Used 1998 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Blazer

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Most Helpful|
BAD EGG
By dkm5

1998 Chevrolet Blazer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle for a mail delivery vehicle in 2008. The rear end went out not long after purchase. Front end ball joints went out twice, A/C compressor leaked, driver window motor quit, mirrors fell off, ABS didn't work right (brakes worked better after taking out the fuse for the ABS). Fixed heater core and then it clogged up again 6 mo later. Found out I could make it through the winter by just blowing it out with a water hose (don't buy new heater core). The engine leaked water out of the intake and it is now going to the crusher ASAP.

I call mine "Old Reliable"
By johnnyt3

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My father got this car when it was about a year old. It's the LS model, so it's got pretty much all the options. Dad was a careful driver, so after more than a decade when he gave it to me, it had about 137K miles, but had been maintained meticulously. In the two years that I have have it, the only issues I have had were typical Blazer issues of the wiper circuit board, the recline handles breaking off, and the bushings on the door hinges wearing out. The only other "serious" issue was the alternator dying at about 140K miles. The replacement was easy, as I did it myself at a cost of $90 and less than an hour of labor.

Favorite Features

For me, the truck has been ultra-reliable. It will start up first time, every time. Transmission has been solid. Engine has always run strong and smooth and there are no leaks whatsoever. A/C needed a recharge once ($25 can at the auto parts store), but stayed charged going on two years now. Full array of options and plenty of room. I love my Blazer.

Solid First Vehicle
By ncergnul

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV

This car is a beast! I got this from my father 5 years ago. It has 170,000 miles and I have only had minor problems with it. They are known to leak oil but it wasn't too expensive of a fix. About 4 years ago I rolled my Blazer and had a lot of cosmetic damage as well as a few minor engine problems that we my own fault. It has ran perfectly since though. Great first car!

Favorite Features

Solid!

People need to learn how to drive!
By cobrabas1983

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My dad and i have owned a 1998 Chevy Blazer since 2003, bought it with just over 60,000 miles on it. It has been the best truck we have ever owned, other than wear and tear items we have not had to replace anything major. It currently has 142000 + miles and it is running like a champ with many years to go. If people would take care of their cars they wouldnt have much to bitch about, i just had to change the ORIGIONAL ball joints and some other bushings at 140000! Brakes, tires and other wear items are not the cars fault its the way people drive! I have towed cars, boats, and my landscape trailer with my blazer with out fail for 9 years.

AVOID IF ALL ELSE POSSIBLE
By roger721

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 Chevy Blazer LS as a lease return fall of 1999 to replace my trusty 1986 Chevy Caprice sedan w 240K (bought in 1988 W/12K) and a unbelievable reliable '70 Impala before that since 1972! Week after at the the Blazer purchase, I smelled burning oil and checked underneath and oil was dripping everywhere. Bad oil sending unit, replaced at dealer with deductible I had to pay. Within 2 weeks later oil leak again, this time oil cooler lines. 4 months later, gear selector,odometer lights go out and then wheel bearing. Last straw, going through car wash, windshield started pouring in water. Cut my losses,got rid of it. Bought a Honda CRV w/20k and 120K later not 1 problem!

Favorite Features

Cargo room and overhead console.

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start? And where do I end? This is very dissapointing to say negative comments of a Chevrolet product I was dear to for many decades. As stated before, from my first Chevy after graduating college in 1972 was a 1970 Impala coupe with a 350. Drove it nearly 20 years to 280K miles with zero problems and replaced it with 1986 Caprice sedan in 1988. Another awesome comfortable reliable car to240K. Then the Blazer, very UNRELIABLE and I could go on with what I would improve though don't have time. I also have a 1992 Chevy C/K pickup, with 210K with a 350. Another die hard Chevy product (aside from the cab door hinges). Take my word, if your were to buy a Blazer please reconsider.