2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
Don't Waste Your Money
By porterfield_a on 10/07/13 20:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the 09 Chevy Aveo5 LT is an "okay" economy vehicle. Plus side is safety, Eco-Friendly, gas mileage and some what dependable. This car would be a great car for a high school/ college student. Not a family vehicle!!! If you decided to purchase this vehicle, please get all warranties and extended warranties. Please take the car to your nearest Chevy Dealer and have all recalls changed immediately. This will save your life (trust me). There isn't much room in the vehicle and there are several problems with the A/C of the vehicle. If you live in Alaska or a cold climate, then you're good. Sucks in FL.

Not bad for the money
By docsbw on 04/11/12 11:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car hauls me up over a 9000 ft summit at 70 mph, granted it is singing for all its worth but it gets the job done. 32 mpg highway. Handles well. Has some cheap stuff like drink holder and hood release, gas cap and interior plastic parts. It was thousands cheaper than the stripped toyota and we have cruise, tilt power everything and on star. Overall its ok 3 out of 5. Has had some issues with front end and ate a set of tires in 20k miles. It is a inexpensive economy car, not a caddy. If I had the extra 4k I would buy the toyota but then you start getting into a lot more money higher payments etc for ECONOMY.

buy a bike. it will save you gas, money, and your life...
By xoamandapanda on 12/16/11 16:57 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had been driving a 1997 Ford Taurus which randomly broke down on the road and I needed something safer than that, so we bought this car. Last night, I was in a horrendous car accident. The entire front of my car was taken off even at 7 mph (an Acura MDX slammed into me- not my fault). I was not hurt and neither was my passenger. My airbags did not deploy and Onstar never called. I called to complain to Chevy and all they could do was say I wasn't hit in the right spot for the air bags to deploy. The pick up is garbage and I am often beeped at for not being able to accelerate. I also get about 16-18 mpg city. I use a gallon of gas each day going 20 miles. I will NEVER buy another Chevy.

Not bad for the PRICE!
By Roy on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Good car for a beginner because it is small. Easy to park and handle. Under the hood isn't hard to work on. This is NOT a high $$ vehicle so no it doesn't have some of the things a pricier model has, but for the price you pay it's a pretty good car. For under $10,000, I bought this car new, I think it was worth the price.

Aveo, what a mistake.
By roadkilled680 on 07/16/10 13:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Where do I start? There's so much wrong. It started with the accelerator being wired backwards. When you step down on the gas it stops when you let up it goes. The engine sputters on acceleration. The trans grinds into 2nd gear. Gas mileage very poor 30 highway at best with 5 spd. Now the other day the engine just died and I couldn't get it going again. Bought brand new 09 gm will not accept any responsibility

Chevy let me down again.
By Becky on 05/09/10 16:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Radio can’t have duplicate stations or it will get stuck in a “loop” not allowing you to listen to your other preset stations. Mileage has never gone over 25 mpg. NOT power door locks. This is a crock! Keyless key is touchy & alarm goes off. Rear window locks at half way down. There should be an optional override feature to allow windows to go all the way down. Cup holders are a joke and poorly made. They won’t open when its cold and they’re flimsy. After month old and dashboard, and back hatch rattles. Crappy windshield jets. Sprays stream vs., mist/spray. Low tire warning STAYS on even when over filled. Driver side window needed adjusting twice after 1 month, makes popping sound.

Nice little car
By rallen on 04/13/10 18:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I drive 115 miles round trip to work every day. I bought this car for the economy and because of the deal on it. I average 36 mpg. At 70 mph. The interior is very nice (LT). No rattles. Radio is very good. Changing the oil is easy once you get a 45 star bit and a 24meter socket for the filter. All in all a nice little car.

Fire Hazard
By Not Happy on 02/24/10 15:59 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was getting ready to get on I-5 and my car died. Coasted to the side of the road and hit the ON Star. They said a tow truck was on its way (30 minutes). A state trooper stopped and told me to stay in the car but also said he smelled gasoline. I told him I had been trying to start it again but "no go". When the tow driver showed up was told that the car was leaking gas. When it got to the dealership on the truck, the gas went everywhere. Attendant told me I could have been killed. Broken fuel rail. The dealer was notified and all he could say was"was there an impact" no apology - but will give us one (1) free oil change- not bad for almost being killed. GM customer service - zero!!

You get what you pay for...
By darren on 01/30/10 16:51 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for about a year and I do highway commuting. I have already put 50000km on the car, 90% of which are highway. I am not a hard driver. I get up to speed set the curse and go. All the maintenance has been done by certified GM techs. In 50000km... I have have a knocking sound in my steering when I turn right. My transmission is slipping in and out of fourth. The HOLD mode turns on randomly The car randomly down shifts The seals around the door leak I have had time where the car will not start The radio always reset itself The rear wiper was not receive fluid The check engine light came on because it detected a issue with an O2 sensor..

Good car, depending on your expectations
By Thymeclock on 01/26/10 12:27 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The Aveo seemed far more comfortable and easier to drive than competitors. My wife LOVES the car! It's cute and it's fun to drive. There appears to be more negative bias toward this car than deserved. Test drive one and compare it to the Yaris, Fit, Rio, etc. for yourself. You may not need or want certain features others may offer. This was the right car for us, considering what we expect from it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback in VA is:

$138 per month*