Used 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Aveo5 1LT Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Don't Waste Your Money
By porterfield_a

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the 09 Chevy Aveo5 LT is an "okay" economy vehicle. Plus side is safety, Eco-Friendly, gas mileage and some what dependable. This car would be a great car for a high school/ college student. Not a family vehicle!!! If you decided to purchase this vehicle, please get all warranties and extended warranties. Please take the car to your nearest Chevy Dealer and have all recalls changed immediately. This will save your life (trust me). There isn't much room in the vehicle and there are several problems with the A/C of the vehicle. If you live in Alaska or a cold climate, then you're good. Sucks in FL.

Favorite Features

On-Star/ XM radio/ MP3 input/ numerous V12 plug-ins/ Great on gas

Suggested Improvements

Recall the AC Compressor, Recall the Front Suspension, Recall paint job, recall electrical system or recall the vehicle in its entirety

Not bad for the money
By docsbw

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car hauls me up over a 9000 ft summit at 70 mph, granted it is singing for all its worth but it gets the job done. 32 mpg highway. Handles well. Has some cheap stuff like drink holder and hood release, gas cap and interior plastic parts. It was thousands cheaper than the stripped toyota and we have cruise, tilt power everything and on star. Overall its ok 3 out of 5. Has had some issues with front end and ate a set of tires in 20k miles. It is a inexpensive economy car, not a caddy. If I had the extra 4k I would buy the toyota but then you start getting into a lot more money higher payments etc for ECONOMY.

Favorite Features

Room enough for a 6-4 280 pounder. Gets around in traffic well.

Suggested Improvements

Well a little more power unless it sacrifices economy which it will almost for sure.

buy a bike. it will save you gas, money, and your life...
By xoamandapanda

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had been driving a 1997 Ford Taurus which randomly broke down on the road and I needed something safer than that, so we bought this car. Last night, I was in a horrendous car accident. The entire front of my car was taken off even at 7 mph (an Acura MDX slammed into me- not my fault). I was not hurt and neither was my passenger. My airbags did not deploy and Onstar never called. I called to complain to Chevy and all they could do was say I wasn't hit in the right spot for the air bags to deploy. The pick up is garbage and I am often beeped at for not being able to accelerate. I also get about 16-18 mpg city. I use a gallon of gas each day going 20 miles. I will NEVER buy another Chevy.

Favorite Features

I can fit into small parking spaces.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs a serious amount of work, and from what I have seen with the Sonic, the Sonic is no better. It needs better pick up (the Sonic offers 138 horsepower- that's a joke for a 'turbocharged' car especially when the Aveo only has 107), air bags that actually work, and cup holders in a place where I can actually insert a cup.

Not bad for the PRICE!
By Roy

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Good car for a beginner because it is small. Easy to park and handle. Under the hood isn't hard to work on. This is NOT a high $$ vehicle so no it doesn't have some of the things a pricier model has, but for the price you pay it's a pretty good car. For under $10,000, I bought this car new, I think it was worth the price.

Favorite Features

Favorites about the car, I like the looks.

Suggested Improvements

Improvement: Tire pressure light, cruise control and air conditioner did stop working for awhile.

Aveo, what a mistake.
By roadkilled680

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Where do I start? There's so much wrong. It started with the accelerator being wired backwards. When you step down on the gas it stops when you let up it goes. The engine sputters on acceleration. The trans grinds into 2nd gear. Gas mileage very poor 30 highway at best with 5 spd. Now the other day the engine just died and I couldn't get it going again. Bought brand new 09 gm will not accept any responsibility

Favorite Features

interior is nice for a pile of crap.

Suggested Improvements

start over