2009 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
Not too bad for the price
By misslil on 06/11/14 13:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2009 and have put mostly highway miles on it - up to 93,300 now. Get about 33 mpg. Did really great the first 4 years except for having alignment problems. Finally got that worked out. Had problems with AC last summer..fans not blowing much air out of vents. Had to have the rear O2 sensor replaced last month and then the air intake hose this month. Biggest problem is the parts had to come from the dealer and they are outrageously expensive! Approx. $240 for each part. Just read review on another website that the air intake hose was made in 2 parts, but you must buy the whole assembly. Not cool GM. My next car probably won't be a Chevy.

Don't Waste Your Money
By porterfield_a on 10/07/13 20:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the 09 Chevy Aveo5 LT is an "okay" economy vehicle. Plus side is safety, Eco-Friendly, gas mileage and some what dependable. This car would be a great car for a high school/ college student. Not a family vehicle!!! If you decided to purchase this vehicle, please get all warranties and extended warranties. Please take the car to your nearest Chevy Dealer and have all recalls changed immediately. This will save your life (trust me). There isn't much room in the vehicle and there are several problems with the A/C of the vehicle. If you live in Alaska or a cold climate, then you're good. Sucks in FL.

do NOT buy
By millerk06 on 07/17/12 13:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare since day 1. I have had my tire pressure light looked at over 5 times and it's still not fixed. Going on the interstate is terrible, the air fades out and starts blowing hot and the dealer "doesn't know why". The key hole in the driver's side door has fallen through and is stuck in the door. Its not a quality Chevy, the plant for Daewoo was purchased by Chevy and this is the result - a Korean piece of crap. Read reviews and research before purchasing.

Not bad for the money
By docsbw on 04/11/12 11:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car hauls me up over a 9000 ft summit at 70 mph, granted it is singing for all its worth but it gets the job done. 32 mpg highway. Handles well. Has some cheap stuff like drink holder and hood release, gas cap and interior plastic parts. It was thousands cheaper than the stripped toyota and we have cruise, tilt power everything and on star. Overall its ok 3 out of 5. Has had some issues with front end and ate a set of tires in 20k miles. It is a inexpensive economy car, not a caddy. If I had the extra 4k I would buy the toyota but then you start getting into a lot more money higher payments etc for ECONOMY.

Aveo Manual shift
By powen1 on 01/03/12 12:05 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

You must have a dealer change the oil & filter as the clutch assembly is wedged against the filter housing. It is absurd. After a year finally got a dealer tech. to admit is was a poor design from chevy & they stopped making such. However, chevy never told us about this problem or did a recall. Also the dealers now tell us that they only can change the oil as the whole clutch assembly must be dropped and the filter itself cost extra. Also there is always residual oil drops from the change and the burning smell in the engine. Our idea was to have an inexpensive & easily maintained car, which it is not, it is just cheap! We have received NO satisfaction from the dealers.

buy a bike. it will save you gas, money, and your life...
By xoamandapanda on 12/16/11 16:57 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 1LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had been driving a 1997 Ford Taurus which randomly broke down on the road and I needed something safer than that, so we bought this car. Last night, I was in a horrendous car accident. The entire front of my car was taken off even at 7 mph (an Acura MDX slammed into me- not my fault). I was not hurt and neither was my passenger. My airbags did not deploy and Onstar never called. I called to complain to Chevy and all they could do was say I wasn't hit in the right spot for the air bags to deploy. The pick up is garbage and I am often beeped at for not being able to accelerate. I also get about 16-18 mpg city. I use a gallon of gas each day going 20 miles. I will NEVER buy another Chevy.

Many Problems with my car
By kathrynm on 10/04/11 15:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Car broke down every day for three months. I was taking bus because my new car stalled five-six times every hour...on freeways and bridges, all the time. Finally, problem: Oxygen Sensor. Month 2: Windshield cracked bottom to top. Month three: Sway bar kept creaking like a 40 year old clunker. They have re-greased it four times and I still get the same story.just needs grease (every three-four weeks). Rear passenger windows don't roll up...inside is now wet and moldy. Driver floor mat keeps getting caught in clutch pedal. Stereo stopped working. Interior light does not work. Ignition problem. Takes four to five tries...four bent keys...have to twist steering wheel and wiggle. I am sad.

AVOID! ANY OTHER CAR WOULD BE BETTER!
By aveosucks on 09/26/11 10:01 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 2LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Good: Cute and has onstar and XM. Bad: Having the Aveo5 for not even 2 years, if I added up all the repairs (warranty or not) they would exceed the cost of the car. Cheap if you can't afford ANY other subcompact but built only to drive to the store and back. Car was in for repairs within 48 hours of purchase. Suggestion: buy a LENGTHY and comprehensive warranty, you'll need it!

piece of junk
By martin71 on 07/30/11 18:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2009, I use to but toyota, but I thought I'd give them a chance. It was the biggest mistake I have ever done. Right now I am under the lemon law. Engine keeps missfiring. just had worked on again, Chevy said that they would compensate me for my problems, but when I asked the to give me a 2 year extended warrenty. They said no the best they could is give me is free maintence for a year. Wow free oil changes. Way to go Chevy, thats how you take care off your customers. Once this car is paid off, I will dump it fast. Will be going back to Toyota.

Already want to trade in after only 3 months.
By bkm89 on 04/02/11 16:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Aveo 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Three months ago I traded in my truck to find a car with better gas mileage. We found an aveo. My parents really liked it, and the dealer(my fathers cousin) also told us it was a very good car. Not the case. I have no good things to say. The gas mileage is nowhere near the expected I get no better than 25, and all my driving is highway or back roads. Not good in the snow even with studded directionals. The heater makes a ticking noise, very loud especially on highway. Radio cuts out when you turn on the rear window defrost. Whistling noise if you hit 60mph sometimes lower than that. Looks and feels cheaply made inside. Doesn't meet my expectations worst car I've owned.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo in VA is:

$123 per month*