Used 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 1LT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Aveo Manual shift
By powen1

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

You must have a dealer change the oil & filter as the clutch assembly is wedged against the filter housing. It is absurd. After a year finally got a dealer tech. to admit is was a poor design from chevy & they stopped making such. However, chevy never told us about this problem or did a recall. Also the dealers now tell us that they only can change the oil as the whole clutch assembly must be dropped and the filter itself cost extra. Also there is always residual oil drops from the change and the burning smell in the engine. Our idea was to have an inexpensive & easily maintained car, which it is not, it is just cheap! We have received NO satisfaction from the dealers.

Already want to trade in after only 3 months.
By bkm89

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Three months ago I traded in my truck to find a car with better gas mileage. We found an aveo. My parents really liked it, and the dealer(my fathers cousin) also told us it was a very good car. Not the case. I have no good things to say. The gas mileage is nowhere near the expected I get no better than 25, and all my driving is highway or back roads. Not good in the snow even with studded directionals. The heater makes a ticking noise, very loud especially on highway. Radio cuts out when you turn on the rear window defrost. Whistling noise if you hit 60mph sometimes lower than that. Looks and feels cheaply made inside. Doesn't meet my expectations worst car I've owned.

Favorite Features

The only thing I like about this car was the trunk space. I moved out of my dorm and only needed one trip.

Suggested Improvements

Make parts easier to get. We had to order everything just to change the oil. Even the tires were an oddball size. To get the gas mileage that was stated. My fiances car is said to get in the upper 30s per gallon and he easily gets 40 to 42. Our cars are the same year. Guess I should have bought a toyota since an Aveo isn't even American made after all.

What a mess!!
By markg13

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Always drove Chevys, this may be my last! Going back to dealer again for same reason within 2 mnths, do I blame the dealer or the crappy car? Creaks and groans from the frame/bodywork within first week of purchase, mileage nowhere near advertised levels, rides like a covered wagon on the Oregon Trail, about as peppy as a lawn mower (and as quiet as one!); nice interior, though. Is this GM's idea of a joke? Is this how you re-build trust in a company that almost went belly-up? I realize this car came from subsidiary in S. Korea, that doesnt excuse shoddy execution/quality. Beware!!

Same problem, 4 times in 3 weeks
By sunshine

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

the acceleration is not very good however,the good fuel economy makes up for it. i have owned this car just under a year now and recently have been having problems with the car. They keep fixing it but 2 days later it breaks again. tomorrow will be the fourth time in less than three weeks that i will be taking it into the dealership. other than this, i love the car, but i guess you get what you pay for! Cheap price means cheap quality

Favorite Features

i love the Yellow color i got. and i love how despite how small it may look, the inside is very spacious and will comfortably fit everyone

Suggested Improvements

QUALITY

A bit too pricey
By Elwapo72

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Chevy Aveo for about 1 year now. I haven't had any major problems. The very first problem I had was that the Onstar wasn't working. Second problem I am still having is that at times it will not start. I usually have to wait about a minute or two then try again and it usually starts. The other thing is how hard it is to find oil filters for it. Sometimes the filters are a little pricey.

Favorite Features

Even though it is a small vehicle I like the room i have inside. I am 5'9" and weight over 250 lbs and I fit comfy especially on long trips. the gas mileage is pretty good also.

Suggested Improvements

They need to make servicing the vehicle yourself more easy. Other than that it is an ok car.