idler arm, 2 lower ball joints, alternator, no heat in the dead of winter, CD player, front speaker, pass.side recliner lever, ABS is junk, 4wd works when it wants to.

Favorite Features

Best V6 in its class as far as I`m concerned, great looking little truck, at least its made in America!

Suggested Improvements

Go back in time, redesign everything but engine and exterior looks.

Love/Hate Relationship
By CButte

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I don't know where to begin. Our Blazer has taken us deep into the back woods on 4WD trails, to the top of many 14,000' mountain peaks, and has always managed to get us home. With that said, it has also been the most unreliable, frustrating vehicle we've owned. Purchased used w/50k 4 years ago, it has required the following in the last 40k miles: Transmission, lwr ball joints, axle shaft, several seals, intake manifold gasket, pwr window motor, 4WD actuator, O2 sensor, rotors, etc. It has also suffered from the following common Blazer issues: Dexcool sludge requiring multiple flushes so the heater would work, multi-function switch gremlins, ghost- wipers & leaking oil filter lines.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Install Toyota electrical systems, drivelines and interiors in the Chevy body? GM has lost another customer for life.

Huge Mistake
By onthefly

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 2dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Blazer used with only 8,500 miles on it. I had no problems at all until 32K. Alternator, battery, wiper motor, Dex-Cool sludge, engine oil cooler lines started leaking. I did all the repairs except I left the oil lines for the dealer. I really had no other problems until 72K. Oil cooler line leaking again, transmission slipping, brake caliper, 4WD semi engaging on its own, high speed vibration, heater core "crappy Dex-Cool". Spent $2300 and the dealer still can't fix the 4WD problem. I have taken very good care of this car,doing tune ups and fluid changes every year. I know I hate this car.

Favorite Features

Great in the snow. 4.3 V6 is a great engine.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius, reliability. Oil cooler lines, Dex-Cool.