An unrecognized gem of a car
By Jerry on
2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)
I did my research on this vehicle before I purchased, so I knew what to expect. Great value for the money. I love the car, its lots of fun to drive and I highly recommend it. In regards to fuel economy, oddly the DOT estimates rate this car as 34mpg/24mpg. I have gotten 37 mpg highway and 33 mpg in mixed driving with the 5 speed manual transmission during the winter. I expect to get even better gas mileage during the warmer months. To maximize fuel economy, I would suggest to keep the tachometer at around 1,200-1,500 rpms when shifting gears, and accelerate smoothly, no jack rabbit starts. During highway driving, try to keep the speed between 55 and 60 mph and the tach around 2500 rpms.
Favorite Features
Tilt steering, driver side lumbar seat support, great styling (looks like the Scion XA), tire pressure monitoring system. Comfort, handling and acceleration was fine for me. You have to pace yourself. Its not a race car! The seats were very comfortable and the car has a great solid "large car" feel.
Suggested Improvements
I would like to have a more substantial better arm rest and cup holders. A CD player as standard equipment would have been nicer. I would have liked a fuel/oil monitoring system, and timing chain instead of belt. Would like to have even better gas mileage. Still a great deal of a car!