1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:
96 chevy s-10
By memphistiger on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV 4dr SUV

would recommend this vehicle for a first-time driver (high school kid). after 7 years and 90,000 miles, it is still in great condition.

more trouble lately
By iced tea on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This car was great at first. But as time went on we started having lots of trouble. Cooloing system is lousy. Aluminum parts mixed with metal parts causes deterioration in the cooling system and motor when you use the factory recommended coolant. This problem will always be here. I've been told by my mechanic, ( after 4 major flushes and replacement of nearly everything in the coolant system) there is no recourse but to trade it in. Won't buy another.

Don't Wast Your Money
By hixsonr on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck used three years ago...first the trasmission went ($2000) then about a year later every front suspension part broke one at a time...once all the parts were repaced the factory weld failed in two places by the front left tire..the cooling system...turns out chevey put out a tech memo that they messed up the cooling system, but didn't recall it only fixed selected models...mine wasn't one of them...slowely all of the parts of the cooling system started to go. first it was the intake gasket, the heater core, the thermastate.etc...thousands of dollars in repare...don't wast your money oh and the tires their never on sale

if you have money to spend
By maggie1 on 10/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

first 1200 (1996)miles blew a transmission seal, then air conditioner wouldnt work while 105 in Nevada. Costly tows (reimbursed) due to warranty many times in the garage due to transmission problems, replaced transmission in 2002 and the extended warrantly goes back to the original date of purchase not the date we had implemented. will not buy another GM blazer type vehicle, especially this kind. I have talked to many other owners and yes they too have had tranny problems.

Not a reliable car!
By AJ kline on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car thinking it would be the greatest thing ever! This has given me nothing but problems! It doesnt get very good gas mileage, i needed to replace the alternator, battery, head cylinder, brakes and more. It has 130k miles and many things are falling apart on the inside. The rear left door gets jammed shut, the drivers door hindge is falling apart, backseat drivers side power window button broke, and many other things are falling down hill! Everytime i get in the car i just hope it will get me from one place to another without dying. Do yourself a favor and get a different car, unless you plan on putting 5,000$+ into auto- parts!

It's a money pit!!!
By loyd629 on 08/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has needed more repairs than any other car I have ever owned. I too have had problems with oil leaks requiring high cost repairs. AC, engine, transmission problems. Each time I say I will sell it, another costly repair is required and then I keep it only to get back a little of what I put into it. I am very good about doing the routine maintenance so it is not that I just let this car go. I wil not buy one again, nor would I ever recommend it. --I also get poor gas mileage.

Chevy's For Life
By Chevy Man on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my blazer used and it had 45,000 miles on it I have put on 103,000 since then. Within 6 months I had a new tranny, Brake System, and Air Conditioning system. But you can't turn back time and redo what the person before you did. Since then I have had really no problems I have Had to replace the thermostat several times and a battery a couple of times and that is about it. It is Great for a Family.

Blazer is better then exploder
By dv on 07/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

What an awsome and fun truck to drive. gas mileage needs to be improved a little

Very Reliable/Excellent Dependability
By dennosar on 06/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

It has overall been an extremely reliable vehicle. I live in Alaska and I travel often 150 miles one way at a stretch. The highway can be very lonely in the winter months (I carry a cell phone in case I need it, often times it is of no use to me do to the mountains blocking reception!) Four wheel drive is a must here! I use it all the time on slick roads and off road along beaches gathering clams or along the river here in extremely deep, soft, sand to fish. The only negative thing I have encountered with the vehicle was the oil cooler hoses were leaky and I had trouble getting one due to a nation wide backorder issue.

excellent, but very bad.
By thomasde on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Seems that what this vehicle does well, it does very well, and what it does poorly it does very poorly. I bought the vehicle with the extended road trip in mind, and it eats up highway miles very well. The car is very confortable, the seats provide good back support and the highway ride is quite smooth. Also, the fuel economy is as good as it gets for a mid-sized SUV. However, I have replaced my most of my front-end and cooling system components. Also, the car is too narrow and hence, too unstable, making city driving difficult and wind treacherous.