Used 2008 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Aveo

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

Worst car I have ever owned
By Ane

2008 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car reminds me of a slow horse. I probably would have been better off buying a horse! It has very poor pick up. It is very uncomfortable. Can't drive more than 30 miles without a backache or knees killing you. I put more gas in this car than I did in my van and NO I DON'T DRIVE MORE! I have to stop for gas alot more though. I hate this car. DO NOT BUY ONE unless you are looking for a car for the new driver in your house for school and a part time job. Overpriced for the quality. Oh and did I say how much I hate this car? The intermittent wipers are too fast! Good God

NONE

Improve by not building anymore, or better seating better wipers and do not lie about the MPG's!!!!!

sorry i bought it
By everett

2008 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

When gas prices started rising we decided to buy an economy car. The Aveo was advertised at getting app. 34 mpg. This car is not what we expected. It has a slow jumpy start until it warms up, it only gets 17 to 18 mpg. The accelerator acts like its stuck wide open when it is started for the first time in the mornings. I have been told by the dealer that the engine is performing the way it was designed to.Most of my driving is to and from work, which is a 40 mile round trip. The gas mileage does not vary if my driving is on the highway or in town with a lot of starts and stops.

I like the easy to clean seat covers.

Door locks that could be locked without having to use the key.

2008 Aveo
By Mary from Hilo

2008 Chevrolet Aveo LS 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I was disappointed in buying the 2008 Aveo. The car was defective with no parking light, driving panel lights and shifter indicator light. The dealership closed that day and I was pressured into buying the car. I drove the car not feeling safe in it.

The good feature is the front left driver side door. You will need a key to lock the door from outside it will not lock from inside.

The Aveo need improvements with their electrical system.

Used 2008-5
By Steve

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought a used Aveo 5 with 5speed. I earlier had bought a new intro Aveo in 2004. I was never quite happy with the mileage. I aso found the shifter really mushy and it really needed an armrest. Those issues are fixed in the 2008. I get 37+ on the highway (70-75mph) and the old one would only get 33 if you babied it at <65mph. The shifter is much improved, it now has an armrest an the handling is much tighter. I gave up A/C to get a cheap purchase price but haven't missed A/C so far. I still am concerned about the reported troublesome timing belt but will just plan on 50K replacement. All-in-all I find the Aveo 5 very fine for my needs- inexpensive-fun to drive- efficient.

Mileage - inexpensive

throttle body
By Mary

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Aveo, but am not excited about my fuel consumption. I live in Canada and am supposed to get up to 49 mpg and I average 36mpg. I am guessing now that it could have something to do with my throttle body as it is presently in the shop being replaced. On Friday my service engine light came on, I had been noticing a choppy feeling in the car and thought it wasn't getting its fuel properly for some time now but tried to explain it off for something else. When the light came on I had no other choice than to except my first assumption. Hopefully this change will improve my gas mileage.

Comfy seats have taken a 7 hr trip and was pleasantly surprised that I did not have a sore butt after the trip. Love the smoothness of the stick shift. And the fact that I have to use key to lock the driver door is great, haven't locked my keys in the car once.

More storage needed for CDs, less flimsy cup holders and better located, as you cannot plug in your cell charger when it is open.