Used 2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

1.5 year review
By Matthew505

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since 4/08. A few comments: The bad- she hates the snow here in Chicago. Handles well driving, but be prepared to shovel or use traction pads when parallel parking with over 5 inches on the ground. The smaller tires, very low power+ low to the ground= tough parking. Other issues: small tires treads will pick up every stone in the road. You will hear them when the windows are down- annoying. Good: only maintenance done outside of oil was a brake job around 14K miles. Rotors rusted. Only drive about 15 miles a day, but lots of stop and go. Overall, not a bad car. Wanted cheap car, got one that works. Bought an aftermarket radio and speakers, so all is well with the commute.

Lumbar support, Sun glass holder, easy street parking, cargo space. Decent interior.

Too little power for too much gas. "Almost" on both, but Chevy fell short here. Car needs more HP and better gas mileage to improve. In total, I have no regrets with this purchase.

I love it!!!
By Bob from PA

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to drive to and from work,35 miles 1 way. I've owned the car for 1-1/2 years now and have 30,000 miles racked up. On average I get 39+ MPG with summer tires, and 35 MPG with winter tires. Both more than the advertised 34 MPG, WOOHOO. For 10,754.14 out the door and delivered to my place of work, you'll not get a better deal. I'm 5'11" and 300+ pounds and have plenty of room. The tires do wear a little odd, and the paint has worn off right in front of the rear doors and rocker panels from winter driving. The arm rest are in awkward positions. All in all, I LOVE IT!!!

39+ MPG. Price. Fun to drive. The looks I get from people whenever I get out.

Paint wear, I've noticed on several Aveos. Maybe an aerodynamic flaw. IDK. Arm rest on the doors are to low. The pros outweigh the cons by far. If you want an inexpensive reliable car, this is it. 1 thing to remember your buying the least expensive car on the road. You can't compare it to a Caddy.

Nice window
By Amanda

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had had my chevy aveo for 1 year and I placed my dog in the back seat and shut the door. I than proceed to the drivers side and I noticed that the hatchback window shattered and it cost $1000 to replace. I think that the cars parts are cheaply designed and are very expensive to replace. The gas mileage is great and the space for a small 4 door car is great but other than those 2 things I think the car is cheaply made and not a reliable car.

Windows should be a part of warranty if they are more than $500 dollars

Go for some other car
By Rodolfo

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Like a toy car. Everything is plastic and cheap. Minor but constant and annoying issues with brake lights, hatchback lock, pulls left. Chevrolet's expensive and mediocre technical service. Fuel consumption is disappointing. Manual gearbox feels "sticky" and slow. Overall mediocre car. Boring, cheap feeling, noisy.

Color

GM should be able to build better small cars

Used 2008-5
By Steve

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought a used Aveo 5 with 5speed. I earlier had bought a new intro Aveo in 2004. I was never quite happy with the mileage. I aso found the shifter really mushy and it really needed an armrest. Those issues are fixed in the 2008. I get 37+ on the highway (70-75mph) and the old one would only get 33 if you babied it at <65mph. The shifter is much improved, it now has an armrest an the handling is much tighter. I gave up A/C to get a cheap purchase price but haven't missed A/C so far. I still am concerned about the reported troublesome timing belt but will just plan on 50K replacement. All-in-all I find the Aveo 5 very fine for my needs- inexpensive-fun to drive- efficient.

Mileage - inexpensive