1998 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:
If you can keep it running, its great!
By indy mom on 09/03/05 01:08 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

The Blazer has a lot of interior room & is easy to drive (when it is not being worked on). 4WD works great; however, engine uses environmentally friendly (orange colored) coolant, which historically causes problems with the gaskets - I ended up dropping a new engine in it at 90,000 miles & now the computer is history at (110,000 miles). Good luck.

1998 4wd Blazer
By Conrad on 08/23/05 21:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I keep thinking just one more repair and it will last me awhile. Door hinges replaced, oil lines replaced, intake manifold gaskets replaced , cat replaced, air cond replaced, blinker switch replaced, O2 sensor bad now the air conditioner is acting up again. Besides that, a decent auto, ha ha, Thinking of getting a full size. Gas mileage for the Blazer is the same as a full size truck these days. The newer 5.3 v-8's are getting close to 19 mpg on the highway, my Blazer is only 18 at best. I might as well have the room and power if the gas mileage is going to stink.

Not so blazin'
By ZR2broke on 05/10/05 04:51 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 2dr SUV 4WD

I`ve owned my Blazer for two years,had nothing but problems the first year and a half. The following has been fixed or replaced, 2 universal joints, idler arm, 2 lower ball joints, alternator, no heat in the dead of winter, CD player, front speaker, pass.side recliner lever, ABS is junk, 4wd works when it wants to.

Love/Hate Relationship
By CButte on 04/21/05 23:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I don't know where to begin. Our Blazer has taken us deep into the back woods on 4WD trails, to the top of many 14,000' mountain peaks, and has always managed to get us home. With that said, it has also been the most unreliable, frustrating vehicle we've owned. Purchased used w/50k 4 years ago, it has required the following in the last 40k miles: Transmission, lwr ball joints, axle shaft, several seals, intake manifold gasket, pwr window motor, 4WD actuator, O2 sensor, rotors, etc. It has also suffered from the following common Blazer issues: Dexcool sludge requiring multiple flushes so the heater would work, multi-function switch gremlins, ghost- wipers & leaking oil filter lines.

Huge Mistake
By onthefly on 03/30/05 21:25 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 2dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Blazer used with only 8,500 miles on it. I had no problems at all until 32K. Alternator, battery, wiper motor, Dex-Cool sludge, engine oil cooler lines started leaking. I did all the repairs except I left the oil lines for the dealer. I really had no other problems until 72K. Oil cooler line leaking again, transmission slipping, brake caliper, 4WD semi engaging on its own, high speed vibration, heater core "crappy Dex-Cool". Spent $2300 and the dealer still can't fix the 4WD problem. I have taken very good care of this car,doing tune ups and fluid changes every year. I know I hate this car.

Best and dependable!
By jadunb on 01/08/05 10:41 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This has been a wonderful car. There is little maintenance and it is perfect for our business and family. We can haul just about anything but load the family also.

Money Pit
By Chubbs on 12/27/04 22:22 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought w/45K, average 10K per year. Awful mileage, constant laying out money. Needed FWD bearings right after buying it. Needed brakes. Now, it's a money pit - both seat levers broke (white metal), needs e-brake, fuel injectors leak, 4WD Hi won't engage, leaks antifreeze (manifold gasket)

98 Blazer a mixed bag
By nitefaze on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV

Basically, the Blazer is a good car. For the most part reliable. One bad alternator took out the battery and self destructed at about 48K miles over warrantee in time, I ate $800 repair while away from home. At 68K the water pump went, in a heart beat engine over heated and froze before we could get the car off the highway. Melt down to the tune of $3400. When somethings goes, it goes suddenly without warning and it is very expensive. Repairs have been avg about $600 yr. For a US car that might be typical, but 6 1/2 years ownership I think its bad after the warrantee ran out. Economically not an experiece I want to repeat.

Fun SUV
By Karl Powers on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 1998 Blazer with only 56,000 miles exatcly one year ago (March 2003) and I have had no problems. The back seat is kind of uncomfortable though.

Poor Engineering and Build Quality!!!
By NOMORECHEVYS on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Horrific ride but the worst thing is its POOR OVERALL QUALITY! Things that shouldn't leak @ 50K do; oil lines, front differential etc... And worse yet, stuff that shouldn't "ever" break (even if its sitting in a junkyard), does; door handles, seat adjustment knobs & levers. Not to mention, all the ball joints needing replacement before 50K. In fact, I'm surprised the engineers that designed this piece of CRAP can sleep at night. No wait, it's the Japanese who intentionally build in quality, right? I should have expected this from GM--needless to say, I sold mine and will be reading and believing these reviews "before" buying my next vehicle.