2008 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:
extremely dissapointed
By annie53 on 11/02/11 18:33 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car. I was so excited, since my husband bought a 2004 Aveo and was getting a solid 40 mpg. Then, I bought my 2008. From the first week when I wound up with the new tire gauge light lit up. "Really, couldn't they have checked the tires before I picked it up?!?!?" Constant issues with the tire light. Too cold in the morning, lites up, too warm in the afternoon, lites up, and several trips to the dealer when they say nothing is wrong. No matter what I or my husband drove could not get more than 24 mpg in it. Again the dealer said nothing was wrong with it. First set of tires (in both Aveos) needed before 6000 miles. GM put the cheapest garbage they could.

Unsafe for passenger safety
By Tom on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Despite good safety rating, these cars consistently do not provide passenger airbag protection for passengers less than 120 lbs. If you are less than 100 lbs on the passenger side, you can guarantee that the airbag will be off. We took the car back to the dealer 3 times, averaging 4 days each time - and they claimed nothing is wrong. They DO KNOW that these seat sensors were set too high, and there is nothing they can do to fix it. Not only have we experienced this in our car, we've driven rentals of 2009 and 2010 heritage, and the same problem exists in these other years. The service manager said "No problem exists because the computer did not register any faults". Ha, ha, ha. Stupid!

Nice little car
By TLevine on 03/21/10 15:11 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Aveo, the first one got totaled after I hit a deer and totaled it. If you are wanting a sports car then do not even go for the Aveo. If you are wanting a good reliable car then this is it. I drive a 100 miles a day round trip and fill up the gas tank twice a week. The 5- speed manual transmission is the best way to go with these little cars. Good little car for the price could not ask for more.

1.5 year review
By Matthew505 on 03/11/10 12:46 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since 4/08. A few comments: The bad- she hates the snow here in Chicago. Handles well driving, but be prepared to shovel or use traction pads when parallel parking with over 5 inches on the ground. The smaller tires, very low power+ low to the ground= tough parking. Other issues: small tires treads will pick up every stone in the road. You will hear them when the windows are down- annoying. Good: only maintenance done outside of oil was a brake job around 14K miles. Rotors rusted. Only drive about 15 miles a day, but lots of stop and go. Overall, not a bad car. Wanted cheap car, got one that works. Bought an aftermarket radio and speakers, so all is well with the commute.

I love it!!!
By Bob from PA on 11/29/09 07:47 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to drive to and from work,35 miles 1 way. I've owned the car for 1-1/2 years now and have 30,000 miles racked up. On average I get 39+ MPG with summer tires, and 35 MPG with winter tires. Both more than the advertised 34 MPG, WOOHOO. For 10,754.14 out the door and delivered to my place of work, you'll not get a better deal. I'm 5'11" and 300+ pounds and have plenty of room. The tires do wear a little odd, and the paint has worn off right in front of the rear doors and rocker panels from winter driving. The arm rest are in awkward positions. All in all, I LOVE IT!!!

Nice window
By Amanda on 11/13/09 12:22 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had had my chevy aveo for 1 year and I placed my dog in the back seat and shut the door. I than proceed to the drivers side and I noticed that the hatchback window shattered and it cost $1000 to replace. I think that the cars parts are cheaply designed and are very expensive to replace. The gas mileage is great and the space for a small 4 door car is great but other than those 2 things I think the car is cheaply made and not a reliable car.

Used 2008-5
By Steve on 09/26/09 09:30 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought a used Aveo 5 with 5speed. I earlier had bought a new intro Aveo in 2004. I was never quite happy with the mileage. I aso found the shifter really mushy and it really needed an armrest. Those issues are fixed in the 2008. I get 37+ on the highway (70-75mph) and the old one would only get 33 if you babied it at <65mph. The shifter is much improved, it now has an armrest an the handling is much tighter. I gave up A/C to get a cheap purchase price but haven't missed A/C so far. I still am concerned about the reported troublesome timing belt but will just plan on 50K replacement. All-in-all I find the Aveo 5 very fine for my needs- inexpensive-fun to drive- efficient.

Great Small Car
By maroguy1 on 12/16/08 17:24 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a winter/mileage maker instead of driving my 05 GTO. I average 35 mpg on country road driving. The price and warranty were excellent. I paid under 8k with incentives. If you are looking for a cheap reliable car with 100k mile warranty this is it!

I expected to hate it!
By TEaK on 09/21/08 20:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Based on other reviews I've read, it seems to me that the people who are most dissatisfied with this car are those who expect to get a Corvette or a Cadillac for the Aveo's price. After my test drive, I was really quite impressed. It's obviously no Corvette, but it accelerates better than I expected. The engine is smooth and the 5 speed transmission is easy to drive. I am 6' tall. I have plenty of head & leg room in both the driver and passenger seats. The seats are firm, but comfortable. I've driven the Aveo for an hour on the highway several times with no comfort problems. The hatchback holds tons of stuff. Taken it to the hardware store and Costco and were able to haul everything we needed.

Best in show for price
By phil on 07/23/08 23:45 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Aveo 5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car three weeks ago and I havent looked back. I bought the Value Special stickered for $10,700. I paid $7700. There is no car anywhere close to this price that performs this well. I don't feel buying this car loaded is a smart deal at $14,500. But at $11K to $8K you cant go wrong. Rides nice. front seats fit me great. Great 5 speed transmission. Shifts smooth. Good fit and well I think it is fun to drive. I drive 300 miles a week for work and spend around $36 to $38 in gas a week. Payments are low, gas bills are low. What is not to like. Sure there are nicer cars out there but at twice the price.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.