Used 1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Great Car!!!
By krzykrl25

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've always been in love with Honda but recently when my car died, I got a great deal on a Blazer that I couldn't pass up. The transmission had recently been replaced and I figured for the price it was well worth it. After having my Honda for 275,000 miles with no problems, I wanted something very reliable, and I've found it. I've owned it now for about 5 months and it's a great car. Very reliable and starts right up for me every time. I recommend a Chevy Blazer to anyone and everyone. I can't say enough good things about the quality and how well built it is. Chevy is now another auto maker that I will consider purchasing cars from.

The 4x4 and the sunroof.

I wish the interior design was a little better and the seats aren't the most comfortable. My biggest con is that the passenger side doesn't have an airbag.

Money Pit
By nyswag

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This was my first car and it's in the shop right now for about the 7th time in a year. in the past 3 months I have had to have it towed 4 times. I have put over 2 grand into it with repairs. It goes through gas like nothing, brakes failed on me twice, rear windshield wiper doesn't work anymore, power seats and locks don't work anymore. I will never own another blazer. Sure it was great in the snow and looks decent but everything else is pretty terrible. I would not recommend this as a daily driver...maybe just for someone to use in the snow and that's it.

none

everything

I miss mine
By speedboy3000

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This was my second car, and it was the best thing a kid could have. It's 4x4 system got me anywhere and everywhere I wanted to go, places that none of my friends could get to. Loyal, trustworthy, and a real blast. And by real blast, I mean literally. Going over a mountain pass, it threw a rod. Unfortunately replacing the engine would cost as much as the car was worth, so I had to part with it. I researched if this was a regular problem, and to no avail. This was a fluke. It was a great vehicle and only wearing parts had to be replaced. I would get another in good condition in a heart beat.

4x4, good engine, good transmission, strong frame, good suspension, tailgate system rather than hatch I preferred, all around good car with a lot of utility.

Coulda done with better gas mileage, would appreciated it if the engine didn't blow up

Makes it through the valley of death.
By chad1893

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Well it was purchased at 55,000 miles and now has 156,000 miles ive had it for six years recenly handed it down, it packed in the power and was great in snow the 4 wheel drive was great, it sat up high and you'll feel like the navigator of the road. It was hard giving it away i loved it. Had it for awhile it had a great drivetrain.

4 wheel drive leather seats, compase and temperature instrument, seats fold down for good cargo room. great drivetrain. Never made me spend more then the price of tires on it.

at a certain mileage the cabin gets rattley you can fix that though, the fuel pump went out three times (when it does dont buy the aftermarket fuel pump spend some money so it doesent happen again), ignition module needed switching, and transmission might start to kick. use lucas geer transmission additive.

Chevrolet got these right.
By kolbpilot

1997 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV

I basically agree with all the positive comments about these series ('95-'04) Blazers. I've driven quite a few vehicles in my life and this second hand, high mileage Blazer I bought continues to impress. Mine has been reliable, so far. Original exhaust, 210,000 miles.

2 wheel drive. Improves steering, handling, ride & weight. The machine to get for a vehicle that lives on streets & highways. I too, enjoy the split rear window, tailgate feature, giving way to a large, useful cargo area. Well thought out.

Nothing to say here, the series, and Blazer, is no more. I can only go by my '97. The front seats are a little small, but still somewhat comfortable. The 2wd version is a simpler machine, meaning more reliable.