1997 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:
Money Pit
By nyswag on 06/05/13 06:25 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This was my first car and it's in the shop right now for about the 7th time in a year. in the past 3 months I have had to have it towed 4 times. I have put over 2 grand into it with repairs. It goes through gas like nothing, brakes failed on me twice, rear windshield wiper doesn't work anymore, power seats and locks don't work anymore. I will never own another blazer. Sure it was great in the snow and looks decent but everything else is pretty terrible. I would not recommend this as a daily driver...maybe just for someone to use in the snow and that's it.

I miss mine
By speedboy3000 on 08/30/12 10:40 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This was my second car, and it was the best thing a kid could have. It's 4x4 system got me anywhere and everywhere I wanted to go, places that none of my friends could get to. Loyal, trustworthy, and a real blast. And by real blast, I mean literally. Going over a mountain pass, it threw a rod. Unfortunately replacing the engine would cost as much as the car was worth, so I had to part with it. I researched if this was a regular problem, and to no avail. This was a fluke. It was a great vehicle and only wearing parts had to be replaced. I would get another in good condition in a heart beat.

Makes it through the valley of death.
By chad1893 on 02/29/12 20:01 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Well it was purchased at 55,000 miles and now has 156,000 miles ive had it for six years recenly handed it down, it packed in the power and was great in snow the 4 wheel drive was great, it sat up high and you'll feel like the navigator of the road. It was hard giving it away i loved it. Had it for awhile it had a great drivetrain.

Chevrolet got these right.
By kolbpilot on 08/09/11 17:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV

I basically agree with all the positive comments about these series ('95-'04) Blazers. I've driven quite a few vehicles in my life and this second hand, high mileage Blazer I bought continues to impress. Mine has been reliable, so far. Original exhaust, 210,000 miles.

great machine - i've owned this car longer than any
By chevyonlyfon on 03/01/11 23:24 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV

This has been the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. i usually et rid of cars around 5 years - because they are uncomfortable or just not pleasureable any longer. This car i have never tired of is so comfortable and ergonomic - i have yet to find a car that makes me feel at such ease driving - minus the poor breaking. The reliability has been nothing short of astounding . though i have put some into repairs.. 400 for an ignition switch - 700 for a fuel pump. i spent 55 bucks for a wiper motor - which later was reimbursed for under recall. and i did have the dex cool problem- cost me 141 bucks to replace the radiator - 1300 $ in 14 years.. amazing..

Good Power, Reliability Questionable
By MJWACK on 04/13/10 09:48 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Drove the Blazer for one-year and sold it thinking to upgrade, but probably let it go too cheap. The 4.3 V6 was a powerful engine, the LT trim was awesome, but I ran into drivetrain problems and it began to leak out of the rear main seal at around 115k, then it started leaking anti-freeze from the head gaskets. Also had to replace a leaky CV axle, then just started leaking again from the front differential. Also a vacuum line disconnected and the electronic 4x4 wouldn't engage. The AC had some problems too. Overall this was a good car, but with over 100k I wasn't ready to accept the maintenance costs and got sick of leaking fluids.

ok truck
By jay on 03/03/10 14:55 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

this truck was a good vehicle, it was reliable, considering that this website states a lot of problems, only problems it had were because of me. It hardly needed anything other than the usual, oil change. gas was bad seen it wasted more gas then my Tahoe (v8).the power was bad as well considering engine size 4.3 and only 190hp

First Suv
By Jeserfen on 10/06/09 09:49 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This was my first SUV purchased. I enjoyed it, while it ran. Bought it used in 2004 (7 yrs old) with 70k miles. Around 85K alternator went out. 90k fuel pump out. 100k seat adjust handles broke and started having electrical problems with stereo. Randomly switches sound from speaker to speaker, they never work at the same time anymore. Have had to rebuild transmission, 2 alternators, 3 batteries (in 5 years) brake rotors, rear window wiper stopped working, starter, cargo net posts broke. Very much a plastic interior that breaks when you touch it. However the exterior is solid, I have hit a vehicle and only got a dent while other person had to buy a new front end clip.

4wd nice, guzzles gas and breaks often
By Gary on 06/27/09 21:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV 4WD

bought with 45000, since replaced brakes twice, engine, alternator, starter X 2, wiring problems numerous, check engine soon light has been on at least a half dozen times and required many different repairs. The Blazer just turned 100000 and I am having serious transmission problems. I have always loved Chevys, but I doubt I'll ever buy another after this one. The 4.3 is a slug. wife has a Saturn Vue with the 3.5 Honda engine and it will smoke the 4.3 and gets good MPG. Stay away from the Blazer.

watch the tranny
By chris on 02/28/09 18:34 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I first bought my Blazer with 61 k on and at 7 years old. Soon had to replace the usual, (tires, brakes, fluids etc). Overall very reliable if you take care of it. Today with 180k I have to put it away as there are serious problems with age even if you take care of it. Last year the tranny went .... 2400... Never been the same since.... But I love the interior, all leather and with the sunroof and electric features it was great. The gas gauge never worked. Now there is a metallic squealing in first gear ( tranny a year old), and the repair shop long gone. I did get use out of it as I travel a lot and far... Have not had front end or ball joint problems but have had rear end issues(axle&seals)