Used 1996 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Blazer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Still going strong!
By Gary Cram

1996 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV

I purchased this Blazer new in 1996. I now have 275,000 miles on it. I still do not burn oil and I get 25 mpg. I've had very few problems with it. Replaced the AC Compressor etc at about 125,000 miles. Replaced the heater core around the same time. Other than normal stuff like front end parts etc, I have not spent much money on this car at all. I use aftermarket beefy front end parts. One persistent problem is an oil leak. I've replaced the rear main seal twice and it never seems to fix it. It's a very small leak and more of a nuisance than anything else. I've had the 4.3L engine in an Astro Van too and it ran forever. I might keep this thing forever just to see how far it goes.

Sturdy, rides firm and solid (no floating) Love the 4.3L engine. Cloth interior is rugged and hardly worn. I have zero worn spots.

275,000 miles and still running strong.
By hyonlyph

1996 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV

I've had my Blazer since it was new in 1996. First, the standard mileage charts are way low. In my experience, my car got 25 mpg highway from the first day. And it still gets that same mpg. With the exception of repairing the AC at about 125K and the stereo at 200K, all I've ever done to this car is change the oil and do basic maintenance. Obviously eventually you have to do a little front end work. Parts wear out. It can still pull a UHaul trailer full of stuff. It's not pretty, I've never been able to garage the car. Paint fine, Interior still looks great with no holes etc. At this point, the dash is cracking a bit. But overall, it's the most dependable car I've ever owned.

Suspension very reliable. AC very cold. Back seats lay flat so I can haul anything including the big dog who can stand behind me (with her seatbelt fastened). Seats and carpets are very sturdy and clean up great. Power everything still works. The overall design is perfect for me. Height is just right, power is enough. I've been very blessed with all of my cars (I'm 60+) but this one is super-blessed.

Almost nothing. Could use a bit more power maybe but honestly when I step on the gas it gets me out of any predicament I've been in.

A rough life Blazer gets a second chance.
By chevyvortecs

1996 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a Black Chevrolet Blazer LT 4x4 that has been in my family for as is old. I'm the third person to hold it, and its had a rough life before I held it. It went from being hardly used sitting half its life, to being used rough and not being taken care of, as a result it blew a motor and was expensive to get replaced. Since its been with me its been a neat project car and daily driver. The physical condition is excellent, and the new motor has been plenty reliable, with a few ticks every now and then in the cold. Probably some piston slap. Note the second engine in it is used w/ 100k+ miles. With minor additions to the engine I've done, runs and drives like new. It's a great car for me.

The 4 wheel drive is great to have. Very powerful. Rides well. Big cargo in a small package. Hands down fun SUV to drive. Reliablility is fair - good, just take care of it for a confident experience. Good looking exterior appearance. Transmission shifts smooth. Great highway passing power. Overall, solid car. Just be sure you get the right one.

Cheap interior. Questionable reliablity of chevrolet's 4.3 liter V6 engines overall.

i love my blazer 96
By blazer2979

1996 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV

i bought my blazer 4 days ago for 600 bucks i mean it pretty beat up but it still runs great for a 96 it has 140k miles and it has never had any real major stuff fix. i could brake down tomorrow and i could scrap it to get my money back. i love the power and suspension it takes turns great the oil in it hasn't been change in the last 7k miles so im going to flush that out. it starts on the turn of the key its an amazing car and i love it. i gets great gas milage for a suv too

great gas milage for a suv

a/c and the power seats

you think u wouldent like it but u do
By chevyfan101

1996 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr SUV 4WD

first of all the blazers is a well built truck that may not have the best colors and interior biuld but they are fully built trucks. they at first might look bad but in the long run they are really dependeble.there one of those trucks ghat don't really feel and sound like a truck but they can take the biggest weather conditions and enviroments of any kind and still this trick will push out to its Max power to keep you safe i have had two and the first was a 96 as is my current and it saved my family's life after getting hit by a huge semi and we were able to drive away and the blazed is a truck you can depend on year round. and i would prefer this than broncos 100% ive had both

interior and body

offroading supplys like higher profile tires and a slight lift and a bull bar