Used 1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

i keep it cuz its paid for
By big jim

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought in 2000,4 months later transmission broke. Did fine until 02 when the alternator went out, 03 fuel pump, 05 new rotors and window motor, seat adjust handle broke, ball joints went bad, yada yada yada. Overall decent a-b car but I don't trust it for long trips. Now has 143,000 miles and the engine is still pretty good just the overall integrity of it is not so good. But like I said its paid for and stil running so ill run it till it dies since I wouldn't get what its worth trading in or selling it.

driver leg room, sound system, good engine

cheap plastic, electrical problems

1998 Ls 4x4 Blazer
By Caleb V

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my Blazer over a year, when I bought it, it needed a starter, changed that myself, around 77,000 the water pump barley started to leak, had that changed, other than that only standard maintainece including oil changes, trans flush, cooling flush, sterring linkage lubrication, breaks and rotors,and performance parts. Flowmaster exhaust, K&N intake. its a great truck and I love driving it. I plan on driving it till it dies (a long way off yet, at 80000 mi ). I also do some off roading, including trail riding and mudding and its never got me stuck or let me down yet. The large v6 could put out a little more horse power though, however I wouldn't want to sacrifice fuel economy

4 wheel drive, power sun/moon roof, gage cluster, handling, exterior design, 4.3 Lt v6 (easy to work on for the most part).

The interior plastic does seem to make quit a bit of rattle noise, I find that I can fix about half the sounds. Could have slightly more stock hp, maybe 210hp.

Just dont hit a deer!
By kbwjc07

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV 4dr SUV

Ran ok for the first 4 1/2 years. Had to replace the altenator, and belts,by the 5th year. But the interior didnt last 6 months. Vanity mirror cover on visors fell off. Handels on seats snapped off(cheap metal). Power seat motor gave out. Then the wiper motor, both front and rear wipers useless. A/C also. Then we hit the suicidal deer. Ball joints, rotors, bearings, basically the whole suspension. Internalized fuel pumps and sensors are a big mistake. 4wd works when it wants to. Power windows work one day then nothing the next. Repairs just seem to domino effect with this model. But all in all hanging in there given the milage and trauma

The folding back seats. The power seats.

Really need to work on the electrical stuff. No wimpy plastic grilles please!

A Great Vehicle
By A normal guy

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV

The 1998 Blazer is one of the most reliable cars you will own. I own a 4 door LT 2WD. Mine now has over 160,000 miles and it still rides great! Its comfy(it has leather seats with electric adjustment), gets pretty good gas mileage (16-20), and is fun to drive! However, the best part about this car is its reliability. This thing hasn't broken down on me one time in 160,000 miles. It has lasted through many trips, and still works good. It's a great car.

Comfort, reliability, gas mileage, it has a good engine (can pull stuff good)

The turning radius is not that good, neither is the acceleration

Fits the bill
By Nick

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

ZR2 spec Blazer. After 125,000 miles, the powertrain (original) is great--reliable and tough. I tow a boat and occasionally off road, and the Blazer does it well. The 5-speed manual shifts crisply, and on country roads especially I enjoy the drive. I average over 18mpg in general, which is really good for a truck-based SUV. City stop n' go driving stinks. Build quality is rough, and I have had some problems, but nothing major or expensive. I really like the vehicle's design and think it has worn well. I wish Chevy still built a "real truck" SUV smaller than the Tahoe. Used resale value is low, so they are a great used vehicle value.

Tough design, torquey 4.3L V6, 5-speed manual, reliable powertrain, off-road capable, interior easy to clean, great fuel economy for a truck. Bottom line--this is a "real truck" SUV, and there aren't many of those left. A real American vehicle--designed, engineered, and built in the USA.

Use precise machinery and people who take pride in their work to assemble these vehicles. Spend an extra few cents on interior parts and some components so they last longer.

• SUV