2009 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
You get what you pay for...
By darren on 01/30/10 16:51 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about a year and I do highway commuting. I have already put 50000km on the car, 90% of which are highway. I am not a hard driver. I get up to speed set the curse and go. All the maintenance has been done by certified GM techs. In 50000km... I have have a knocking sound in my steering when I turn right. My transmission is slipping in and out of fourth. The HOLD mode turns on randomly The car randomly down shifts The seals around the door leak I have had time where the car will not start The radio always reset itself The rear wiper was not receive fluid The check engine light came on because it detected a issue with an O2 sensor..

Good car, depending on your expectations
By Thymeclock on 01/26/10 12:27 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The Aveo seemed far more comfortable and easier to drive than competitors. My wife LOVES the car! It's cute and it's fun to drive. There appears to be more negative bias toward this car than deserved. Test drive one and compare it to the Yaris, Fit, Rio, etc. for yourself. You may not need or want certain features others may offer. This was the right car for us, considering what we expect from it.

Great for under 12500!
By My favorite! on 01/09/10 20:25 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 2LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Well I've had it for 5 months now and it has been a little champ! Of course its a little slow (I have the auto) but I get 26 city and about 33 highway. Its a nicely built car, I've had no rattles or problems like others have said. I have every feature except the leatherette seats. The only fault I really have with it is that I feel it could be either sportier with some engine tuning (maybe even raise mpgs?) but everything is good. I wish they would give the car a little more something with the styling outside ( I don't like the headlights on the aveo5). I would recommend this car to anyone on a budget!

Nice car, depending on your expectations
By BarkyDog on 01/07/10 15:04 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The Aveo seemed far more comfortable and easier to drive than competitors. I bought the Aveo for my wife for her local commuting to work without her having seen it or driven it beforehand. She absolutely LOVES the car! It's cute and it's fun to drive. Don't judge the Aveo by what the (usually negative) "experts" reviews alone say. There appears to be more negative bias toward this car than deserved. Test drive one and compare it to the Yaris, Fit, Rio, etc. for yourself. You may not need or want certain features others may offer. This was the right car for us, considering what we expect from it. We got it for less than the dealer invoice price, plus an additional $2000 off.

Should not have gotten
By Pete on 01/03/10 14:44 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The car is terrible in the wind at highway speeds and even worse in the snow. Ride is very noisy. I wish they had offered a buy back within 60 days of when I bought.

Great Car AVEO 5
By Bill on 12/22/09 09:45 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem I have with this car is some of sensors blink on when it gets really cold. Otherwise I would suggest this ride for anyone. Much roomier than what it looks like from the outside. Thanks Chevy for putting out a great car.

How about the truth
By Ash on 11/16/09 20:22 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had been searching for a vehicle for months now. I wanted something not too expensive and won't will get me from A to B. I found the nicest fire red 4 door hatchback (5 door). Automatic and fully loaded! It was fantastic. However, bad news. You feel absolutely everything in the vehicle. It isn't as reliable as they make it seem. I have had to return my car three times now. I am going for the forth. I will probably bring back my car before the 60 day guarantee as I have had the worse luck with the car. I am extremely upset, because it isn't what was expected. If you get the car at a good deal and don't mind it being slow and feeling all. Go for it! besides that look away

Love my 2009 Chevy Aveo LS 4 door 1.6 L
By Missouri Man on 10/31/09 10:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Get 33 mpg plus in city traffic and 40-46 mpg plus driving highway in Missouri Ozark Mountains on interstate or two lane or city traffic. Great deal for the price on a subcompact of $10,600 brand new 2009. Excellent view out all directions of window, great comfort and leg/head room. Quiet, no road noise or engine noise. Easy to steer and operate, handles well, rides smooth, lots of trunk space, good stereo with plug in for Ipod or MP3 player, Onstar features! I cannot say enough good about this car, for the price and after shopping for over a year driving and looking at all over subcompacts, this is the best deal going by far! Love driving it, AC works wonderful, and can haul 4 people!

Good Commuter Car
By Bubba on 10/18/09 12:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I did the Cash For Clunkers deal. I needed a good commuter car since I drive a minimum of 700 miles a week. All you Jerseyites will understand. So far the car has been performing exactly as I wanted. 35 to 36 mpg in mixed driving mostly through the Pine Barrens. I have the auto with cruise control and they are the two items I must have. Comfort is fine. On Star is great so I don't need a cell phone if I break down in the pines or when I hit a deer again. Also got the 5 door which I highly recommend. This car is about utility and the 5 door is the way to go. Get me to work and home, load stuff in when I need to. I bought the car for cheap, reliable transportation. Grade: A+.

Hoping for the Best
By $4,300 for 2009 Aveo on 10/15/09 17:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Aveo as part of the Cash for Clunkers program after all rebates my price $4,300. Did not need car as had purchased 2008 Civic Hybrid prior year. I have enjoyed the car and believe it is good for my teenagers to experience the manual door locks and manual windows. It has a comfortable riding position and I like the interior. I recently changed my oil and was surprised with canister oil filter and torx socket for drain plug.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo in VA is:

$133 per month*