Used 2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

I love it!!!
By Bob from PA

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to drive to and from work,35 miles 1 way. I've owned the car for 1-1/2 years now and have 30,000 miles racked up. On average I get 39+ MPG with summer tires, and 35 MPG with winter tires. Both more than the advertised 34 MPG, WOOHOO. For 10,754.14 out the door and delivered to my place of work, you'll not get a better deal. I'm 5'11" and 300+ pounds and have plenty of room. The tires do wear a little odd, and the paint has worn off right in front of the rear doors and rocker panels from winter driving. The arm rest are in awkward positions. All in all, I LOVE IT!!!

39+ MPG. Price. Fun to drive. The looks I get from people whenever I get out.

Paint wear, I've noticed on several Aveos. Maybe an aerodynamic flaw. IDK. Arm rest on the doors are to low. The pros outweigh the cons by far. If you want an inexpensive reliable car, this is it. 1 thing to remember your buying the least expensive car on the road. You can't compare it to a Caddy.

Nice window
By Amanda

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had had my chevy aveo for 1 year and I placed my dog in the back seat and shut the door. I than proceed to the drivers side and I noticed that the hatchback window shattered and it cost $1000 to replace. I think that the cars parts are cheaply designed and are very expensive to replace. The gas mileage is great and the space for a small 4 door car is great but other than those 2 things I think the car is cheaply made and not a reliable car.

Windows should be a part of warranty if they are more than $500 dollars

Go for some other car
By Rodolfo

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Like a toy car. Everything is plastic and cheap. Minor but constant and annoying issues with brake lights, hatchback lock, pulls left. Chevrolet's expensive and mediocre technical service. Fuel consumption is disappointing. Manual gearbox feels "sticky" and slow. Overall mediocre car. Boring, cheap feeling, noisy.

Color

GM should be able to build better small cars

Used 2008-5
By Steve

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought a used Aveo 5 with 5speed. I earlier had bought a new intro Aveo in 2004. I was never quite happy with the mileage. I aso found the shifter really mushy and it really needed an armrest. Those issues are fixed in the 2008. I get 37+ on the highway (70-75mph) and the old one would only get 33 if you babied it at <65mph. The shifter is much improved, it now has an armrest an the handling is much tighter. I gave up A/C to get a cheap purchase price but haven't missed A/C so far. I still am concerned about the reported troublesome timing belt but will just plan on 50K replacement. All-in-all I find the Aveo 5 very fine for my needs- inexpensive-fun to drive- efficient.

Mileage - inexpensive

throttle body
By Mary

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Aveo, but am not excited about my fuel consumption. I live in Canada and am supposed to get up to 49 mpg and I average 36mpg. I am guessing now that it could have something to do with my throttle body as it is presently in the shop being replaced. On Friday my service engine light came on, I had been noticing a choppy feeling in the car and thought it wasn't getting its fuel properly for some time now but tried to explain it off for something else. When the light came on I had no other choice than to except my first assumption. Hopefully this change will improve my gas mileage.

Comfy seats have taken a 7 hr trip and was pleasantly surprised that I did not have a sore butt after the trip. Love the smoothness of the stick shift. And the fact that I have to use key to lock the driver door is great, haven't locked my keys in the car once.

More storage needed for CDs, less flimsy cup holders and better located, as you cannot plug in your cell charger when it is open.