1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:
98 blazer bought used
By SSweet9C1 on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 blazer LS 4 door 4WD used last january (04) with 100,000 miles on it, it had new brakes (rotors and pads) and new ball joints.. since then i have done nothing to it other than normal maintenance and it is a pleasure to drive. excellent stopping power and reasonable acceleration VS fuel mileage

No more Blazers for me
By No More Blazers on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV has been nothing but trouble. In addition to lots of small things (three horn relays, transmission seals bad at 40,000 miles, etc.) I just foudn out that I need a new transmission and oil coolant lines. I trading in this piece of junk for a foreign car. I'll never buy another Chevrolet again and will be sure to tell everyone I know about the poor quality and even poorer service that I received from Chevy.

Glad to be rid of it.
By jh98 on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Not much good to say about this vehicle. Had to replace the seat recliner handles (twice), thermostat, and wiper motor. Brakes are terrible and lock up for no reason. Radiator and oil leaks have also been a problem. By far the cheapest interior I've seen in any vehicle. Traded it in before having to spend more cash on repairs.

My blazer
By Shellie on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall the car has done very well. It has required little repairs and handles long distance travel well. Through any weather this SUV has been reliable. My only beef with the car is the windshield wipers. They annoy me!

GM Junk-Chev Blazer '98
By k bryant on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Here's a list of things that have failed a vehicle that was well maintained. NOT at all happy with GM and have always been a GM buyer. Not likely to be this time around. -3 bad injectors -axle boots failed before 50K miles -cat and O2 sensor failed at 80K miles -transmission failed at just over 100K miles, $2,600 to rebuild, was serviced at 60K even though dealer said it didn't need it until 100K! -TPS sensor failed at 120K. -fuel pump failed-125K. -water pump-130K. -A/C compressor failed-130K. -heater core failed-138K. -both oil lines for remote oil filter have failed with leaks -And, to top it all off the head gasket finally decided it was time to go.

Never buy American again.
By Viking2 on 01/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this 1998 LT 4WD Blazer with all hope in the world that buying American would be a good thing. Anything but has been the case. I paid $31,000 with tax and this was my hard earned money as I am a nurse. The car is a beauty to look at but a poor quality mechanical car. It has been an electrical nightmare. I have been stranded 5 times, I've had to buy AAA for all times I've been towed. The alternator has been replaced twice. Chevrolet dealer put in a used one which then failed again. The battery cables had to be changed which cost $200. The alternators $400 each. The battery went dead, another $100.

My ZR2
By nnaylor on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

Great looking, strong engine, and I love the fact that it's not a grocery- getter urban SUV. It's the real deal. Real 4x4, ground clearence, 2 door, 5 speed manual...not a family vehicle, but a perfect vehicle for the 20-something single outdoor enthusiast. Good performance on and off road. HOWEVER...atrocious interior build quality, possibly the worst I've ever seen. No wonder so many people buy Japanese

It's Okay.... could be worse
By lnorris on 12/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I find the steering wheel very stiff; when we traded the Astro van off for it I actually had sore arms for several days from driving it; I could whip that van around with one finger- not this Blazer. Haven't had many problems but the one big one is the ABS, which I find scary. Brakes lock up with no warning. Have replaced nearly every part of the brake system except the brain stuff. Wiper motor is sporadic. Gas mileage could be better. 4WD is fun, no probs. I actually drive it in 4H in the rain in speeds below 35-40; it disengages the ABS so I don't rear- end someone. Oh, and the passenger side plastic adjustment handle broke off.

Relatively happy with the vehicle.
By HowardBl on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

All in all, I've had this vehicle since late 1997, and haven't had too much grief with it... It goes through an idler arm every 20K miles (I'm going on #5), but that's to be expected when you get a car ride on a truck frame. Had to replace a master cylinder and torn seat leather under warranty. After warranty needed new brake booster (a pain to install, but did myself) for $200, $30 belt tensioner, new shocks all around, rotors only once and eventually will need a new fuel sending unit. Really can't complain... gave me lots of dependable service including some off- road and emergency responses.

the one
By David R on 07/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

other than wiper motor i love everything about my blazer. its comfortable to drive,its roomy and a blast to drive