1998 Chevrolet Blazer Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

1998 Blazer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Sort Reviews by

Perfect 1st TEEN car
By justin

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Produces a decent amount of power from the 4.3L v6. It pumps out about 190hp, perfect for a teenage driver. Plus with the 4X4, it makes a pretty good off-road SUV. Pretty bad gas mileage The 4 doors are very convenient. And the big v6 gives it plenty of passing power. The cheap material for the interior rattles sometimes when you go on bumpy surfaces. And because its a Chevy, its gonna be in the shop alot if you drive it hard. I woulnt pay more than $6000 for a used Blazer. Its a good teen SUV, but thats about it.

Favorite Features

4X4 ability,and has alittle power

Suggested Improvements

Bigger gas tank, interior material, and gas mileage

Love My Blazer
By Kara

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Blazer as a 1st car, and I love it. I don't like the gas mileage, but everything else is amazing. I've been in a few ditches, and it gets right out. It's good with me being rough on a vehicle. Now I have 75000 mls on it, and it keeps going! I'd recommend a Blazer to any new driver, aka teenagers. It's safe and reliable in the winter, and fun to drive. It's also fun for camping. Just pile it full of things and off we go! Last, for those of you interested in subwoofers, the sound is amazing in it. Buy the cheapest and they will still sound amazing. This SUV is built for quality.

Favorite Features

4WD for when I need it, the space, the luxury of the entire vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. I really don't like getting 14 mpg when I drive 20 miles to work and school every day.

Good little SUV
By Dman

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

I own the ZR2 off road package Blazer. I would have to say it's the best looking compact SUV ever made and it's the LS so it has the nice over head screen and a power seat and power door locks and power windows and a alarm. I haven't owned it for too long but it runs fine and it has over 107,000 miles on it

Favorite Features

Sporty ZR2, lots of trouqe in the 4.3L V6. Decent gas mileage at 16.4 around town and over 20 on the highway

Suggested Improvements

Better plastics, the plastic rattles a lot and the gas tank is too small.

Avoid this year and model at all costs!
By carols

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Despite low annual mileage, it has been a repair disaster. I've repladed lower intake manifold gaskets, ruise control cable (2005), multi-function switch replace (controls signalling) (2005), replaced heater core, rear window wiper control, and leaking power steering pump (2005). The shop owners said this year was very well known for a design problem that leads heater core to fill with engine junk, eventually leading to failure of heating system; it was redesigned later models. Replace front/rear differntials in transfer case (2006), replaced valve cover gaskets, failed a/c compressor (2006) and replaced leaking water pump (2007) and now a failed ball joint (2008).

Favorite Features

Four wheel drive in snow

Suggested Improvements

Buy from another manufacturer.

i keep it cuz its paid for
By big jim

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought in 2000,4 months later transmission broke. Did fine until 02 when the alternator went out, 03 fuel pump, 05 new rotors and window motor, seat adjust handle broke, ball joints went bad, yada yada yada. Overall decent a-b car but I don't trust it for long trips. Now has 143,000 miles and the engine is still pretty good just the overall integrity of it is not so good. But like I said its paid for and stil running so ill run it till it dies since I wouldn't get what its worth trading in or selling it.

Favorite Features

driver leg room, sound system, good engine

Suggested Improvements

cheap plastic, electrical problems

1998 Ls 4x4 Blazer
By Caleb V

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my Blazer over a year, when I bought it, it needed a starter, changed that myself, around 77,000 the water pump barley started to leak, had that changed, other than that only standard maintainece including oil changes, trans flush, cooling flush, sterring linkage lubrication, breaks and rotors,and performance parts. Flowmaster exhaust, K&N intake. its a great truck and I love driving it. I plan on driving it till it dies (a long way off yet, at 80000 mi ). I also do some off roading, including trail riding and mudding and its never got me stuck or let me down yet. The large v6 could put out a little more horse power though, however I wouldn't want to sacrifice fuel economy

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive, power sun/moon roof, gage cluster, handling, exterior design, 4.3 Lt v6 (easy to work on for the most part).

Suggested Improvements

The interior plastic does seem to make quit a bit of rattle noise, I find that I can fix about half the sounds. Could have slightly more stock hp, maybe 210hp.

Just dont hit a deer!
By kbwjc07

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV 4dr SUV

Ran ok for the first 4 1/2 years. Had to replace the altenator, and belts,by the 5th year. But the interior didnt last 6 months. Vanity mirror cover on visors fell off. Handels on seats snapped off(cheap metal). Power seat motor gave out. Then the wiper motor, both front and rear wipers useless. A/C also. Then we hit the suicidal deer. Ball joints, rotors, bearings, basically the whole suspension. Internalized fuel pumps and sensors are a big mistake. 4wd works when it wants to. Power windows work one day then nothing the next. Repairs just seem to domino effect with this model. But all in all hanging in there given the milage and trauma

Favorite Features

The folding back seats. The power seats.

Suggested Improvements

Really need to work on the electrical stuff. No wimpy plastic grilles please!

A Great Vehicle
By A normal guy

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV

The 1998 Blazer is one of the most reliable cars you will own. I own a 4 door LT 2WD. Mine now has over 160,000 miles and it still rides great! Its comfy(it has leather seats with electric adjustment), gets pretty good gas mileage (16-20), and is fun to drive! However, the best part about this car is its reliability. This thing hasn't broken down on me one time in 160,000 miles. It has lasted through many trips, and still works good. It's a great car.

Favorite Features

Comfort, reliability, gas mileage, it has a good engine (can pull stuff good)

Suggested Improvements

The turning radius is not that good, neither is the acceleration

Fits the bill
By Nick

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

ZR2 spec Blazer. After 125,000 miles, the powertrain (original) is great--reliable and tough. I tow a boat and occasionally off road, and the Blazer does it well. The 5-speed manual shifts crisply, and on country roads especially I enjoy the drive. I average over 18mpg in general, which is really good for a truck-based SUV. City stop n' go driving stinks. Build quality is rough, and I have had some problems, but nothing major or expensive. I really like the vehicle's design and think it has worn well. I wish Chevy still built a "real truck" SUV smaller than the Tahoe. Used resale value is low, so they are a great used vehicle value.

Favorite Features

Tough design, torquey 4.3L V6, 5-speed manual, reliable powertrain, off-road capable, interior easy to clean, great fuel economy for a truck. Bottom line--this is a "real truck" SUV, and there aren't many of those left. A real American vehicle--designed, engineered, and built in the USA.

Suggested Improvements

Use precise machinery and people who take pride in their work to assemble these vehicles. Spend an extra few cents on interior parts and some components so they last longer.

Better then expected
By Rooster

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine with 115,000 on it, changed the shocks right away but since then I've had no problems what-so-ever. Started every morning through the Minneasota winter, heated up just fine and the 4 wheel drive was a blessing. I'm just starting to see a little rust on the rear bumper but thats an easy fix. It could be a bit more comfortable ride but I have a bad back and for a SUV it's not bad at all. Over all for the price I can't complain.

Favorite Features

I'd have to say it's reliability through a Minnesota winter.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system could be improved.