Used 1997 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Blazer

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

No problems
By Big B

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV

I've had my Blazer now for about six years and I haven't had a single problem. It's run perfectly, haven't had to put it in a shop, not once. The v-6 puts out great power and it runs very smoothly. It gets almost twenty miles to the gallon in the city and about twenty five on the highway. I love my Blazer and wouldn't sell it for anything.

Favorite Features

The power!

not that bad
By Ryan

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We have had a lot of little things go wrong with the Blazer, but overall we have been pleased. The side mirrors shake a lot on the highway. The fuel consumption is heavy. It is a fun ride though.

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior

Suggested Improvements

Take better care of the little things before it goes on the market.

Well pleased
By Paul Kemper

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Had transmission problem at 70K -a known problem. Covered by extendend warranty. No major problems for next 70000+ miles, just normal maintenance - belts, hoses, oil changes, etc. I haul a lot of electronic equipment, sometimes pull a boat. Vortec 6 cyl is a workhorse. Get 22 mpg on the road. I would buy another if they still made them.

Favorite Features

Interior room, Vortec engine

Suggested Improvements

Put the S10 back in production at a reasonable price.

Will never buy again
By finallygotridofit

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This probably was a good vehicle in 1997, the day it rolled of the line, but it was a constant headache. Transmissions, yes plural, oil cooler lines, shocks, ball joints, electrical problems (no brake lights, have to jiggle the hazards to make them work) and the worst of all, gas mileage. It feels like you have a parachute strapped to the back of it!! Definitely not for one who doesn't like working for the gas pump. It looks great and does ride well, and the four wheel drive is great, but you can't really rely on it to get you anywhere without wondering if you have at least 40 bucks for gas and if it's gonna arrive safely

Favorite Features

Styling, towing capacity, off road capabilities

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, electrical

Spending a lot of time in the shop
By HT

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I really like my truck, but I've spent a ton of money to repair every little thing from the alternator to the transmission. In two years, I've spent over $5,000 making various repairs. My mechanic is surprised that I put so much into a car known for its issues, but I love my truck. The cost would have been more money had I not gotten the extended warranty when I first bought the car. I will say that when it's not in the shop, this truck has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it. This is a gas guzzler. I've averaged 13-15 MPG, but's that's the price you pay for owning an SUV.

Favorite Features

Body style, fully loaded, strong engine

Suggested Improvements

Better overall quality would be nice.