Used 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Gives Cheap a whole new meaning.
By David Albee

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 2LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Aveo for going on 5 years now. I should have walked past it the moment that I ran my fingers over the grill and the black paint powder that came off on my finger was present. Now the entire reason for my purchase was that I needed a vehicle that I could drive into the dirt. I commute to work everyday and any vehicle was going to be getting aged prematurely. However, this does not excuse the wiper blades disintegrating in the second month of ownership. I understand that Korea may not have the winters that we Canadians do but wow! Anyhow, new blades on moving forward. Wait, what is that awe-full racket? It can't be the engine already... For crying out loud it sounds like the engine is trying to leap out from under the hood.... Notice in the mail, "Dear Aveo owner please proceed to your nearest Chev dealer to get your wiring replaced as the engineers have discovered an issue with the gaps of your spark plug and wiring harness." As my car is lurching and crying "No kidding there is an issue." . Okay so contact my dealer that I purchased my car from, "Sorry, we can't help you with that." "We don't have the parts to fix it right now.". Click... Wait, what? Yo Rick, I need you to put new plugs in and wiring. "Isn't that a recall? Shouldn't your dealer do that?", to which I replied. "Yes", "Yes they should." "So can you do this?" Driving my now behaving Aveo out of Rick's shop and noting the it will be a cold day in hell before I go back to the dealer. Not long later. "Hmmm, are my headlights dirty?" After looking I realized they were not dirty just one of the bulbs had burned out. No big deal, I have now replaced 3 bulbs. The creme de la creme had to be driving to work one morning and there was a little bit of snow on the road. I am Canadian and have been driving this road since 1989. No problem........ So why am I now staring at a terrified lady facing me and we are traveling in the same direction. I mean her eyes were like dinner plates. After I hit the drifted snow on the side of the road I have come to realize yet another issue with the Aveo. The rear brake has a tendency to lock. Terrifying right... I mean the freaking pad came off the shoe inside the drum...... Think about that for a second.. They are supposed to be molecular bonded to the shoe to prevent that sort of thing from happening. "Yo, Rick!!" "I need you to take a look at this rear brake, something is definitely [non-permissible content removed]!" "Umm, Dave the drum is really stuck on there." - "I know, I scared the H*** out of some lady in a SUV that was behind me, I was looking at her while i was going backward." A couple hours later... "Dave, I have never even heard of this happening." "Once i manage to get the drum off the pad was off the shoe.." Do not under any circumstance buy this vehicle, it redefines cheap and I would swear substandard parts. I honestly can not express how confused I am about how this actually made it to market. Oh and now the screws to the air filter have corroded and I will have to likely cut them and tap them to change the air filter.

Not too bad for the price
By misslil

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2009 and have put mostly highway miles on it - up to 93,300 now. Get about 33 mpg. Did really great the first 4 years except for having alignment problems. Finally got that worked out. Had problems with AC last summer..fans not blowing much air out of vents. Had to have the rear O2 sensor replaced last month and then the air intake hose this month. Biggest problem is the parts had to come from the dealer and they are outrageously expensive! Approx. $240 for each part. Just read review on another website that the air intake hose was made in 2 parts, but you must buy the whole assembly. Not cool GM. My next car probably won't be a Chevy.

Good mpg. My car has good acceleration for a small car (have read other reviews where that's a problem).

Seats are not that comfortable. Dealers charge too much for parts!

Aveo Manual shift
By powen1

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

You must have a dealer change the oil & filter as the clutch assembly is wedged against the filter housing. It is absurd. After a year finally got a dealer tech. to admit is was a poor design from chevy & they stopped making such. However, chevy never told us about this problem or did a recall. Also the dealers now tell us that they only can change the oil as the whole clutch assembly must be dropped and the filter itself cost extra. Also there is always residual oil drops from the change and the burning smell in the engine. Our idea was to have an inexpensive & easily maintained car, which it is not, it is just cheap! We have received NO satisfaction from the dealers.

Already want to trade in after only 3 months.
By bkm89

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Three months ago I traded in my truck to find a car with better gas mileage. We found an aveo. My parents really liked it, and the dealer(my fathers cousin) also told us it was a very good car. Not the case. I have no good things to say. The gas mileage is nowhere near the expected I get no better than 25, and all my driving is highway or back roads. Not good in the snow even with studded directionals. The heater makes a ticking noise, very loud especially on highway. Radio cuts out when you turn on the rear window defrost. Whistling noise if you hit 60mph sometimes lower than that. Looks and feels cheaply made inside. Doesn't meet my expectations worst car I've owned.

The only thing I like about this car was the trunk space. I moved out of my dorm and only needed one trip.

Make parts easier to get. We had to order everything just to change the oil. Even the tires were an oddball size. To get the gas mileage that was stated. My fiances car is said to get in the upper 30s per gallon and he easily gets 40 to 42. Our cars are the same year. Guess I should have bought a toyota since an Aveo isn't even American made after all.

What a mess!!
By markg13

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Always drove Chevys, this may be my last! Going back to dealer again for same reason within 2 mnths, do I blame the dealer or the crappy car? Creaks and groans from the frame/bodywork within first week of purchase, mileage nowhere near advertised levels, rides like a covered wagon on the Oregon Trail, about as peppy as a lawn mower (and as quiet as one!); nice interior, though. Is this GM's idea of a joke? Is this how you re-build trust in a company that almost went belly-up? I realize this car came from subsidiary in S. Korea, that doesnt excuse shoddy execution/quality. Beware!!