The Good Cheap Car With Problems
By Bobbyz26420 on
1996 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 2dr Coupe
I owned my 1996 Beretta Z26 model for about 7 months. It was a great car, real sharp and it raced decently, (once beating a 2000 Camaro). She ran beautifully for the first three months, but after that I started having oil pressure problems. I ended up having to replace the radiator, ignition switch, engine timing chain set, water pump, belt tensioner, and an oil sending unit, totaling out to a whopping 1350 just for parts, not including labor. I finally decided to give up on her when the engine bearings and rods ended up wearing out to where the engine needed replacing, and the transmission was already slipping and a belt was rubbing off in the transmission oil. Great car, doesn't last long.
Favorite Features
The look, gas mileage (if emissions system works properly), and overall reliability, will work until it overheats, or the engine seizes up.
Suggested Improvements
Nothing, cheap parts for the purpose of regular driving, replacing a few things includes replacing the rest. Throwaway car if problems with oil pressure start, get rid of it immediately to get what you can for it.