Used 2008 Chevrolet Aveo Aveo5 Special Value Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

extremely dissapointed
By annie53

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car. I was so excited, since my husband bought a 2004 Aveo and was getting a solid 40 mpg. Then, I bought my 2008. From the first week when I wound up with the new tire gauge light lit up. "Really, couldn't they have checked the tires before I picked it up?!?!?" Constant issues with the tire light. Too cold in the morning, lites up, too warm in the afternoon, lites up, and several trips to the dealer when they say nothing is wrong. No matter what I or my husband drove could not get more than 24 mpg in it. Again the dealer said nothing was wrong with it. First set of tires (in both Aveos) needed before 6000 miles. GM put the cheapest garbage they could.

None

Then, my husbands Aveo lost a timing belt at a little over 60,000 miles. Blew the entire engine. Cost a small fortune and Chevy said it wasn't covered under warranty. I'm approaching 60,000 in my 2008. 60,000 mile service is like $600, which interestingly enough does not include replacement of the belt which is EXPECTED to break after 60,000. I will be buying something else next time!

Unsafe for passenger safety
By Tom

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Despite good safety rating, these cars consistently do not provide passenger airbag protection for passengers less than 120 lbs. If you are less than 100 lbs on the passenger side, you can guarantee that the airbag will be off. We took the car back to the dealer 3 times, averaging 4 days each time - and they claimed nothing is wrong. They DO KNOW that these seat sensors were set too high, and there is nothing they can do to fix it. Not only have we experienced this in our car, we've driven rentals of 2009 and 2010 heritage, and the same problem exists in these other years. The service manager said "No problem exists because the computer did not register any faults". Ha, ha, ha. Stupid!

If you go slow, 55 mpg, you will get over 40 MPG. I averaged 37 going about 65 mph.

Fix the darn passenger sensor or give us a manual override to turn it on.

Nice little car
By TLevine

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Aveo, the first one got totaled after I hit a deer and totaled it. If you are wanting a sports car then do not even go for the Aveo. If you are wanting a good reliable car then this is it. I drive a 100 miles a day round trip and fill up the gas tank twice a week. The 5- speed manual transmission is the best way to go with these little cars. Good little car for the price could not ask for more.

1.5 year review
By Matthew505

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since 4/08. A few comments: The bad- she hates the snow here in Chicago. Handles well driving, but be prepared to shovel or use traction pads when parallel parking with over 5 inches on the ground. The smaller tires, very low power+ low to the ground= tough parking. Other issues: small tires treads will pick up every stone in the road. You will hear them when the windows are down- annoying. Good: only maintenance done outside of oil was a brake job around 14K miles. Rotors rusted. Only drive about 15 miles a day, but lots of stop and go. Overall, not a bad car. Wanted cheap car, got one that works. Bought an aftermarket radio and speakers, so all is well with the commute.

Lumbar support, Sun glass holder, easy street parking, cargo space. Decent interior.

Too little power for too much gas. "Almost" on both, but Chevy fell short here. Car needs more HP and better gas mileage to improve. In total, I have no regrets with this purchase.

I love it!!!
By Bob from PA

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to drive to and from work,35 miles 1 way. I've owned the car for 1-1/2 years now and have 30,000 miles racked up. On average I get 39+ MPG with summer tires, and 35 MPG with winter tires. Both more than the advertised 34 MPG, WOOHOO. For 10,754.14 out the door and delivered to my place of work, you'll not get a better deal. I'm 5'11" and 300+ pounds and have plenty of room. The tires do wear a little odd, and the paint has worn off right in front of the rear doors and rocker panels from winter driving. The arm rest are in awkward positions. All in all, I LOVE IT!!!

39+ MPG. Price. Fun to drive. The looks I get from people whenever I get out.

Paint wear, I've noticed on several Aveos. Maybe an aerodynamic flaw. IDK. Arm rest on the doors are to low. The pros outweigh the cons by far. If you want an inexpensive reliable car, this is it. 1 thing to remember your buying the least expensive car on the road. You can't compare it to a Caddy.