Used 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Least reliable I've ever owned
By bandit96

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2009, knowing full well that I was making a trade off on some of the bells and whistles offered in other models. That's not an issue; if it wasn't for it being an unreliable and expensive piece of junk to run I would still be driving it. I have a mechanical background, and know about driving and maintaining a car to make it last. Unfortunately, in the six years of ownership and only 70k kilometers (43k miles) this heap was in and out of the shop at least a dozen times. The last year of ownership, when it was out of warranty cost me more in repairs then my last GM vehicle did in 10 years and over 350k kms (210k miles). In short, never again a GM for me.

Favorite Features

It was the simple machine I wanted. I liked the look, and the feel of it.

Suggested Improvements

Let GM go bankrupt for real this time. If this is the dreck they bring to market and sell to people they deserve to fail. Chevy was once the best car a working man could buy. Those days are now a distant memory.

Don't Waste Your Money
By porterfield_a

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the 09 Chevy Aveo5 LT is an "okay" economy vehicle. Plus side is safety, Eco-Friendly, gas mileage and some what dependable. This car would be a great car for a high school/ college student. Not a family vehicle!!! If you decided to purchase this vehicle, please get all warranties and extended warranties. Please take the car to your nearest Chevy Dealer and have all recalls changed immediately. This will save your life (trust me). There isn't much room in the vehicle and there are several problems with the A/C of the vehicle. If you live in Alaska or a cold climate, then you're good. Sucks in FL.

Favorite Features

On-Star/ XM radio/ MP3 input/ numerous V12 plug-ins/ Great on gas

Suggested Improvements

Recall the AC Compressor, Recall the Front Suspension, Recall paint job, recall electrical system or recall the vehicle in its entirety

do NOT buy
By millerk06

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare since day 1. I have had my tire pressure light looked at over 5 times and it's still not fixed. Going on the interstate is terrible, the air fades out and starts blowing hot and the dealer "doesn't know why". The key hole in the driver's side door has fallen through and is stuck in the door. Its not a quality Chevy, the plant for Daewoo was purchased by Chevy and this is the result - a Korean piece of crap. Read reviews and research before purchasing.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

recall it!

Not bad for the money
By docsbw

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car hauls me up over a 9000 ft summit at 70 mph, granted it is singing for all its worth but it gets the job done. 32 mpg highway. Handles well. Has some cheap stuff like drink holder and hood release, gas cap and interior plastic parts. It was thousands cheaper than the stripped toyota and we have cruise, tilt power everything and on star. Overall its ok 3 out of 5. Has had some issues with front end and ate a set of tires in 20k miles. It is a inexpensive economy car, not a caddy. If I had the extra 4k I would buy the toyota but then you start getting into a lot more money higher payments etc for ECONOMY.

Favorite Features

Room enough for a 6-4 280 pounder. Gets around in traffic well.

Suggested Improvements

Well a little more power unless it sacrifices economy which it will almost for sure.

buy a bike. it will save you gas, money, and your life...
By xoamandapanda

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had been driving a 1997 Ford Taurus which randomly broke down on the road and I needed something safer than that, so we bought this car. Last night, I was in a horrendous car accident. The entire front of my car was taken off even at 7 mph (an Acura MDX slammed into me- not my fault). I was not hurt and neither was my passenger. My airbags did not deploy and Onstar never called. I called to complain to Chevy and all they could do was say I wasn't hit in the right spot for the air bags to deploy. The pick up is garbage and I am often beeped at for not being able to accelerate. I also get about 16-18 mpg city. I use a gallon of gas each day going 20 miles. I will NEVER buy another Chevy.

Favorite Features

I can fit into small parking spaces.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs a serious amount of work, and from what I have seen with the Sonic, the Sonic is no better. It needs better pick up (the Sonic offers 138 horsepower- that's a joke for a 'turbocharged' car especially when the Aveo only has 107), air bags that actually work, and cup holders in a place where I can actually insert a cup.