Used 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Happy with the purchase of my first new car
By T. Jacklin

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new off the lot. Within a few months I noticed a screeching noise out on the open highway in a cross wind. Come to find out it was something to do with the design of the vehicle (not safety) and after a quick fix at the shop, the noise was gone. I wanted a bare bones car. Lets features, less to go wrong, less expense. This car is perfect for me. It can be parked anywhere, not overly spunky but can whip it on the highway. The fuel mileage is great, only a few minor repairs (mostly from lack of use, not over use) like creaky doors, a rear hatch release that sticks, heater only works on blast (at least it works). If you are looking for something to get you from point A to B without a lot of bells and whistles, this is your ride. It now has 78,000kms on her, just had the control arm replaced today, new water pump a couple weeks ago. These are things that are going to need replacing regardless, and I think after 6 years that is fair. Still has original brakes, clutch, wipers, numerous other things. I am more than happy with 'The Intimidator'. I would buy another one in a minute. It's GREAT in the snow! (Granted you know how to drive in it. I am Canadian. I have this skill)

Maybe I should have spent a little more
By Rob

2009 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my aveo new in 2009, taking advantage of cash for clunkers got it for about 8k new so I really can't complain about the price. Over the years ita has treated me alright. During the warranty period I did have to have a gear in the manual transmission replaced which would have been pretty costly if I had to pay for it. Had a spark plug boot recall also which was apparently causing some vehicles to run poorly...never noticed that but got it fixed nonetheless. This car does go through a set of tires in about 30k miles, even less for the cheap ones that came on it new....think I replaced those at about 20k. I have done all maintenance routinely, haven't really had any engine trouble. Did have a phantom check engine light at one point and dealer charged me 100$ to tell me that oxygen sensor was stuck in the open position, quoted me about 500$ to fix but after I reset the light the issue never returned. Had to replace a rear axle bushing to the tune of $300 at about 60k. Front disc breaks have held up well still haven't even had to change the pads at 65kk, mechanic says they have plenty of life left. Although the rear drums are currently getting replaced along with shoes for $400 because the shoe came off one locking up my wheel and not allowing me to go home from work last night. This car is 6 years old and has 65k miles. For the most part it has been reliable and I plan on getting another couple years out of it, but I do feel like I have had to fix more than should have been necessary on such a new car that has been well taken care of. Next time I will go with something a little higher end. Forgot to mention I average about 30 mpg or a little over so can't complain about that!

I paid for this!!
By Rick

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car sucks giant piles of rehashed rubber tires. Worthless. Malfunctions all the time. The latest is the awesome engineering where they put the transmission cooler inside the radiator... YES, inside it. 6 years old, 38k miles and the cooler erodes inside the radiator sending trans fluid into radiator and radiator juice into the tranny. Brilliant!!! Jack wagons. This car was built to fall to pieces so that the consumer is forced to buy a new vehicle. This car is criminal and GM should repay everyone of us who bought the scrap heap. I will NEVER buy a Chevy again. E V E R ! ! ! ! ! ! Tempted to leave that pos at the dealership!

Gives Cheap a whole new meaning.
By David Albee

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 2LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Aveo for going on 5 years now. I should have walked past it the moment that I ran my fingers over the grill and the black paint powder that came off on my finger was present. Now the entire reason for my purchase was that I needed a vehicle that I could drive into the dirt. I commute to work everyday and any vehicle was going to be getting aged prematurely. However, this does not excuse the wiper blades disintegrating in the second month of ownership. I understand that Korea may not have the winters that we Canadians do but wow! Anyhow, new blades on moving forward. Wait, what is that awe-full racket? It can't be the engine already... For crying out loud it sounds like the engine is trying to leap out from under the hood.... Notice in the mail, "Dear Aveo owner please proceed to your nearest Chev dealer to get your wiring replaced as the engineers have discovered an issue with the gaps of your spark plug and wiring harness." As my car is lurching and crying "No kidding there is an issue." . Okay so contact my dealer that I purchased my car from, "Sorry, we can't help you with that." "We don't have the parts to fix it right now.". Click... Wait, what? Yo Rick, I need you to put new plugs in and wiring. "Isn't that a recall? Shouldn't your dealer do that?", to which I replied. "Yes", "Yes they should." "So can you do this?" Driving my now behaving Aveo out of Rick's shop and noting the it will be a cold day in hell before I go back to the dealer. Not long later. "Hmmm, are my headlights dirty?" After looking I realized they were not dirty just one of the bulbs had burned out. No big deal, I have now replaced 3 bulbs. The creme de la creme had to be driving to work one morning and there was a little bit of snow on the road. I am Canadian and have been driving this road since 1989. No problem........ So why am I now staring at a terrified lady facing me and we are traveling in the same direction. I mean her eyes were like dinner plates. After I hit the drifted snow on the side of the road I have come to realize yet another issue with the Aveo. The rear brake has a tendency to lock. Terrifying right... I mean the freaking pad came off the shoe inside the drum...... Think about that for a second.. They are supposed to be molecular bonded to the shoe to prevent that sort of thing from happening. "Yo, Rick!!" "I need you to take a look at this rear brake, something is definitely [non-permissible content removed]!" "Umm, Dave the drum is really stuck on there." - "I know, I scared the H*** out of some lady in a SUV that was behind me, I was looking at her while i was going backward." A couple hours later... "Dave, I have never even heard of this happening." "Once i manage to get the drum off the pad was off the shoe.." Do not under any circumstance buy this vehicle, it redefines cheap and I would swear substandard parts. I honestly can not express how confused I am about how this actually made it to market. Oh and now the screws to the air filter have corroded and I will have to likely cut them and tap them to change the air filter.

Least reliable I've ever owned
By bandit96

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2009, knowing full well that I was making a trade off on some of the bells and whistles offered in other models. That's not an issue; if it wasn't for it being an unreliable and expensive piece of junk to run I would still be driving it. I have a mechanical background, and know about driving and maintaining a car to make it last. Unfortunately, in the six years of ownership and only 70k kilometers (43k miles) this heap was in and out of the shop at least a dozen times. The last year of ownership, when it was out of warranty cost me more in repairs then my last GM vehicle did in 10 years and over 350k kms (210k miles). In short, never again a GM for me.

It was the simple machine I wanted. I liked the look, and the feel of it.

Let GM go bankrupt for real this time. If this is the dreck they bring to market and sell to people they deserve to fail. Chevy was once the best car a working man could buy. Those days are now a distant memory.

• SUV