Used 2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

A TRUE AMERICAN MADE LEMON
By lemon

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Never buy a chevy aveo , it is a piece of crap!! Had to put a radiator in it , transmission , computer, and now head gasket blown!! Nothing but a waste of money wanna take a baseball bat and beat it to pieces.They really need to take theses lemons off the market.I am extremely disappointed and will never buy a chevy again

This Car Sucks
By cjk67

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this thing used in 2011. It had 24k miles on it at the time. Immediately, the battery had to be replaced. Since then, hoses, water pump, and tires have had to be replaced. The gas cap door has fallen off and the driver's side door lock fell in. A piece of plastic near the rear passenger door fell off. It's the worst freakin' car I've ever owned and that includes the Jaguar that was always in the shop. I will never own another Chevy.

None.

Burn the plans and start all over.

extremely dissapointed
By annie53

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car.
I was so excited, since my husband bought a 2004 Aveo and was getting a solid 40 mpg.
Then, I bought my 2008.
From the first week when I wound up with the new tire gauge light lit up. "Really, couldn't they have checked the tires before I picked it up?!?!?"
Constant issues with the tire light.
Too cold in the morning, lites up, too warm in the afternoon, lites up,
and several trips to the dealer when they say nothing is wrong.
No matter what I or my husband drove could not get more than 24 mpg in it.
Again the dealer said nothing was wrong with it.
First set of tires (in both Aveos) needed before 6000 miles.
GM put the cheapest garbage they could.

None

Then, my husbands Aveo lost a timing belt at a little over 60,000 miles. Blew the entire engine. Cost a small fortune and Chevy said it wasn't covered under warranty. I'm approaching 60,000 in my 2008. 60,000 mile service is like $600, which interestingly enough does not include replacement of the belt which is EXPECTED to break after 60,000. I will be buying something else next time!

Unsafe for passenger safety
By Tom

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Despite good safety rating, these cars consistently do not provide passenger airbag protection for passengers less than 120 lbs. If you are less than 100 lbs on the passenger side, you can guarantee that the airbag will be off. We took the car back to the dealer 3 times, averaging 4 days each time - and they claimed nothing is wrong. They DO KNOW that these seat sensors were set too high, and there is nothing they can do to fix it. Not only have we experienced this in our car, we've driven rentals of 2009 and 2010 heritage, and the same problem exists in these other years. The service manager said "No problem exists because the computer did not register any faults". Ha, ha, ha. Stupid!

If you go slow, 55 mpg, you will get over 40 MPG. I averaged 37 going about 65 mph.

Fix the darn passenger sensor or give us a manual override to turn it on.

Nice little car
By TLevine

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Hatchback 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Aveo, the first one got totaled after I hit a deer and totaled it. If you are wanting a sports car then do not even go for the Aveo. If you are wanting a good reliable car then this is it. I drive a 100 miles a day round trip and fill up the gas tank twice a week. The 5- speed manual transmission is the best way to go with these little cars. Good little car for the price could not ask for more.