2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
Don't Waste Your Money
By porterfield_a on 10/07/13 20:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the 09 Chevy Aveo5 LT is an "okay" economy vehicle. Plus side is safety, Eco-Friendly, gas mileage and some what dependable. This car would be a great car for a high school/ college student. Not a family vehicle!!! If you decided to purchase this vehicle, please get all warranties and extended warranties. Please take the car to your nearest Chevy Dealer and have all recalls changed immediately. This will save your life (trust me). There isn't much room in the vehicle and there are several problems with the A/C of the vehicle. If you live in Alaska or a cold climate, then you're good. Sucks in FL.

do NOT buy
By millerk06 on 07/17/12 13:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare since day 1. I have had my tire pressure light looked at over 5 times and it's still not fixed. Going on the interstate is terrible, the air fades out and starts blowing hot and the dealer "doesn't know why". The key hole in the driver's side door has fallen through and is stuck in the door. Its not a quality Chevy, the plant for Daewoo was purchased by Chevy and this is the result - a Korean piece of crap. Read reviews and research before purchasing.

Not bad for the money
By docsbw on 04/11/12 11:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car hauls me up over a 9000 ft summit at 70 mph, granted it is singing for all its worth but it gets the job done. 32 mpg highway. Handles well. Has some cheap stuff like drink holder and hood release, gas cap and interior plastic parts. It was thousands cheaper than the stripped toyota and we have cruise, tilt power everything and on star. Overall its ok 3 out of 5. Has had some issues with front end and ate a set of tires in 20k miles. It is a inexpensive economy car, not a caddy. If I had the extra 4k I would buy the toyota but then you start getting into a lot more money higher payments etc for ECONOMY.

buy a bike. it will save you gas, money, and your life...
By xoamandapanda on 12/16/11 16:57 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had been driving a 1997 Ford Taurus which randomly broke down on the road and I needed something safer than that, so we bought this car. Last night, I was in a horrendous car accident. The entire front of my car was taken off even at 7 mph (an Acura MDX slammed into me- not my fault). I was not hurt and neither was my passenger. My airbags did not deploy and Onstar never called. I called to complain to Chevy and all they could do was say I wasn't hit in the right spot for the air bags to deploy. The pick up is garbage and I am often beeped at for not being able to accelerate. I also get about 16-18 mpg city. I use a gallon of gas each day going 20 miles. I will NEVER buy another Chevy.

Many Problems with my car
By kathrynm on 10/04/11 15:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Car broke down every day for three months. I was taking bus because my new car stalled five-six times every hour...on freeways and bridges, all the time. Finally, problem: Oxygen Sensor. Month 2: Windshield cracked bottom to top. Month three: Sway bar kept creaking like a 40 year old clunker. They have re-greased it four times and I still get the same story.just needs grease (every three-four weeks). Rear passenger windows don't roll up...inside is now wet and moldy. Driver floor mat keeps getting caught in clutch pedal. Stereo stopped working. Interior light does not work. Ignition problem. Takes four to five tries...four bent keys...have to twist steering wheel and wiggle. I am sad.

AVOID! ANY OTHER CAR WOULD BE BETTER!
By aveosucks on 09/26/11 10:01 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 2LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Good: Cute and has onstar and XM. Bad: Having the Aveo5 for not even 2 years, if I added up all the repairs (warranty or not) they would exceed the cost of the car. Cheap if you can't afford ANY other subcompact but built only to drive to the store and back. Car was in for repairs within 48 hours of purchase. Suggestion: buy a LENGTHY and comprehensive warranty, you'll need it!

piece of junk
By martin71 on 07/30/11 18:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2009, I use to but toyota, but I thought I'd give them a chance. It was the biggest mistake I have ever done. Right now I am under the lemon law. Engine keeps missfiring. just had worked on again, Chevy said that they would compensate me for my problems, but when I asked the to give me a 2 year extended warrenty. They said no the best they could is give me is free maintence for a year. Wow free oil changes. Way to go Chevy, thats how you take care off your customers. Once this car is paid off, I will dump it fast. Will be going back to Toyota.

Disappointing but...
By ScootsG8 on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 2LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Aveo5LT in August of '09 after getting a job an hour from home. I drive rural highways nearly all the way. A 15mph wind makes it unnerving and a 25 mph wind makes it downright scary. Being in MN, it's difficult to get around in snow with the small tires and short clearance. I'm averaging 31 mpg on the highway and that's not enough. It's loud, not really well-built and to be honest, it's easy to imagine heavy damage meeting anything larger than a mailbox, should you get in an accident. The oil filters are spendy. Suzuki builds the for Chevrolet. The only saving grace of the Aveo is the room. I'm 6'3" and have no issues with headroom in the car. Value is so-so.

Not bad for the PRICE!
By Roy on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Good car for a beginner because it is small. Easy to park and handle. Under the hood isn't hard to work on. This is NOT a high $$ vehicle so no it doesn't have some of the things a pricier model has, but for the price you pay it's a pretty good car. For under $10,000, I bought this car new, I think it was worth the price.

A BIG mistake!
By Connie on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Such a disappointment! I owned it for 6 months & traded it in. Blows all over the road on a windy day, can't imagine how bad it blows around in the winter months. Loses all power going up a hill - by the time you get to the top you could walk faster. Low tire pressure light keeps coming on even though pressure is right. Radio is poor. Cup holder is a joke. All in all just feels junky.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback in VA is:

$133 per month*