Used 1998 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

They don't make Chevy's like they used to!
By rreddy4

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV

I recently bought my 1998 Blazer LS less than a year ago with 111K as a 2nd car. Soon I had the transmission rebuilt afterwards. After that the passenger side wheel front wheel bearing started to make noise. Fixed problem, and then a week later,driver's side wheel bearing went out. Radiator started plugging up and replaced it and noticed a huge oil leak starting from the back of the motor. I really don't understand this, I owned a 1970 Impala many years back in college. Drove it 5 years to nearly 300K with no problems at all! Drove it back in forth from college on the weekends 300 miles each way and managed 18 mpg with 100% reliability . After the Blazer,no more domestic cars for me

Overhead console

EVERYTHING!

BAD EGG
By dkm5

1998 Chevrolet Blazer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle for a mail delivery vehicle in 2008. The rear end went out not long after purchase. Front end ball joints went out twice, A/C compressor leaked, driver window motor quit, mirrors fell off, ABS didn't work right (brakes worked better after taking out the fuse for the ABS). Fixed heater core and then it clogged up again 6 mo later. Found out I could make it through the winter by just blowing it out with a water hose (don't buy new heater core). The engine leaked water out of the intake and it is now going to the crusher ASAP.

Just Okay
By afj21

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV

I decided that after owning a 1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS for 10 years I should write a review on it. I purchased it in 2001 with 36K, AFTER the warranty expired at 60K , the car became a money pit. I called Chevy to see if they would assist me to no avail, the car was nickel and diming me to death. Drivers seat lever, all mirrors, passenger seat wouldn't lock in place, power windows quit working, rear hatch hydraulic lift levers, distributor (2X), heater core, new radiator, shocks (2X), chewed tons of brake pads and the check engine light on for Trans slippage for about 45K miles (which I refused to fix) Only after everything was fixed twice did it run up to 210K miles. Glad its gone.

The engine was strong. The 4.3 liter V6 is an amazing motor Chevy really did a fine job building that motor too bad everything else was made by fisher price. I'm 6'4" and I think it had plenty of leg and head room

Everything but the motor.

Good Camping Vehicle
By Anonymous

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV

I purchased this Blazer in 2008 (with 55,000 actual miles) to take camping and on long trips. I also own a 1999 Blazer two-door which was a trick to pack with tents, gazebos, coolers, and supplies for camping trips. This vehicle has tons of room for 2 of us and all our stuff. We looked at newer vehicles, and most of them do not hold nearly as much. The seats are not as comfortable as the 2-door, the ride is rougher, and it is a bit like a barge with respect to tight turns, but as a utility and camping vehicle - I have no major complaints.

artic air conditioning, lots of room to hold camping gear, reliable (so far!), decent gas mileage (20/21 mpg - highway) good visibility

I wish I had this car brand new
By Tina

1998 Chevrolet Blazer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the car used with 110 k and put new tranny in @ 115,000 k. It's needed front end work pretty much regularly. Ball joints, etc etc. The 4X4 is great! I got really good gas mileage until the fuel pump went out, now it's the standard 16 mpg.(was getting about 21mpg before!) The interior has nice luxury features. My favorite being the auto shut off of any light or anything plugged into the charger so the battery doesn't die. Blazer now has 150,000 plus miles and the radiator is rusted all the way through to heating coils etc. Have really had limited problems and been very reliable considering the lack of upkeep on maintenance due to financial difficulty.

Battery saver, outside temperature and direction you're driving

Better gas mileage for sure. Better quality, I have put far more money into this than I could ever hope to get in reselling. Unfortunately will take the loss to avoid the cost of upkeep.