Used 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

not bad for a subcompact
By BigRed614

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my suv durring cash for clunkers. I looked around a bit, then I went in to my local chevy dealer and asked for the cheapest car on the lot. They gave me the "09 aveo manual hatchback. I have about 4-5 thousand miles on it so far, and this car is great. Gas mileage is great, about 25 city and 38-40 highway. The engine is what you expect, little car little engine, but it does the job, and will get over 100 mph (I tested that the 1st night I had it). Interior is pretty good, a little sparse, but comfy. The roof is high so even my tall friends will fit. Only issue I have w/ it is that all the windows have a tendency to fog up, even w/ the defrost on. But for under $200 a month, GREAT!

Favorite Features

fuel economy, high roof so i won't hit my head, sound system, sunglass holder on the driver side

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine, better cup holders in the rear, better heating/cooling system

Fire Hazard
By Not Happy

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was getting ready to get on I-5 and my car died. Coasted to the side of the road and hit the ON Star. They said a tow truck was on its way (30 minutes). A state trooper stopped and told me to stay in the car but also said he smelled gasoline. I told him I had been trying to start it again but "no go". When the tow driver showed up was told that the car was leaking gas. When it got to the dealership on the truck, the gas went everywhere. Attendant told me I could have been killed. Broken fuel rail. The dealer was notified and all he could say was"was there an impact" no apology - but will give us one (1) free oil change- not bad for almost being killed. GM customer service - zero!!

Favorite Features

I like the color

Suggested Improvements

Decent customer service - also OnStar never did acknowledge the fuel rail problem.

So far So good
By Jonathon Peterson

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We hesitated to purchase a new vehicle since 1981 due to the huge drop in value. The Aveo is a replacement for an ageing Subaru Justy being towed by our motor home. First we were very surprised that the Aveo was not designed to be towed with drive wheels on the ground. A tow dolly fixed the problem. The economy is right on the numbers with our 5 speed manual and keeping the speed under 60 mph. At 75-80 we still average near 30 mpg. Learn to drive the RPMs not the economy marks on the dash and you get reasonable power. Handling is better than our old Metro, not as quick as the old Subaru, not near as fun (but a much better car) than our 1972 Honda 600. So far, good value for the money

Favorite Features

Interior room and most of all the Price. All in all, great value for the money. I like a 5 speed transmission.

Suggested Improvements

I see the plan is for better fender flares, and the lowpro tires would help. I miss a latch lock on the hatch back interior.

AVEO NOT USA MADE LIKE I WAS TOLD
By LEON

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 2LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Wanted to buy American to stimulate economy. Salesman agreed showed me the gas economical Aveo. After esearching and buying found is MADE IN SOUTH KOREA! No where in the reviews or paper workI read did it say Korean made. When hit slight bump or rut in road, hear popping noise at suspecsion area. Also when turn sharp. Gas mileage: 32- 34 best after 6 mos.Interior: design is fair but cheap plastic. Back fold down seats rattle when up normal. Body quality poor at best. All ready bumper peeling by trunk. For the price, buy Toyota. They tell truth.

Favorite Features

Seats, ride.

Suggested Improvements

Bumper quality needs not to peel in 8 months. Investigate why front end pops when hit bump or turn sharply. Dealer didn't find anything. Put "Hold" transmission button somewhere else. Check why fold down seats rattle when in up right position. Better metal-too thin.

Good little car
By AveoOwner

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned this car since August (?) 2009 (we used cash for clunkers) and it was either this or an accent, glad we got this. We (luckily.. almost didn't.) got the manual. I have never driven an auto aveo, but I doubt it would be very much fun. The manual makes it a fairly quick little car, I beat a cobalt ss going UP a hill in a race :) Only problem I have is that I don't think I am getting 30mpg, maybe more like 25, however, I do drive a bit enthusiastically. The upgraded radio is a fairly good radio for being factory, people don't believe it's factory.

Favorite Features

Radio, manual transmission