1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:
No problems
By Big B on 10/13/05 01:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV

I've had my Blazer now for about six years and I haven't had a single problem. It's run perfectly, haven't had to put it in a shop, not once. The v-6 puts out great power and it runs very smoothly. It gets almost twenty miles to the gallon in the city and about twenty five on the highway. I love my Blazer and wouldn't sell it for anything.

not that bad
By Ryan on 10/05/05 06:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We have had a lot of little things go wrong with the Blazer, but overall we have been pleased. The side mirrors shake a lot on the highway. The fuel consumption is heavy. It is a fun ride though.

Well pleased
By Paul Kemper on 08/12/05 07:57 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Had transmission problem at 70K -a known problem. Covered by extendend warranty. No major problems for next 70000+ miles, just normal maintenance - belts, hoses, oil changes, etc. I haul a lot of electronic equipment, sometimes pull a boat. Vortec 6 cyl is a workhorse. Get 22 mpg on the road. I would buy another if they still made them.

Will never buy again
By finallygotridofit on 07/21/05 15:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This probably was a good vehicle in 1997, the day it rolled of the line, but it was a constant headache. Transmissions, yes plural, oil cooler lines, shocks, ball joints, electrical problems (no brake lights, have to jiggle the hazards to make them work) and the worst of all, gas mileage. It feels like you have a parachute strapped to the back of it!! Definitely not for one who doesn't like working for the gas pump. It looks great and does ride well, and the four wheel drive is great, but you can't really rely on it to get you anywhere without wondering if you have at least 40 bucks for gas and if it's gonna arrive safely

Spending a lot of time in the shop
By HT on 06/22/05 13:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I really like my truck, but I've spent a ton of money to repair every little thing from the alternator to the transmission. In two years, I've spent over $5,000 making various repairs. My mechanic is surprised that I put so much into a car known for its issues, but I love my truck. The cost would have been more money had I not gotten the extended warranty when I first bought the car. I will say that when it's not in the shop, this truck has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it. This is a gas guzzler. I've averaged 13-15 MPG, but's that's the price you pay for owning an SUV.

1997 LT Owner
By Mark on 03/31/05 11:55 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV

I've owned this Blazer since it waS new. About to turn over 100k miles. Just put on the 3rd set of tires. Not a lot of problems for a vehicle that old, but here is a list of problems I've had: Excessive paint chips since it was new, entire car repainted by dealer. 4WD is currently intermittent due to a vacuum problem. Leaking coolant. Replaced fuel sender. Hazard/brakelight/turn signal switch bad, intermittent brake lights. Replaced 3 speakers. Body molding coming off. Hoses to oil filter leaking. Climate control diverter is messed up, delayed in switching from floor to defrost, etc. probably due to vacuum leak. Never a MAJOR problem though.....

Never buy another
By Stickslinger on 12/03/04 14:01 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Had nothing but problems almost from day one. Power steering leaked, oil leaked, cooling system leaked and always rattled going down the highway. I liked the interior and they way it was laid out but there was always something going wrong engine wise. Replaced alternator, power steering pump and it loved to chew thru serpentine belts. If it didn't break the belt, it squeeled so loud you had to replace it or wear ear plugs while driving. Had ball joints replaced and had problems with the brake light not working. Ended up being a switch near the floor board that had to be taken apart about every month and cleaned out then brake lights worked again. Not enough pwr to tow anything big.

97 blazer
By dbowis on 11/10/04 20:19 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has 145000 miles on it and is still very reliable and everything works.

Selling my 97' Blazer after 2 years
By C_Deep on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV 2dr SUV

This was a good vehicle. I bought it with 162K miles and it now has 180k miles. It was very reliable and didn't leave me stranded. The motor is still powerful after 180K miles, but it could use new suspension parts.

What a piece of junk.
By Gmsick on 08/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this suv from my father, (the first owner) he had problems with it since it was new, It had 35,00 miles on when i took it, well, you name it has broke, transmission had to be replaced,contol switches, the outside mirrors just fell off,rattles,gas gauge dont work,alt,haz button,turn signal switch, window motors,cooling system,ac leaks,paint is peeling off,braking system is weak, washer bottle leaks, the four wheel drive stopped working (two repairs),and too many things to let me list here, it seems that my wife calls me a least once every two weeks and tells me something else is wrong with the blazer. I have always been a chevy fan, not anymore.