1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:
Blazers can be FUN
By PATsFan on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

After four years and 55,000 miles not a single problem and this SUV is still a head turner. Now, I babied it for sure; garaged, oil changes, lube. But in return I've had nothing but good times in this truck. I'll trade in soon (I like to change every 3 years or so) and I only hope my next vehicle is as reliable and fun as the Blazer.

always garaged.....@ repair shop
By iboughtalemon on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my '97 blazer used with less than thirty thousand miles, intending to put on One hudred thousand or more. I just can't seem to keep it out of the shop long enough to put the miles on it. I now have close to seventy thousand pampered miles and have over $4000 in repairs.... 1 complete rear end, a new set of lifters(under 50k), valve body in transmission, pulley on serpentine belt system and several other minor things that I can't recall. I am currently getting ready to install a new fuel pump and gas guage or amybe I'll just get another car.

About to retire this at 110K miles
By JoelK on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV 2dr SUV

I am trading selling my 1997 Chevy Blazer after 5 years of ownership and 110 miles. Had about 3 major repairs (heater core, transmission, signal) all covered by an extended warrantee. This CAN'T handle for nothing in snow!

I would buy another one!
By Fulla on 07/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased it used in 2001 with 70k miles on it. It has 101k on it now and other than new brakes and a few oil changes I have had no problems with it.

Positive Experience
By trenaldi on 07/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I was concerned when purchasing because of the Consumer Reports below average reliability rating but the price was right so we went for it. Well five years later I'm happy to report that not one thing has gone wrong with my Blazer (other than the normal stuff brakes, battery, tires etc.) I change the oil every 3k miles and follow the suggested maintenance.

Coop's blazer
By Coop on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought it not too long ago. I haven't had any problems except for the service engine light comes on for something that is in my transmission but i know what it is and it is an easy fixer. Besides that i love it.

My No-Problem Chevorlet
By Ken Preston on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV

Maybe I'm lucky, but my 1997 Chevy Blazer has been an excellent car. The interior may leave something to be desired, but the performance has been without equal. I'm approaching 100k with no major problems.

Chevy Blazer is a joke
By Mike Reis on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

If you enjoy going to the repair shop, and being without your car for extended periods, this is the car for you. I treated my Blazer with kid gloves and performed regular maintenance. But it always broke down. Major repairs included the transmission, suspension, alternator, exhaust, and more. To add insult to injury, I had purchased an extended warranty. The only "guarantee" was that Chevy service would hassle you every time you brought it in and make you wait weeks at a time. Gas tank is far too small for such as guzzler, and the stereo broke three times to boot. Fun to drive, but it was in the shop so often, I'm not sure.

97 Blazer
By Gregoryj on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Nice riding car, ergnomics are super. Push button 4 wheel drive, nice leather interior on LT models. Sporty wheels.

too much maintenance
By Thumbsdown on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

In 5 years have put in over $3000.00 worth of repairs. Transmission rebuilt at 60K miles and again at 93K miles. Many problems with U-joints, upper and lower ball joints, and idler arms. Engine makes a high-pitched squeal when idle and when stopped. No passenger side air-bag.