2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
Appreciated
By mark on 06/25/08 13:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

All in all this car is fun to drive, lots of room. Found it in no way cramped even though I am over 6 ft tall. Small but makes you think you are in larger car. Great value for what you get! Paid more for my bike then this car. Great for my long commutes to the oil sands.

Try it for yourself!
By Bob on 05/29/08 12:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have seen just a few reviews that dont like the Aveo. I have had mine six months and some of the complaints are hard to understand. Gas mileage and room are the two that bother me most. Only a few have written but I would like to say I get 36 to 41+ driving country roads and some city. No highway. I am 6 ft 1 in tall weigh 265 pounds and it is more room than I need. My nephew is 6 ft 5 in tall and he has no problem at all. I have 7000+ miles on my car and I love it. So all I can say is try it out make your own decision. It is by far the least inexpensive. I paid $8998 with air. Super car to me.

Don't buy - poor gas mileage
By Tim in Maryland on 05/11/08 04:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving this car for 3 months now. I average 22.5 MPG in mostly suburban driving, with a roundtrip distance to work of 20 miles each day. I also use it to deliver papers in every morning, which takes about 30 minutes. I use to do the same routine in a Honda Civic which had a larger engine and got 30 MPG. So I am very disapointed with the fuel economy. Even open road driving you can watch that gas gauge visibly drop. You cannot lock the driver side door except by using the key - this is a pain when you have bundles to carry and/or its raining.

Super Kid Car
By robinfla1 on 05/08/08 12:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this to replace a Ford Explored the daughter was driving to college. The Exploder was costing me $75 a week in gas. The Aveo (Buttercup) as she calls it run me $30 a week. She can fit her large drum set in it, and all her junk. It's a great little car, and a super value for the money. 12K tax and tag.

Outstanding little car
By Big Kahuna on 05/08/08 07:28 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I researched everything under $20k. My Aveo is loaded with everything they had and was still sub $15k. What a great car. Small enough to be economical, heavy enough to ride smoothly and quietly. I'm 6'0 275 lbs. Best fit of any car smaller than Chevy Malibu. If you're looking for zoom-zoom, this is not for you. If you want a comfy ride, low road and engine noise, plenty of interior room, upscale accessories and good mileage (I avg. 32) all at a great price, then the Aveo is your ride. Much better than Yaris, Scion, Versa, Fit. There are some bad reviews out there, but that's true with any car. I have been a Toyota believer for 30 yrs. The Aveo beats every other small car hands down!

Poor gas mileage, very dissappointed
By none on 05/07/08 17:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for the gas mileage. I drive at least 30 miles a day in my commute to work 6 days a week. Supposedly it gets 33 mpg highway. I drive the express lanes at 60 mph every day with 2 to 3 miles of my commute on surface streets. I am getting between 22 to 24 mpg consistently. I am very disappointed. My son is 6 foot tall and even with the seat all the way back his legs are almost resting on the steering wheel. It comes with an arm rest which is so far back in the seat it barely reaches my hip and is so low that I can only rest my wrist on it if I reach behind me. As far as driving goes it is easy to drive. I have to fill up every 4 days. My other car went 1 1/2 weeks per fill up.

Initial ownership observations
By SVM H-back on 05/04/08 10:34 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I would recommend this car to others based on initial driving. It has exceeded my expectations, which were for a small, simple, economical car. First tank of gas off the dealer's lot in 60/40 highway/city driving for 2 different drivers yielded 32.8 mpg. Haven't owned it long enough to rate build and reliability. For an economy car, I find the engine performance more than adequate, although not fast. 65mph comes in at just under 3000rpm. Ride is comfortable for a small car. Like the forward dash and high ceilings, which create greater interior room. Initially looked for used, but price of a new (with A/C installed by dealer) came in within budget.

Happier than ever
By excellent car on 05/03/08 12:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is the kind of car that these manufacturers are producing. Good on gas, drives like a big car, fun to drive, most specially, very practical. For a single mom like me, there is no car in the market that is comparable with the quality, prize for your money and so far no major problem. I just follow the maintenance schedule and voila, the car just simply perform and does its job. I will highly recommend this as a good buy

I love this small car!
By Bob on 05/01/08 17:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned about 6 months, 6000+ miles. Was impressed when I bought and even more so now. Fit and finish inside and out is still excellent. No new noise or vibrations. Still tight and solid. I am 6 ft 1 in tall weigh 265 lbs. I am very comfortable. The ride is super for such a small cheap (cost not build) car. Was getting 39 to 41 mpg driving very conservitive. Tried driving more agressive and still got 37 mpg. This is with some city more country driving with stops. No highway. Based only on my experence it is the best small car I have ever owned. Have had Toyota, Honda, Ford, Mazda. Am 52 years old. Had a lot of cars. I hope everyone finds a car they like as much as I do this one.

A much under rated car
By Kelly C. Johnson on 05/01/08 17:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I am a car enthusiast who wanted a car that was low in price but would be fun to drive .This car has more than exceeded expectations The car we bought is bright blue , has manual tranny , roll up windows , six speaker upgraded CD radio , optional 15 inch aluminum wheels. Upgrades after purchase include hood protector, custom side moulding, LED tail light bulbs. A local performance shop fabricated a straight thru flowmaster muffler and pipe that bolted onto the original exhaust to give car a bit of a growl and more get up and go. My wife refers to the Aveo as a Flintstones Pedal Car" because it is so small and unadorned with frills. I just love it , best car I have ever owned.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback in VA is:

$129 per month*