Used 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

buy a bike. it will save you gas, money, and your life...
By xoamandapanda

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had been driving a 1997 Ford Taurus which randomly broke down on the road and I needed something safer than that, so we bought this car. Last night, I was in a horrendous car accident. The entire front of my car was taken off even at 7 mph (an Acura MDX slammed into me- not my fault). I was not hurt and neither was my passenger. My airbags did not deploy and Onstar never called. I called to complain to Chevy and all they could do was say I wasn't hit in the right spot for the air bags to deploy. The pick up is garbage and I am often beeped at for not being able to accelerate. I also get about 16-18 mpg city. I use a gallon of gas each day going 20 miles. I will NEVER buy another Chevy.

I can fit into small parking spaces.

This car needs a serious amount of work, and from what I have seen with the Sonic, the Sonic is no better. It needs better pick up (the Sonic offers 138 horsepower- that's a joke for a 'turbocharged' car especially when the Aveo only has 107), air bags that actually work, and cup holders in a place where I can actually insert a cup.

Many Problems with my car
By kathrynm

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Car broke down every day for three months. I was taking bus because my new car stalled five-six times every hour...on freeways and bridges, all the time.
Finally, problem: Oxygen Sensor. Month 2: Windshield cracked bottom to top. Month three: Sway bar kept creaking like a 40 year old clunker.
They have re-greased it four times and I still get the same story.just needs grease (every three-four weeks).
Rear passenger windows don't roll up...inside is now wet and moldy.
Driver floor mat keeps getting caught in clutch pedal. Stereo stopped working. Interior light does not work.
Ignition problem.
Takes four to five tries...four bent keys...have to twist steering wheel and wiggle.
I am sad.

It is a peppy little car and I loved it when I bought it. Unfortunately, I am no longer in love with it.

There is so many problems with this car I almost wish they'd recall it it.

AVOID! ANY OTHER CAR WOULD BE BETTER!
By aveosucks

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 2LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Good: Cute and has onstar and XM.

Bad: Having the Aveo5 for not even 2 years, if I added up all the repairs (warranty or not) they would exceed the cost of the car. Cheap if you can't afford ANY other subcompact but built only to drive to the store and back. Car was in for repairs within 48 hours of purchase.

Suggestion: buy a LENGTHY and comprehensive warranty, you'll need it!

OnStar and XM radio, more costs into this car. 0% interest for 72 months. Great AC in Florida!

Even though it costs more, look at a Honda Fit. The costs I've put into repairs would make the monthly payment on a Fit cheaper! Aveo is made of poor quality and backed by dealerships and GM who will not admit there are HUGE problems with this car (see the Forum on the Aveo for the tons of issues). Improvements would be to listen to the owners and hire more supervisors at GM customer service (as there are never any around...)

piece of junk
By martin71

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2009, I use to but toyota, but I thought I'd give them a chance. It was the biggest mistake I have ever done. Right now I am under the lemon law. Engine keeps missfiring. just had worked on again, Chevy said that they would compensate me for my problems, but when I asked the to give me a 2 year extended warrenty. They said no the best they could is give me is free maintence for a year. Wow free oil changes. Way to go Chevy, thats how you take care off your customers. Once this car is paid off, I will dump it fast. Will be going back to Toyota.

None

Don't get a Chevy

Disappointing but...
By ScootsG8

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 2LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Aveo5LT in August of '09 after getting a job an hour from home. I drive rural highways nearly all the way. A 15mph wind makes it unnerving and a 25 mph wind makes it downright scary. Being in MN, it's difficult to get around in snow with the small tires and short clearance. I'm averaging 31 mpg on the highway and that's not enough. It's loud, not really well-built and to be honest, it's easy to imagine heavy damage meeting anything larger than a mailbox, should you get in an accident. The oil filters are spendy. Suzuki builds the for Chevrolet. The only saving grace of the Aveo is the room. I'm 6'3" and have no issues with headroom in the car. Value is so-so.

Headroom. Good visibility.

Lighten the internal parts of the engine to develop some quicker power. Quiet it down. Have Holden build it instead of Suzuki.