1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:
I call mine "Old Reliable"
By johnnyt3 on 06/12/13 09:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My father got this car when it was about a year old. It's the LS model, so it's got pretty much all the options. Dad was a careful driver, so after more than a decade when he gave it to me, it had about 137K miles, but had been maintained meticulously. In the two years that I have have it, the only issues I have had were typical Blazer issues of the wiper circuit board, the recline handles breaking off, and the bushings on the door hinges wearing out. The only other "serious" issue was the alternator dying at about 140K miles. The replacement was easy, as I did it myself at a cost of $90 and less than an hour of labor.

Solid First Vehicle
By ncergnul on 05/08/13 09:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV

This car is a beast! I got this from my father 5 years ago. It has 170,000 miles and I have only had minor problems with it. They are known to leak oil but it wasn't too expensive of a fix. About 4 years ago I rolled my Blazer and had a lot of cosmetic damage as well as a few minor engine problems that we my own fault. It has ran perfectly since though. Great first car!

People need to learn how to drive!
By cobrabas1983 on 09/08/12 00:19 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My dad and i have owned a 1998 Chevy Blazer since 2003, bought it with just over 60,000 miles on it. It has been the best truck we have ever owned, other than wear and tear items we have not had to replace anything major. It currently has 142000 + miles and it is running like a champ with many years to go. If people would take care of their cars they wouldnt have much to bitch about, i just had to change the ORIGIONAL ball joints and some other bushings at 140000! Brakes, tires and other wear items are not the cars fault its the way people drive! I have towed cars, boats, and my landscape trailer with my blazer with out fail for 9 years.

AVOID IF ALL ELSE POSSIBLE
By roger721 on 04/01/12 07:48 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 Chevy Blazer LS as a lease return fall of 1999 to replace my trusty 1986 Chevy Caprice sedan w 240K (bought in 1988 W/12K) and a unbelievable reliable '70 Impala before that since 1972! Week after at the the Blazer purchase, I smelled burning oil and checked underneath and oil was dripping everywhere. Bad oil sending unit, replaced at dealer with deductible I had to pay. Within 2 weeks later oil leak again, this time oil cooler lines. 4 months later, gear selector,odometer lights go out and then wheel bearing. Last straw, going through car wash, windshield started pouring in water. Cut my losses,got rid of it. Bought a Honda CRV w/20k and 120K later not 1 problem!

ok i suppose
By chaddd on 03/30/12 20:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV

just got from relative in houston, has engine issues=fuel, trans, did wires, service trans,fuel filter, still runs crappy no power, just learned =code=lean all banks=mass airflow sensor= kindy expensive part= current mileage 189,000 also has rear wiper issues not worky right.

They don't make Chevy's like they used to!
By rreddy4 on 02/26/12 01:10 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV

I recently bought my 1998 Blazer LS less than a year ago with 111K as a 2nd car. Soon I had the transmission rebuilt afterwards. After that the passenger side wheel front wheel bearing started to make noise. Fixed problem, and then a week later,driver's side wheel bearing went out. Radiator started plugging up and replaced it and noticed a huge oil leak starting from the back of the motor. I really don't understand this, I owned a 1970 Impala many years back in college. Drove it 5 years to nearly 300K with no problems at all! Drove it back in forth from college on the weekends 300 miles each way and managed 18 mpg with 100% reliability . After the Blazer,no more domestic cars for me

BAD EGG
By dkm5 on 06/28/11 20:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle for a mail delivery vehicle in 2008. The rear end went out not long after purchase. Front end ball joints went out twice, A/C compressor leaked, driver window motor quit, mirrors fell off, ABS didn't work right (brakes worked better after taking out the fuse for the ABS). Fixed heater core and then it clogged up again 6 mo later. Found out I could make it through the winter by just blowing it out with a water hose (don't buy new heater core). The engine leaked water out of the intake and it is now going to the crusher ASAP.

Just Okay
By afj21 on 04/04/11 07:37 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV

I decided that after owning a 1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS for 10 years I should write a review on it. I purchased it in 2001 with 36K, AFTER the warranty expired at 60K , the car became a money pit. I called Chevy to see if they would assist me to no avail, the car was nickel and diming me to death. Drivers seat lever, all mirrors, passenger seat wouldn't lock in place, power windows quit working, rear hatch hydraulic lift levers, distributor (2X), heater core, new radiator, shocks (2X), chewed tons of brake pads and the check engine light on for Trans slippage for about 45K miles (which I refused to fix) Only after everything was fixed twice did it run up to 210K miles. Glad its gone.

Good Camping Vehicle
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV

I purchased this Blazer in 2008 (with 55,000 actual miles) to take camping and on long trips. I also own a 1999 Blazer two-door which was a trick to pack with tents, gazebos, coolers, and supplies for camping trips. This vehicle has tons of room for 2 of us and all our stuff. We looked at newer vehicles, and most of them do not hold nearly as much. The seats are not as comfortable as the 2-door, the ride is rougher, and it is a bit like a barge with respect to tight turns, but as a utility and camping vehicle - I have no major complaints.

I wish I had this car brand new
By Tina on 03/31/10 17:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Blazer SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the car used with 110 k and put new tranny in @ 115,000 k. It's needed front end work pretty much regularly. Ball joints, etc etc. The 4X4 is great! I got really good gas mileage until the fuel pump went out, now it's the standard 16 mpg.(was getting about 21mpg before!) The interior has nice luxury features. My favorite being the auto shut off of any light or anything plugged into the charger so the battery doesn't die. Blazer now has 150,000 plus miles and the radiator is rusted all the way through to heating coils etc. Have really had limited problems and been very reliable considering the lack of upkeep on maintenance due to financial difficulty.