2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
Aveo, what a mistake.
By roadkilled680 on 07/16/10 13:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Where do I start? There's so much wrong. It started with the accelerator being wired backwards. When you step down on the gas it stops when you let up it goes. The engine sputters on acceleration. The trans grinds into 2nd gear. Gas mileage very poor 30 highway at best with 5 spd. Now the other day the engine just died and I couldn't get it going again. Bought brand new 09 gm will not accept any responsibility

Chevy let me down again.
By Becky on 05/09/10 16:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Radio can’t have duplicate stations or it will get stuck in a “loop” not allowing you to listen to your other preset stations. Mileage has never gone over 25 mpg. NOT power door locks. This is a crock! Keyless key is touchy & alarm goes off. Rear window locks at half way down. There should be an optional override feature to allow windows to go all the way down. Cup holders are a joke and poorly made. They won’t open when its cold and they’re flimsy. After month old and dashboard, and back hatch rattles. Crappy windshield jets. Sprays stream vs., mist/spray. Low tire warning STAYS on even when over filled. Driver side window needed adjusting twice after 1 month, makes popping sound.

great value for little car.
By tnt on 04/22/10 11:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 2LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

When my wife first got it i called it a clown car becouse its looks so small, but its peppy and fun to drive. way more comfortable than you would think and the back seats are more comfortable than the other baby cars on the market. we tested most of them,exept the ford dont know why.could get better milage. bring back the geo metro.

Nice little car
By rallen on 04/13/10 18:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I drive 115 miles round trip to work every day. I bought this car for the economy and because of the deal on it. I average 36 mpg. At 70 mph. The interior is very nice (LT). No rattles. Radio is very good. Changing the oil is easy once you get a 45 star bit and a 24meter socket for the filter. All in all a nice little car.

GAVE IT UP AFTER 10 MOS.
By LEON on 03/09/10 00:31 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 2LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

After 10 mos and more rattles than my old 99 Chevy. I decided when the front end began to squeek and rattle when going over light dip and bump, I knew then with all the other rattle with the back seats and rear tire storage tire area, this vehicle wasn't going to be the car for me. Also the power wasn't the best even going up a incline such as a raised bridge incline and definately was not meant to mountain travel as I found out twice. Overall it's a South Korean made economy car, good gas mileage for flat road travel, cramped inside spacing, and the cup holder well, what were they thinking?. Tired of wind up cars and poor workmanship.

not bad for a subcompact
By BigRed614 on 03/03/10 06:31 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my suv durring cash for clunkers. I looked around a bit, then I went in to my local chevy dealer and asked for the cheapest car on the lot. They gave me the "09 aveo manual hatchback. I have about 4-5 thousand miles on it so far, and this car is great. Gas mileage is great, about 25 city and 38-40 highway. The engine is what you expect, little car little engine, but it does the job, and will get over 100 mph (I tested that the 1st night I had it). Interior is pretty good, a little sparse, but comfy. The roof is high so even my tall friends will fit. Only issue I have w/ it is that all the windows have a tendency to fog up, even w/ the defrost on. But for under $200 a month, GREAT!

Fire Hazard
By Not Happy on 02/24/10 15:59 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was getting ready to get on I-5 and my car died. Coasted to the side of the road and hit the ON Star. They said a tow truck was on its way (30 minutes). A state trooper stopped and told me to stay in the car but also said he smelled gasoline. I told him I had been trying to start it again but "no go". When the tow driver showed up was told that the car was leaking gas. When it got to the dealership on the truck, the gas went everywhere. Attendant told me I could have been killed. Broken fuel rail. The dealer was notified and all he could say was"was there an impact" no apology - but will give us one (1) free oil change- not bad for almost being killed. GM customer service - zero!!

So far So good
By Jonathon Peterson on 02/24/10 08:17 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We hesitated to purchase a new vehicle since 1981 due to the huge drop in value. The Aveo is a replacement for an ageing Subaru Justy being towed by our motor home. First we were very surprised that the Aveo was not designed to be towed with drive wheels on the ground. A tow dolly fixed the problem. The economy is right on the numbers with our 5 speed manual and keeping the speed under 60 mph. At 75-80 we still average near 30 mpg. Learn to drive the RPMs not the economy marks on the dash and you get reasonable power. Handling is better than our old Metro, not as quick as the old Subaru, not near as fun (but a much better car) than our 1972 Honda 600. So far, good value for the money

AVEO NOT USA MADE LIKE I WAS TOLD
By LEON on 02/21/10 09:49 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 2LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Wanted to buy American to stimulate economy. Salesman agreed showed me the gas economical Aveo. After esearching and buying found is MADE IN SOUTH KOREA! No where in the reviews or paper workI read did it say Korean made. When hit slight bump or rut in road, hear popping noise at suspecsion area. Also when turn sharp. Gas mileage: 32- 34 best after 6 mos.Interior: design is fair but cheap plastic. Back fold down seats rattle when up normal. Body quality poor at best. All ready bumper peeling by trunk. For the price, buy Toyota. They tell truth.

You get what you pay for...
By darren on 01/30/10 16:51 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about a year and I do highway commuting. I have already put 50000km on the car, 90% of which are highway. I am not a hard driver. I get up to speed set the curse and go. All the maintenance has been done by certified GM techs. In 50000km... I have have a knocking sound in my steering when I turn right. My transmission is slipping in and out of fourth. The HOLD mode turns on randomly The car randomly down shifts The seals around the door leak I have had time where the car will not start The radio always reset itself The rear wiper was not receive fluid The check engine light came on because it detected a issue with an O2 sensor..

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback in VA is:

$133 per month*