Used 2008 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

2008 Aveo
By Mary from Hilo

2008 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was disappointed in buying the 2008 Aveo. The car was defective with no parking light, driving panel lights and shifter indicator light. The dealership closed that day and I was pressured into buying the car. I drove the car not feeling safe in it.

Favorite Features

The good feature is the front left driver side door. You will need a key to lock the door from outside it will not lock from inside.

Suggested Improvements

The Aveo need improvements with their electrical system.

Used 2008-5
By Steve

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought a used Aveo 5 with 5speed. I earlier had bought a new intro Aveo in 2004. I was never quite happy with the mileage. I aso found the shifter really mushy and it really needed an armrest. Those issues are fixed in the 2008. I get 37+ on the highway (70-75mph) and the old one would only get 33 if you babied it at <65mph. The shifter is much improved, it now has an armrest an the handling is much tighter. I gave up A/C to get a cheap purchase price but haven't missed A/C so far. I still am concerned about the reported troublesome timing belt but will just plan on 50K replacement. All-in-all I find the Aveo 5 very fine for my needs- inexpensive-fun to drive- efficient.

Favorite Features

Mileage - inexpensive

throttle body
By Mary

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Aveo, but am not excited about my fuel consumption. I live in Canada and am supposed to get up to 49 mpg and I average 36mpg. I am guessing now that it could have something to do with my throttle body as it is presently in the shop being replaced. On Friday my service engine light came on, I had been noticing a choppy feeling in the car and thought it wasn't getting its fuel properly for some time now but tried to explain it off for something else. When the light came on I had no other choice than to except my first assumption. Hopefully this change will improve my gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Comfy seats have taken a 7 hr trip and was pleasantly surprised that I did not have a sore butt after the trip. Love the smoothness of the stick shift. And the fact that I have to use key to lock the driver door is great, haven't locked my keys in the car once.

Suggested Improvements

More storage needed for CDs, less flimsy cup holders and better located, as you cannot plug in your cell charger when it is open.

An honest review
By Clark

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd Aveo hatchback. My 1st was a 2004 (1st year production). It was the automatic and I learned that to get the most out of this vehicle, I should have gotten the 5-speed. I only had this car for 1 year as I traded it on a Honda Element. I regretted it from day one. Anyway, last year (2008) I purchased another Aveo5 LS 5-speed new for $12,000 "out-the-door". It was equipped with factory cruise control and was pinstriped! I now have almost 25,000 miles on it and it still is a great car! I get an honest 35 MPG without the air on and 32 with the air on. I have noticed that on the highway I only get 30 MPG when the cruise is set to 72 MPH. Great car..minor issues covered by warranty.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, very comfortable (I'm 6', 245 lbs.), very solid, no rattles, original tires still good at 24,000 miles, very reliable, easy oil change, GET THE 5-SPEED and the car becomes FUN. The auto tranny slows response. Great headlights, tracks well, easy to maneuver.

Suggested Improvements

Clutch developed an annoying "click" when being depressed and again when engaging. Window regulator on driver's side skipped a gear when cranking the window up. Dealer fixed both free. This car will "bottom out" with a full tank and 3-4 adults. Needs stronger suspension. Arm rest way to low.

love this lil car
By nanafonda

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was searching for a used car, well a man I know buys wrecked cars and fixes them up, I happened to see this lil 08 Aveo, and bought it on the spot, the front bumper is cracked but other than that it looks great, I drive alot because I am a grandma and the Aveo gets great mpg. The check engine light was flickering and the mechanic said it just needed an o2 sensor, not bad for 48000 miles runs and drives like new, o and the bumper is only 130.00 online!

Favorite Features

the ick up speed is awesome

Suggested Improvements

the seats are a little uncomfortable but wash up nicely after my three gran- babies get out lol