Used 1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Love The Heavy Chevy
By robes_71

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Blazer in 2006 with 136,000 miles on it with the intention of using it mostly for towing my boat. Baby came, sold the boat, now it's a daily driver. Long story short, it's been a great vehicle. I now have 185,000 miles on it and have only replaced the alternator. I average 20+ mpg on the highway, which I feel is excellent for an SUV with that many miles. The 4x4 is sure footed and has never failed me. My only beef would be the braking could be a little stiffer, but I've had that complaint of all Chevy's, so maybe it's just me. My dad has a 98' blazer with close to 300k miles. The 4.3L runs forever! I will definitely keep my Blazer until it rusts into oblivion.

Favorite Features

The 4.3L engine.

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer brakes.

Love mine, will never trade in
By heather0325spring

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Blazer in 1999, love the way it looks and rides. It does sway a little in the wind but so used to it now I hardly notice. Handles great in the snow. Only major fixes to it was the fuel pump at 136,000 miles and the intake manifold gaskets needed replaced (involves taking the top of the engine off) If you have one and have problems with overheating check that out. Other than that just basic maintenance, spark plugs oil changes, alternator, water pump and battery, no major deal considering the miles on it.. No transmission problems at all

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive. I put 31 inch tires on mine not the standard 23 inch that they are called for. And I have an amp and subwoofer in the cargo area. Sounds great!

Great running SUV
By raiderzfan422

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1996 Blazer 1 and 1/2 years ago with 108,000 on it. It has been very reliable and has had no major problems. If you maintain these vehicles they will run for a long time. Change oil every 3k, tune ups and make sure to grease all ball joints and fittings etc. Flush coolant as well becuase of the known problems with the cooling systems. I love my Blazer and maintain it very well. Vehicle now has 126000 on it and all I have replaced is battery, alternator, thermostat and a rear end seal.

Favorite Features

Having a V6 with 4wd. The ability to tow my jetskis very easily. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Interior can be noisy and could use improvements.

No more GM
By Run while you can

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Blazer with 32000 miles on it and have had to repair it constantly. Alternator twice, water pump 3 times, intake gaskets, axle bearings, transmission, cooling system rusted up and no amount of flushing will stop it. I have an open ground in the wiring harness and had to ground the blower motor directly to chassis ground. Vacuum lines have become brittle and shut down the windshield washers, 4wd and ac. When I tried to splice them, they crumbled in my hands. The tensioner fell off the engine and the transmission went out despite frequent fluid and filter changes. I have been loyal to GM through their diesel days and bad overdrive transmissions but I am done with them. No more GM.

Favorite Features

None. I liked my Blazer when I first bought it. When I had to pour money into repairs constantly I started having second thoughts. I will not buy GM ever again.

Suggested Improvements

Quit building things to fail and try to build them to last. I have vacuum lines on a 1978 El Camino in better shape than my Blazer at 50000 miles. Brakes. Clue: when you put cheap plastic in hot places like a transmisson it falls apart. Stop whittling away at the quality of your products.

Cheap but gets the job done
By Kev

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This car was purchased brand new 11 years ago and since put 87000 miles on it. It has been fairly reliable throughout these mile. However, on the down side, performance and quality is on the poor side. Maintenance is a real biggy. Since it's American, fixing this car is a hassle thanks to poor design of the engine bay. The major problems that comes up are the fan and alignment issues. Frequently, my coolant tank will get dirty with grime and dirt and needs to be cleaned. Also, I noticed once I have the AC on, the car will sometimes overheat, going past the mid point of the temp gauge. This can be a result of a recall back in 1997 with the fan.

Favorite Features

ABS (works great in wet conditions), Off-road capabilities, Compact size is ideal in the city, Loads of low end torque (picks up nicely)

Suggested Improvements

Redesign everything from the ground up. This includes the new Trailblazer as well. Chevy trucks fall victim to traditional design and parts. Suspension and handling is a big issue as well as the plastic interior