1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:
Loved
By Sky on 01/22/09 09:29 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I just got my Blazer in November '08. It has 162,200 miles on it and runs great! The only problem I had was the battery was loose, but it was easily fixed. Other than that, I lovev my Blazer.

Regret getting this as first car
By jmpettey3 on 01/05/09 14:36 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle was amazing when i first purchased it. But then it went downhill from there. Once one thing broke down. Then another. I had parts quitting on me one right after another. I have practically replaced all major parts. Getting ready to replace the alternator.

Good looking truck
By Tony on 10/22/08 07:34 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the truck new and in 12 years have driven 28,100 miles. I had to replace the alternator at 20,000 miles and upgraded the brake system with drilled and slotted rotors and high performance pads. Now the brakes are great. My 2nd battery died last nite. I needed to fix the leaking oil lines which also leaked in my 1994 Pontiac Gran Prix. Other than the above listed problems the truck rides great and has good acceleration, confort, looks and reliability.

Love The Heavy Chevy
By robes_71 on 10/03/08 21:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Blazer in 2006 with 136,000 miles on it with the intention of using it mostly for towing my boat. Baby came, sold the boat, now it's a daily driver. Long story short, it's been a great vehicle. I now have 185,000 miles on it and have only replaced the alternator. I average 20+ mpg on the highway, which I feel is excellent for an SUV with that many miles. The 4x4 is sure footed and has never failed me. My only beef would be the braking could be a little stiffer, but I've had that complaint of all Chevy's, so maybe it's just me. My dad has a 98' blazer with close to 300k miles. The 4.3L runs forever! I will definitely keep my Blazer until it rusts into oblivion.

Love mine, will never trade in
By heather0325spring on 07/11/08 15:31 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Blazer in 1999, love the way it looks and rides. It does sway a little in the wind but so used to it now I hardly notice. Handles great in the snow. Only major fixes to it was the fuel pump at 136,000 miles and the intake manifold gaskets needed replaced (involves taking the top of the engine off) If you have one and have problems with overheating check that out. Other than that just basic maintenance, spark plugs oil changes, alternator, water pump and battery, no major deal considering the miles on it.. No transmission problems at all

Great running SUV
By raiderzfan422 on 02/09/08 13:30 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1996 Blazer 1 and 1/2 years ago with 108,000 on it. It has been very reliable and has had no major problems. If you maintain these vehicles they will run for a long time. Change oil every 3k, tune ups and make sure to grease all ball joints and fittings etc. Flush coolant as well becuase of the known problems with the cooling systems. I love my Blazer and maintain it very well. Vehicle now has 126000 on it and all I have replaced is battery, alternator, thermostat and a rear end seal.

No more GM
By Run while you can on 11/11/07 21:45 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Blazer with 32000 miles on it and have had to repair it constantly. Alternator twice, water pump 3 times, intake gaskets, axle bearings, transmission, cooling system rusted up and no amount of flushing will stop it. I have an open ground in the wiring harness and had to ground the blower motor directly to chassis ground. Vacuum lines have become brittle and shut down the windshield washers, 4wd and ac. When I tried to splice them, they crumbled in my hands. The tensioner fell off the engine and the transmission went out despite frequent fluid and filter changes. I have been loyal to GM through their diesel days and bad overdrive transmissions but I am done with them. No more GM.

Cheap but gets the job done
By Kev on 08/22/07 23:28 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This car was purchased brand new 11 years ago and since put 87000 miles on it. It has been fairly reliable throughout these mile. However, on the down side, performance and quality is on the poor side. Maintenance is a real biggy. Since it's American, fixing this car is a hassle thanks to poor design of the engine bay. The major problems that comes up are the fan and alignment issues. Frequently, my coolant tank will get dirty with grime and dirt and needs to be cleaned. Also, I noticed once I have the AC on, the car will sometimes overheat, going past the mid point of the temp gauge. This can be a result of a recall back in 1997 with the fan.

All down hill after this
By Kenny on 02/23/07 23:39 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 2dr SUV 4WD

Well when I fist got it I thought oh man im in heaven. All the power I ever wanted but not too much. A good 4X4 for being so new. But just as it built up my hope it let me down time after time. So I'm saying forget the bowties.

This Blazer is OK
By stephen on 11/28/06 13:08 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Blazer SUV LS 4dr SUV

I bought this '96 Blazer new and have found it to be very reliable. It now has 150,000 miles on it,and yes, I've had to put some money toward repairs, but overall it has been a very good vehicle and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. It still runs great and it has never made me walk. It's very comfortable and the body is holding up nicely. It's been a great car!