2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
Aveo Manual shift
By powen1 on 01/03/12 12:05 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

You must have a dealer change the oil & filter as the clutch assembly is wedged against the filter housing. It is absurd. After a year finally got a dealer tech. to admit is was a poor design from chevy & they stopped making such. However, chevy never told us about this problem or did a recall. Also the dealers now tell us that they only can change the oil as the whole clutch assembly must be dropped and the filter itself cost extra. Also there is always residual oil drops from the change and the burning smell in the engine. Our idea was to have an inexpensive & easily maintained car, which it is not, it is just cheap! We have received NO satisfaction from the dealers.

Already want to trade in after only 3 months.
By bkm89 on 04/02/11 16:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Three months ago I traded in my truck to find a car with better gas mileage. We found an aveo. My parents really liked it, and the dealer(my fathers cousin) also told us it was a very good car. Not the case. I have no good things to say. The gas mileage is nowhere near the expected I get no better than 25, and all my driving is highway or back roads. Not good in the snow even with studded directionals. The heater makes a ticking noise, very loud especially on highway. Radio cuts out when you turn on the rear window defrost. Whistling noise if you hit 60mph sometimes lower than that. Looks and feels cheaply made inside. Doesn't meet my expectations worst car I've owned.

What a mess!!
By markg13 on 01/04/11 09:52 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Always drove Chevys, this may be my last! Going back to dealer again for same reason within 2 mnths, do I blame the dealer or the crappy car? Creaks and groans from the frame/bodywork within first week of purchase, mileage nowhere near advertised levels, rides like a covered wagon on the Oregon Trail, about as peppy as a lawn mower (and as quiet as one!); nice interior, though. Is this GM's idea of a joke? Is this how you re-build trust in a company that almost went belly-up? I realize this car came from subsidiary in S. Korea, that doesnt excuse shoddy execution/quality. Beware!!

Same problem, 4 times in 3 weeks
By sunshine on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

the acceleration is not very good however,the good fuel economy makes up for it. i have owned this car just under a year now and recently have been having problems with the car. They keep fixing it but 2 days later it breaks again. tomorrow will be the fourth time in less than three weeks that i will be taking it into the dealership. other than this, i love the car, but i guess you get what you pay for! Cheap price means cheap quality

A bit too pricey
By Elwapo72 on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Chevy Aveo for about 1 year now. I haven't had any major problems. The very first problem I had was that the Onstar wasn't working. Second problem I am still having is that at times it will not start. I usually have to wait about a minute or two then try again and it usually starts. The other thing is how hard it is to find oil filters for it. Sometimes the filters are a little pricey.

Don't do it
By Jenn on 08/10/10 16:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car when I turned 16 as my first car. I've never hated anything more than this! Truth be told, I've wrecked it twice but in both the wrecks the air bags DIDN'T deploy and onstar didn't come on. It's extremely hard to see long distances at night and when it shifts you feel it. My dad paid $16,200 after ttl and he regret paying more than $10,000. This car is HORRIBLE

A LOT of car for the money
By Johnny on 07/29/10 09:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The Aveo is not a Mercedes --we all know that. It also costs a fraction of what a Mercedes costs, and thousands of dollars less than a similarly equipped Honda, Toyota, Kia or Nissan. Frankly, I don't see the value in spending a lot more money for Honda or Toyota badging. This car is roomy, comfortable, very reliable, cheap to operate, and has a good ride. I could not be more pleased with a car that cost me $10,999 + tax that has air conditioning, a great stereo with MP3 connectivity, and even a rear spoiler. Get one. You won't regret it.

Good little car
By AveoOwner on 02/12/10 10:08 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned this car since August (?) 2009 (we used cash for clunkers) and it was either this or an accent, glad we got this. We (luckily.. almost didn't.) got the manual. I have never driven an auto aveo, but I doubt it would be very much fun. The manual makes it a fairly quick little car, I beat a cobalt ss going UP a hill in a race :) Only problem I have is that I don't think I am getting 30mpg, maybe more like 25, however, I do drive a bit enthusiastically. The upgraded radio is a fairly good radio for being factory, people don't believe it's factory.

A lemon
By Molly on 02/09/10 03:09 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car used with 25K miles. I drove it 200 miles on the hwy and could only get my gas mileage average up to 24mpg. Disappointing. I could not get it to accelerate enough to merge with traffic. Other motorists would honk and flash their lights because the vehicle would slow down traffic. After 10 days of owning it, the check engine light came on during a snow blizzard in Minnesota and the vehicle decelerated to 5 miles per hour nearly causing a traffic accident. This all happened without warning. All of a sudden it seemed as though I was riding in a rocket ship. The engine began to die as I turned the heat on and a cracking sound was heard from the motor. I got rid of it.

Good Commuter Car
By Bubba on 10/18/09 12:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I did the Cash For Clunkers deal. I needed a good commuter car since I drive a minimum of 700 miles a week. All you Jerseyites will understand. So far the car has been performing exactly as I wanted. 35 to 36 mpg in mixed driving mostly through the Pine Barrens. I have the auto with cruise control and they are the two items I must have. Comfort is fine. On Star is great so I don't need a cell phone if I break down in the pines or when I hit a deer again. Also got the 5 door which I highly recommend. This car is about utility and the 5 door is the way to go. Get me to work and home, load stuff in when I need to. I bought the car for cheap, reliable transportation. Grade: A+.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan in VA is:

$136 per month*