Used 1998 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Blazer

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

1998 Ls 4x4 Blazer
By Caleb V

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my Blazer over a year, when I bought it, it needed a starter, changed that myself, around 77,000 the water pump barley started to leak, had that changed, other than that only standard maintainece including oil changes, trans flush, cooling flush, sterring linkage lubrication, breaks and rotors,and performance parts. Flowmaster exhaust, K&N intake. its a great truck and I love driving it. I plan on driving it till it dies (a long way off yet, at 80000 mi ). I also do some off roading, including trail riding and mudding and its never got me stuck or let me down yet. The large v6 could put out a little more horse power though, however I wouldn't want to sacrifice fuel economy

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive, power sun/moon roof, gage cluster, handling, exterior design, 4.3 Lt v6 (easy to work on for the most part).

Suggested Improvements

The interior plastic does seem to make quit a bit of rattle noise, I find that I can fix about half the sounds. Could have slightly more stock hp, maybe 210hp.

Just dont hit a deer!
By kbwjc07

1998 Chevrolet Blazer 4dr SUV

Ran ok for the first 4 1/2 years. Had to replace the altenator, and belts,by the 5th year. But the interior didnt last 6 months. Vanity mirror cover on visors fell off. Handels on seats snapped off(cheap metal). Power seat motor gave out. Then the wiper motor, both front and rear wipers useless. A/C also. Then we hit the suicidal deer. Ball joints, rotors, bearings, basically the whole suspension. Internalized fuel pumps and sensors are a big mistake. 4wd works when it wants to. Power windows work one day then nothing the next. Repairs just seem to domino effect with this model. But all in all hanging in there given the milage and trauma

Favorite Features

The folding back seats. The power seats.

Suggested Improvements

Really need to work on the electrical stuff. No wimpy plastic grilles please!

A Great Vehicle
By A normal guy

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV

The 1998 Blazer is one of the most reliable cars you will own. I own a 4 door LT 2WD. Mine now has over 160,000 miles and it still rides great! Its comfy(it has leather seats with electric adjustment), gets pretty good gas mileage (16-20), and is fun to drive! However, the best part about this car is its reliability. This thing hasn't broken down on me one time in 160,000 miles. It has lasted through many trips, and still works good. It's a great car.

Favorite Features

Comfort, reliability, gas mileage, it has a good engine (can pull stuff good)

Suggested Improvements

The turning radius is not that good, neither is the acceleration

Fits the bill
By Nick

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 2dr SUV 4WD

ZR2 spec Blazer. After 125,000 miles, the powertrain (original) is great--reliable and tough. I tow a boat and occasionally off road, and the Blazer does it well. The 5-speed manual shifts crisply, and on country roads especially I enjoy the drive. I average over 18mpg in general, which is really good for a truck-based SUV. City stop n' go driving stinks. Build quality is rough, and I have had some problems, but nothing major or expensive. I really like the vehicle's design and think it has worn well. I wish Chevy still built a "real truck" SUV smaller than the Tahoe. Used resale value is low, so they are a great used vehicle value.

Favorite Features

Tough design, torquey 4.3L V6, 5-speed manual, reliable powertrain, off-road capable, interior easy to clean, great fuel economy for a truck. Bottom line--this is a "real truck" SUV, and there aren't many of those left. A real American vehicle--designed, engineered, and built in the USA.

Suggested Improvements

Use precise machinery and people who take pride in their work to assemble these vehicles. Spend an extra few cents on interior parts and some components so they last longer.

Better then expected
By Rooster

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine with 115,000 on it, changed the shocks right away but since then I've had no problems what-so-ever. Started every morning through the Minneasota winter, heated up just fine and the 4 wheel drive was a blessing. I'm just starting to see a little rust on the rear bumper but thats an easy fix. It could be a bit more comfortable ride but I have a bad back and for a SUV it's not bad at all. Over all for the price I can't complain.

Favorite Features

I'd have to say it's reliability through a Minnesota winter.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system could be improved.