2009 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
do NOT buy
By millerk06 on 07/17/12 13:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare since day 1. I have had my tire pressure light looked at over 5 times and it's still not fixed. Going on the interstate is terrible, the air fades out and starts blowing hot and the dealer "doesn't know why". The key hole in the driver's side door has fallen through and is stuck in the door. Its not a quality Chevy, the plant for Daewoo was purchased by Chevy and this is the result - a Korean piece of crap. Read reviews and research before purchasing.

Many Problems with my car
By kathrynm on 10/04/11 15:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Car broke down every day for three months. I was taking bus because my new car stalled five-six times every hour...on freeways and bridges, all the time. Finally, problem: Oxygen Sensor. Month 2: Windshield cracked bottom to top. Month three: Sway bar kept creaking like a 40 year old clunker. They have re-greased it four times and I still get the same story.just needs grease (every three-four weeks). Rear passenger windows don't roll up...inside is now wet and moldy. Driver floor mat keeps getting caught in clutch pedal. Stereo stopped working. Interior light does not work. Ignition problem. Takes four to five tries...four bent keys...have to twist steering wheel and wiggle. I am sad.

piece of junk
By martin71 on 07/30/11 18:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2009, I use to but toyota, but I thought I'd give them a chance. It was the biggest mistake I have ever done. Right now I am under the lemon law. Engine keeps missfiring. just had worked on again, Chevy said that they would compensate me for my problems, but when I asked the to give me a 2 year extended warrenty. They said no the best they could is give me is free maintence for a year. Wow free oil changes. Way to go Chevy, thats how you take care off your customers. Once this car is paid off, I will dump it fast. Will be going back to Toyota.

A BIG mistake!
By Connie on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Such a disappointment! I owned it for 6 months & traded it in. Blows all over the road on a windy day, can't imagine how bad it blows around in the winter months. Loses all power going up a hill - by the time you get to the top you could walk faster. Low tire pressure light keeps coming on even though pressure is right. Radio is poor. Cup holder is a joke. All in all just feels junky.

not bad for a subcompact
By BigRed614 on 03/03/10 06:31 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my suv durring cash for clunkers. I looked around a bit, then I went in to my local chevy dealer and asked for the cheapest car on the lot. They gave me the "09 aveo manual hatchback. I have about 4-5 thousand miles on it so far, and this car is great. Gas mileage is great, about 25 city and 38-40 highway. The engine is what you expect, little car little engine, but it does the job, and will get over 100 mph (I tested that the 1st night I had it). Interior is pretty good, a little sparse, but comfy. The roof is high so even my tall friends will fit. Only issue I have w/ it is that all the windows have a tendency to fog up, even w/ the defrost on. But for under $200 a month, GREAT!

So far So good
By Jonathon Peterson on 02/24/10 08:17 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We hesitated to purchase a new vehicle since 1981 due to the huge drop in value. The Aveo is a replacement for an ageing Subaru Justy being towed by our motor home. First we were very surprised that the Aveo was not designed to be towed with drive wheels on the ground. A tow dolly fixed the problem. The economy is right on the numbers with our 5 speed manual and keeping the speed under 60 mph. At 75-80 we still average near 30 mpg. Learn to drive the RPMs not the economy marks on the dash and you get reasonable power. Handling is better than our old Metro, not as quick as the old Subaru, not near as fun (but a much better car) than our 1972 Honda 600. So far, good value for the money

Great Car AVEO 5
By Bill on 12/22/09 09:45 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem I have with this car is some of sensors blink on when it gets really cold. Otherwise I would suggest this ride for anyone. Much roomier than what it looks like from the outside. Thanks Chevy for putting out a great car.

LS
By igotanewcar on 08/07/09 01:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I just picked up my fist new car. Picked it up with 100 miles on it and drove 1000 miles to Florida and it ran great. It averaged 35+mpg and that was running 70 mph on interstate. The downside is it runs at 3250rpm running 70 mph seems high but it is not normal driving for me. I normally drive 55 on the highway going to work and should do much better on mpg. LS package has no air, cd, or cruse. It would be nice but for the price I won't complain. 12000 list price - 1000 rebate and - 4500 cash4clunkers = $6500 before tax, title, license. My dad bought a mazda brand new in 1978 for $6700 hard to imagine 30 years later same price for better vehicle.

GM finally built a good compact car
By Ernie on 07/11/09 18:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a compact car with good Gas mileage. I think I got one with this 2009 Aveo. It's fun to drive. It rides better than I thought it would. and I get 32 MPG in the city. I think GM finally has built a good compact car. It has more pick up than I thought it would. Not to good on a up grade but it's a compact car. I only had it for about a month now and I don't think it has any blind spots in it. The side windows are big. The engine runs quiet and it has a good ride on the highway. only one thing wrong with it, made in Korea. If anyone wants a compact car they should take a good look at a Aveo.

hope its a reliable car !!
By anthony on 05/25/09 07:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I loved this car when I seen it, I loved the style and size/shape, I really wanted it in White with black leatherette interior seats but no extras, my salesman did his best to find one to no avail, he told me in a 500 mile radius from Rutherford, nj there was only 2 aveos with leatherette seats and both cars were loaded, oh well, not a big difference in price, my only concern from past experiences is, if it has a lot of extras, if they break u gotta fix them! I love the dark red with beige leatherette seats I finally got, but all the extra bells and whistles intimidate me, the car doesn't have much pickup when accelerating and there's some dings that I hear in the back that I have no idea where its coming.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo in VA is:

$123 per month*