Used 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Aveo5 LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Most Helpful|
Many Problems with my car
By kathrynm

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Car broke down every day for three months. I was taking bus because my new car stalled five-six times every hour...on freeways and bridges, all the time. Finally, problem: Oxygen Sensor. Month 2: Windshield cracked bottom to top. Month three: Sway bar kept creaking like a 40 year old clunker. They have re-greased it four times and I still get the same story.just needs grease (every three-four weeks). Rear passenger windows don't roll up...inside is now wet and moldy. Driver floor mat keeps getting caught in clutch pedal. Stereo stopped working. Interior light does not work. Ignition problem. Takes four to five tries...four bent keys...have to twist steering wheel and wiggle. I am sad.

Favorite Features

It is a peppy little car and I loved it when I bought it. Unfortunately, I am no longer in love with it.

Suggested Improvements

There is so many problems with this car I almost wish they'd recall it it.

Least reliable I've ever owned
By bandit96

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2009, knowing full well that I was making a trade off on some of the bells and whistles offered in other models. That's not an issue; if it wasn't for it being an unreliable and expensive piece of junk to run I would still be driving it. I have a mechanical background, and know about driving and maintaining a car to make it last. Unfortunately, in the six years of ownership and only 70k kilometers (43k miles) this heap was in and out of the shop at least a dozen times. The last year of ownership, when it was out of warranty cost me more in repairs then my last GM vehicle did in 10 years and over 350k kms (210k miles). In short, never again a GM for me.

Favorite Features

It was the simple machine I wanted. I liked the look, and the feel of it.

Suggested Improvements

Let GM go bankrupt for real this time. If this is the dreck they bring to market and sell to people they deserve to fail. Chevy was once the best car a working man could buy. Those days are now a distant memory.

do NOT buy
By millerk06

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare since day 1. I have had my tire pressure light looked at over 5 times and it's still not fixed. Going on the interstate is terrible, the air fades out and starts blowing hot and the dealer "doesn't know why". The key hole in the driver's side door has fallen through and is stuck in the door. Its not a quality Chevy, the plant for Daewoo was purchased by Chevy and this is the result - a Korean piece of crap. Read reviews and research before purchasing.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

recall it!

A BIG mistake!
By Connie

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Such a disappointment! I owned it for 6 months & traded it in. Blows all over the road on a windy day, can't imagine how bad it blows around in the winter months. Loses all power going up a hill - by the time you get to the top you could walk faster. Low tire pressure light keeps coming on even though pressure is right. Radio is poor. Cup holder is a joke. All in all just feels junky.

Favorite Features

I like the body shape & color I had, blue moon.

Suggested Improvements

Heavier weight & more power.

piece of junk
By martin71

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2009, I use to but toyota, but I thought I'd give them a chance. It was the biggest mistake I have ever done. Right now I am under the lemon law. Engine keeps missfiring. just had worked on again, Chevy said that they would compensate me for my problems, but when I asked the to give me a 2 year extended warrenty. They said no the best they could is give me is free maintence for a year. Wow free oil changes. Way to go Chevy, thats how you take care off your customers. Once this car is paid off, I will dump it fast. Will be going back to Toyota.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Don't get a Chevy