1996 Chevrolet Beretta Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Beretta model:
I miss my Beretta!
By Andielion on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Beretta Coupe 2dr Coupe

I had my Beretta as a first car for about 8 years until it was just recently totaled. It was an incredibly smooth ride and had very little maintenance issues. It leaked water into the car the whole time I had it, but that did not matter because it's reliability easily canceled out that minor problem. I would suggest a Chevy Beretta to anyone!

The Good Cheap Car With Problems
By Bobbyz26420 on 04/02/10 11:36 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Beretta Coupe Z26 2dr Coupe

I owned my 1996 Beretta Z26 model for about 7 months. It was a great car, real sharp and it raced decently, (once beating a 2000 Camaro). She ran beautifully for the first three months, but after that I started having oil pressure problems. I ended up having to replace the radiator, ignition switch, engine timing chain set, water pump, belt tensioner, and an oil sending unit, totaling out to a whopping 1350 just for parts, not including labor. I finally decided to give up on her when the engine bearings and rods ended up wearing out to where the engine needed replacing, and the transmission was already slipping and a belt was rubbing off in the transmission oil. Great car, doesn't last long.

Great Car!
By Jardaz on 01/31/09 06:29 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Beretta Coupe 2dr Coupe

Awesome car. I have had mine for 3 years. I haven't had any huge problems just the basic maintenance. The car has gone from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia to the outskirts of NYC more times than I can remember. Gas mileage is good and a very dependable car. I wish Chevy still made them. If you come across one and you're looking for a used car, consider it. It's the best car I have ever owned

96' Z26
By Chevymuscle218 on 12/15/08 16:37 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Beretta Coupe Z26 2dr Coupe

I bought this Z26 off my brother and have owned it for about 6 months now. The car currently has 220,000 + miles and it runs great. Never burns oil. Steering is getting stiff. The cup holders in the car are not that great. There is no room in the back seats when there is two people up front. You have to have the seat (for me) all the way back so you have some decent leg room, problem is it takes away from the rear passenger space. The 3.1 motor seems to be very reliable athough blown head gaskets seem to be a common problem with them I have yet had this problem. Even though its a Z- 26 I beleive the car has a sporty apperance, but is far from a sporty car and acceleration is not the greatest.

Very Strong Running Car
By 1996Berettaguy90 on 08/26/08 23:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Beretta Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for 3+ years now, and it is running strong. Has the typical engine knock that all 3100 SFI V6's make, most of them come like that from the factory. This car has made it through 3 minnesota winters, and has come with minor repairs done, mainly to the cooling system. Have gone through an alternator, that is a typical repair in 3100's. This car is constantly put under torture due to my lead-foot driving, and it still runs great. Bought this with 167,000 miles about 4 years ago, and $850 for a car that lasts for 20,000 miles and still runs great is definitely worth it. Perfect first car. Low maintenance costs. I plan to drive this car until it gives up, then rebuild it.

148K and still going!
By Joel on 05/29/08 14:21 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Beretta Coupe Z26 2dr Coupe

My Z26 has 148K miles on it and it keeps going. She has every options available. I bought my Beretta from my son for $600 with 140K on it. He bought for $450 and changed the upper intake gasket. We changed the water pump before I started driving it. I keep an eye on the coolant level still because it still leaks. I drive it 60 miles one way for work. I have been averaging 30MPG with mostly hwy driving. This car is quick, reliable, and is giving me great MPG's. Gas is at $4.10 a gal in IL now and you can't beat getting that kind of gas mileage out of a sporty and well appointed car. I will drive her to the ground.

SWZ26's review
By SWZ26 on 09/05/07 15:05 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Beretta Coupe Z26 2dr Coupe

Excellent car! And I have owned 4 in the past. Now I own a 1996 Z26 and it is beautiful car. I recently lost my 2002 Chevy Cavalier in a accident and it was a total lost. This car rides so smooth and the seats are so comfortable. I would recommend this car to anyone. It is a well made car and stands the test of time.

96 Chevy Beretta
By Rev Mackey on 08/16/07 08:03 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Beretta Coupe 2dr Coupe

Overall a great car for dependability. I have had repeated problems with the brakes (three times to Midas for front and back) and it took a little time to get used to front wheel drive. Not a good car for winter driving.

First Car
By Franklin on 08/13/06 21:28 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Beretta Coupe 2dr Coupe

This was my first car in 2001 and it still is my only car. I wrecked it once (my fault), but I got it repaired and I have never had a problem other than normal wear. I live in a small town of 8,500 and most older cars (not classics) are the Caviler, the Corsica and the Beretta. Practically everyone who has ever owned one of those three say that they won't die. I don't want to ever get rid of my Beretta.

Stressed
By jan on 07/11/06 20:31 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Beretta Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car was awful. Problems with the headlights. The alternator went out three times while I had it. The ABS system, continued to have problems squeaking, and grabbing. The road noise so bad, I was glad when I reached my destination just for the silence. Issues, issues, issues. I was so very stressed waiting for that moment I knew was coming, she died in an intersection, with me by her side, glad she's gone